Mexico Fishing Trips

Well looks like the rates at the resorts in Huatulco have really gone up. We found a place in Matzatlan so that is where we are going. Hopefully I can do some fishing there

Just returned from PV and did a full day trip offshore. Our foremost goal was to get something tasty to grill up. We basically mooched live bait for the first 4-5 hours with only one small Toro to the boat. After that the guide suggested we move inshore and we trolled squirts tied off large rapalas (the same we we use a flasher). It was pretty steady action of Spanish Mackerel and a few Bonito for a few hours before heading home. Overall we had hoped to get some Dorado or something larger but still had a great time.

The captain was brutally honest too in saying he is lucky to get “ Trophy fish “ like Dorado, ect more than once every 3-4 trips these days. He was explaining a lot of rich people buy boats and crew them for commercial fishing just to supply restaurants and resorts. He said he has noticed a big increase in non locally owed commercial vessels in the last 5-10 years.

It's a nice place for a holiday but fishing isn't worth it-local fish stocks were devastated by small scale longliners to the point where even they stopped working- maybe some Jack Crevalle (locally called Toro) along the beaches.
Going down for a vacation to get some rest and relaxation in but looking to get out on the water while we are there. Might try some beach fishing too!

Anyone ever tow their own boat down to Baja and go DIY?

Been down in Todos Santos for a week and I'm thinking of realigning my lifestyle. Maybe do a couple months down here every year, drive down. Be great to have a boat.

We went to San Carlos in February. Booked 2.5 days to chase YT with Pedro of Catch22 (he has 2 different catamarans). He speaks fluent English and will be fishing right along side you. Forecast for 1st day was ugly, so he suggested bagging. I told him I’d rather pay 1/2 to not go out and get beat to crud. We did a 1/2 day next in ugly weather (my call). Day 3 was almost flat and we made the run to the island and had a blast vertical jigging YT and a few other species. Those things PULL. It’s not fancy Cabo or PV, but safe, good food, and dirt cheap. We had a great time.

Just returned from PV and did a full day trip offshore. Our foremost goal was to get something tasty to grill up. We basically mooched live bait for the first 4-5 hours with only one small Toro to the boat. After that the guide suggested we move inshore and we trolled squirts tied off large rapalas (the same we we use a flasher). It was pretty steady action of Spanish Mackerel and a few Bonito for a few hours before heading home. Overall we had hoped to get some Dorado or something larger but still had a great time.

The captain was brutally honest too in saying he is lucky to get “ Trophy fish “ like Dorado, ect more than once every 3-4 trips these days. He was explaining a lot of rich people buy boats and crew them for commercial fishing just to supply restaurants and resorts. He said he has noticed a big increase in non locally owed commercial vessels in the last 5-10 years.

Who did you fish with ? We were down in this same time frame and fished two weeks straight. The dorado were more a nuisance to us most days eating our kite baits and killing our larger bonito intended for yellowfin tuna and marlin. Unfortunately we were boarded by the Mexican navy our second day at the tres Maria’s and told not to return or our boat would be seized . We focused our efforts between corbetena and el banco and we were very successful , with most days the box looking like this . Highlights were a 125 lb yellowfin , 400 lb black marlin ( died mid fight so had to retain it ) , a smaller blue marlin , many sailfish and too many 30 - 60 lb yellowfin , and 20 - 50 lb dorado to count . Dawn and dusk bites were when it really happened for us every day.

Attachments

• 1DDF2999-F5E5-401E-AE25-5727B18BA831.jpeg
    1DDF2999-F5E5-401E-AE25-5727B18BA831.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 8AB049CC-2007-4560-836A-11BD45DAA3B8.jpeg
    8AB049CC-2007-4560-836A-11BD45DAA3B8.jpeg
    191.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 2FCBE5CE-A90C-4886-83A0-2FCD5BA500C6.jpeg
    2FCBE5CE-A90C-4886-83A0-2FCD5BA500C6.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 128
  • 5E16A35E-3446-48AB-8D81-B731B56F452A.jpeg
    5E16A35E-3446-48AB-8D81-B731B56F452A.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 07F42A15-74C8-4C9A-B575-9E8033DEB065.jpeg
    07F42A15-74C8-4C9A-B575-9E8033DEB065.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 123
  • D5D288DD-DD9B-47A3-9512-2D8CFA8AC311.jpeg
    D5D288DD-DD9B-47A3-9512-2D8CFA8AC311.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 141
Who did you fish with ? We were down in this same time frame and fished two weeks straight. The dorado were more a nuisance to us most days eating our kite baits and killing our larger bonito intended for yellowfin tuna and marlin. Unfortunately we were boarded by the Mexican navy our second day at the tres Maria’s and told not to return or our boat would be seized . We focused our efforts between corbetena and el banco and we were very successful , with most days the box looking like this . Highlights were a 125 lb yellowfin , 400 lb black marlin ( died mid fight so had to retain it ) , a smaller blue marlin , many sailfish and too many 30 - 60 lb yellowfin , and 20 - 50 lb dorado to count . Dawn and dusk bites were when it really happened for us every day.

The two suggested outfits could not accommodate us on the days we wanted to go. Another fellow set it up so I don’t know the exact name of the outfit. The captains name was Fernando and he claimed to have 20+ years experience. I am not sure the exact area we fished but I know we headed North along towards Neuavo and then out almost dead west for 45 mins or so. The name of the boat was something like “good life” or “Good times” in Spanish. The boat and gear looked a little tired but overall they seemed like they where knowledgeable and could put us on the fish. If I was to go again I would try and do a few days just to give us more opportunity.

