Mexico Fishing Trips

thoughts on eating marlin?
it was just ok in ceviche. guides take it to sell to locals. cheap protein.
We ate a lot of it since we have kitchen suites, plus gave it to friends and staff at our hotel. That fish produced 28 pieces like these, more roasts than steaks. We had it as seared steaks like tuna, pan fried in butter and garlic, and lightly BBQd then topped with a mango avocado salsa.

IMG_0699.JPG

The hotel asst mgr told me a couple of days later that she'd had 25 friends and family the night before to share the piece of marlin we gave her, similar stories from some of the housekeepers. I think we helped feed half of Melaque with that fish.

When the fish was being portioned up at the dock, one of Gerry's fellow guides came and asked if he could glean the carcass, and proceeded to pick roughly 5-7 lb of usable meat off it. That would likely have been sold to a restaurant for ceviche.

Headed to Puerto Vallarta area Nov 16-25 any suggestions of what to check out or outfits that would take 3 guys for a 1/2 or full day trip ( depends on price and what the the others want to do )

I have never done a guided trip in Mexico but I assume the guide keeps all the fish and sells it ? What are the chances of keeping some for a meal or bringing some home frozen ?
We've mostly kept our fish, and either cook ourselves or arrange for local resto to prepare. Some species I'm not partial to (toro, Bonita, etc) but the guide will keep to sell or give to friends. If we get into Dorado, tuna, marlin we def keep.

Headed to Puerto Vallarta area Nov 16-25 any suggestions of what to check out or outfits that would take 3 guys for a 1/2 or full day trip ( depends on price and what the the others want to do )

I have never done a guided trip in Mexico but I assume the guide keeps all the fish and sells it ? What are the chances of keeping some for a meal or bringing some home frozen ?
It’s been a few years but, pre-Covid I made a number of trips to Puerto Vallarta - sometimes twice in a winter season, like Dec - Feb. My favourite place to fish out of was Punta Mita. North of Bucerias. I mostly fished with Capt. Lora - Fortuna Fishing. The only contact # I have for him is 01152(1) 3221333999. He always put us on fish. We always kept what we wanted. Best fish in my opinion are dorado and tuna. Roosters and toro are fun, but not good eating - but good fighters if there is nothing else around.
good luck Amigo

Last edited:

The fish is yours as opposed to Hawaii

Marlas and Dhamar set the standard down there . Never fish a half day, the extra few bones makes 100 times the difference on these offshore trips

Marlas and Dhamar set the standard down there . Never fish a half day, the extra few bones makes 100 times the difference on these offshore trips

Awesome thanks, another friend highly recommended Marlas. Me and one of the fellows I am headed to Vallarta with did a guided trip in Maui in 2013 and both found it underwhelming. I will try and make it a full day trip if we go.

Just got back from Cabo saw the Bisbee tournament. 219 boats. Some beautiful fish but fishing seemed slow as compared to previous years. We went out for a day. Booked through Lands End charters. It was an ok experience. Ended up with one striped Marlin. 105 lbs according to the guides. Seemed smaller to us.

When we booked with Lands end we were told we were going with an experienced captain. The guy we booked was supposed to have had 33 years experience and his mate 13 years. The day we showed up they replaced him with a much less experienced crew. We were supposed to get ten pieces of live bait. Ended up with two. And that day it seemed the live bait would have made a big difference in getting a second fish.

Having said that it was great to get the one. Bisbee is a lot of fun as a spectator. World’s richest fishing tournament.

Attachments

• 8310F673-5254-43EA-933B-B56A3F247468.jpeg
    8310F673-5254-43EA-933B-B56A3F247468.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 9E8BB34D-8101-45C4-B33F-9E13D4928F9F.jpeg
    9E8BB34D-8101-45C4-B33F-9E13D4928F9F.jpeg
    410.2 KB · Views: 119
  • C39BCCFB-A7AD-4014-85B6-7F547BD207AC.jpeg
    C39BCCFB-A7AD-4014-85B6-7F547BD207AC.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 121
Bc coast pilot who did you fish with in Huatulco. I fished there once and only go some small mahi-mahi. Would love to get a sailfish or marlin. Thanks

Bc coast pilot who did you fish with in Huatulco. I fished there once and only go some small mahi-mahi. Would love to get a sailfish or marlin. Thanks
Virgo fishing Huatulco (facebook page)
Juan Manuel Cruz Velazco, solid dude.
To be clear...the boat is rough and you accept the risk as presented, in no way do I endorse the vessel. He seems to spend the money on his gear, we actually got our first sailfish on a little Avet that was more like a bait reel.....solid new line was the reason for success, fun stuff! Have it on video.
But this dude can fish, they run dead bait and rig a weight on the face under the chin, when the sailfish come in they go nuts.
He has a facebook page also, with lotsa pics.
PM me and I have whatsapp contact info if you so choose.
I got a tip from a friend who has gone with him 4 or 5 times, also a seasoned fisherman said he's always put him on fish, so we rolled the dice......

Last edited:
Anyone get a chance to do any fishing out of Melaque (preferably) or Manzanillo? Going to head south at the end of January for a few weeks.
It's a nice place for a holiday but fishing isn't worth it-local fish stocks were devastated by small scale longliners to the point where even they stopped working- maybe some Jack Crevalle (locally called Toro) along the beaches.

It's a nice place for a holiday but fishing isn't worth it-local fish stocks were devastated by small scale longliners to the point where even they stopped working- maybe some Jack Crevalle (locally called Toro) along the beaches.
Interesting that you say that. When we in Huatulco the long lines were excessive.

Interesting that you say that. When we in Huatulco the long lines were excessive.
Lots of people with lots of money in Mexico and an easy way to make more was to buy a couple dozen pangas outfit them with longlines each 25 miles long with baited hooks every 10 feet and hire some poor slobs to run the gear-licence costs are minimal and fresh fish sells like hotcakes-$$$$$$$$$$$.

Now stocks have taken a shitkicking - Dorado simple disappeared for a few years - and everyone pretends to not know why.

Lots of people with lots of money in Mexico and an easy way to make more was to buy a couple dozen pangas outfit them with longlines each 25 miles long with baited hooks every 10 feet and hire some poor slobs to run the gear-licence costs are minimal and fresh fish sells like hotcakes-$$$$$$$$$$$.

Now stocks have taken a shitkicking - Dorado simple disappeared for a few years - and everyone pretends to not know why.

10/12 years ago Dorado fishing was quit good. It’s been at least 6 years since I last fished in Mexico. My favourite was Dorado, great fighters, colourful and wonderful to eat. I was told then that longliners were taking way to many fish. And now it’s a mess. Toro are fun to catch as are Roosters, but not good to eat - as far as I know.
Stosh

Ixtapa and PV are also bad. Some out of Cabo as well but at least there the sport fish captains keep them at distance.

Back