Last edited:
I can confirm that fishing off Cabo has been productive. Good numbers of yellow fin tuna 30 miles out, dorado and striped Marlin in close and huge numbers of mackerel and Marlin up at the Finger bank, 55 miles to the northwest

Anyone ever fish with Frank Bonise on Bandito out of Cabo?

My buddy is in LaPenita and Dorado fishing is good , he has his own boat and the only bad thing is I'm not thereScreenshot_20221130-160630_Messenger.jpg

I can confirm that fishing off Cabo has been productive. Good numbers of yellow fin tuna 30 miles out, dorado and striped Marlin in close and huge numbers of mackerel and Marlin up at the Finger bank, 55 miles to the northwest

Heading down late jan , have two days booked with La Chingona to fish finger . Hoping it holds out .

Anyone ever fish with Frank Bonise on Bandito out of Cabo?

Never heard of his outfit . You can’t go wrong with any of the piscies fleet . Bill collector 1 & bill collector 2 , BBII, Tejas , La Chingona , Listo are all boats I have fished multiple times and have yet to have a bad trip, experienced crews and very professional on the business side of things . What month are you looking at fishing ?

Heading down late jan , have two days booked with La Chingona to fish finger . Hoping it holds out .

Never heard of his outfit . You can’t go wrong with any of the piscies fleet . Bill collector 1 & bill collector 2 , BBII, Tejas , La Chingona , Listo are all boats I have fished multiple times and have yet to have a bad trip, experienced crews and very professional on the business side of things . What month are you looking at fishing ?
Nothing yet. We were thinking January. I don't know him personally but it's my brother's wife's uncle and he haa a few air bnbs he runs so we could get a deal on one of his big places

This is my buddies boat have never had a ****** trip out of Cabo

Heading down to Cabo in January and booked 3 full days fishing with Jobe Villavicencio. I've only fished once in Cabo previously.
I got some great referrals from others in BC who have fished with Jobe. The 38' Albemarle he is running now looks to be the perfect size and comfort level for what I was hoping to find as well. Jobe has suggested doing 1 day inshore for Dorado and Striped Marlin and 2 days offshore for yellowfin but Jobe is very open to what ever we'd like to do. I'd also be interested in Yellowtail and Wahoo if any around in Jan. I understand that the larger Black and Blue Marlin are not around in the winter months which is perfectly fine with me.

Questions for those seasoned Cabo fishers when using the services of a charter operation down there.

- I understand from my research that releasing Marlin is the preferred protocol in Cabo ( Striped Marlin included) unless they are injured badly during the fight. This being for conservation reasons but also that Marlin are generally poor eating including the more common Striped Marlin. Is this correct ?

- I know swordfish and sailfish are two other billfish that can be caught in Cabo and that these are good eating bill fish. Are these caught much in Cabo and are they generally considered a catch and release species as well?

- When tipping after a multi-day charter is it best practice to tip at the end of the 3 days or after each day? If there are 1-2 deckhands and a captain how should tip be distributed? Better to provide as one tip for the boat or give a split/share of the tip to each deckhand/captain individually?

Thanks and any advice appreciated

I have never heard of a sword fish being released in Mexico or most other places either, not a lot are caught in Cabo and they are great eating. Stripped Marlin are good to eat IMO (Sailfish are not good) especially the smaller ones. Most say they release billfish but then they are also very quick to say its badly hooked so we will keep it, usually before you even know what is going on. The only way to get most marlin released is for you to insist that they get released. If you are into the stripped marlin and lots are around I would not feel bad about keeping a smaller one if you are inclined to try one. The meat cooks up like chicken .............................. makes great tacos

I always ask the captain whats around and what is the best species to expect success (it is fishing though). They are usually very honest and they also want you to catch fish. This is usually the best way to have better fishing although it may not be your bucket list species . Don't expect success if the species is out of season

I usually tip at the end of every day. The crew will have a way to split up the tips (many crew only get a share of the tips and no wages). I would tip the captain with cash and not add tip to the trip bill at the office. Captains and crew for larger fleets/ companies may not see all of the tip.

I tipped at the end of each day, including the crappy first 1/2 day. The Capt was VERY appreciative. Some captains may tell you how awesome your billfish is and worth mounting. They often get kickbacks from the local taxidermists.

If you want to kill it, they’ll kill it and it will get eaten. Some folks will give you crap for it. So what!

Regarding other fish, bring some into one of the local restaurants and have it made 3-5 ways.

Don’t be afraid to travel 4-5 blocks into town for some really good, local flavor!

I try to get one night for dinner at Sunset de Mona Lisa. A bit more expensive, but worth it.

Some captains may tell you how awesome your billfish is and worth mounting. They often get kickbacks from the local taxidermists.
Oldest trick in the book-that and jacking up the freight bill once it's 'ready to go just one thing'....

I will be in Cabo arriving January 14th and departing January 25th. I would be interested in tagging along for a day if anyone is looking for an additional person to share some costs. Got a few things planned but relatively flexible with dates. Drop me a message if interested.

A captain I know had a mind bending day recently on striped Marlin at finger bank

Here was the final count for 4 experienced anglers

Attachments

• 4B91EC54-908D-4004-B793-1DAE379B3F3F.png
    4B91EC54-908D-4004-B793-1DAE379B3F3F.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
Back