Mexico Fishing Trips

Heading down to Cabo in January and booked 3 full days fishing with Jobe Villavicencio. I've only fished once in Cabo previously.
I got some great referrals from others in BC who have fished with Jobe. The 38' Albemarle he is running now looks to be the perfect size and comfort level for what I was hoping to find as well. Jobe has suggested doing 1 day inshore for Dorado and Striped Marlin and 2 days offshore for yellowfin but Jobe is very open to what ever we'd like to do. I'd also be interested in Yellowtail and Wahoo if any around in Jan. I understand that the larger Black and Blue Marlin are not around in the winter months which is perfectly fine with me.

Questions for those seasoned Cabo fishers when using the services of a charter operation down there.

- I understand from my research that releasing Marlin is the preferred protocol in Cabo ( Striped Marlin included) unless they are injured badly during the fight. This being for conservation reasons but also that Marlin are generally poor eating including the more common Striped Marlin. Is this correct ?

- I know swordfish and sailfish are two other billfish that can be caught in Cabo and that these are good eating bill fish. Are these caught much in Cabo and are they generally considered a catch and release species as well?

- When tipping after a multi-day charter is it best practice to tip at the end of the 3 days or after each day? If there are 1-2 deckhands and a captain how should tip be distributed? Better to provide as one tip for the boat or give a split/share of the tip to each deckhand/captain individually?

Thanks and any advice appreciated
Please release all Marlin and sailfish if at all possible. They are tough like sturgeon with great survival rates.

Swordfish are rare in that area and are usually kept due to their amazing table fare

Sometimes the deckhands are the same every day so I usually tip daily

Please release all Marlin and sailfish if at all possible. They are tough like sturgeon with great survival rates.

Swordfish are rare in that area and are usually kept due to their amazing table fare

Sometimes the deckhands are the same every day so I usually tip daily
years back I had to tell them if you kill a sailfish, no tip to get them to stop.

Anyone ever tow their own boat down to Baja and go DIY?

Been down in Todos Santos for a week and I'm thinking of realigning my lifestyle. Maybe do a couple months down here every year, drive down. Be great to have a boat.
How long are you going to be down in TS? I'm headed down on the 13th, have spent many winters (16) just off the beach in Pescadero just south of TS. I have a local pangaro from Pescadero that I have fished with for years, amazing fisherman, lives and breaths it. We beach launch from Cerritos, I have all my own light tackle gear down there for Dorado, roosters and yellowfin if we get lucky. Shoot me an email at info@bearcovecottages.ca if you will be in the area.

Cheers

Wade

who do you fish with in Cabo?
Depends on the crew and type of fishing. I really like fishing with Tony @ Gordo banks in San Jose in his 26 super panga but there’s hasn’t been any live sardines here since I got here.

Abigail Sportfishing are real good too

The guy in Cabo I fished exclusively retired a few years just like I did.

Had great trips out of Cabo with several of the established companies. Pisces, Red Rum and Go Deep are all first class operations

Went out last week with a new boat, a recommendation thru a friend in Cabo. It was a 31 Blackfin with twin fighting chairs. Good English and great Captain. Ended up with 5 nice sized tuna in my freezer like the other 3 angling partners

Message me if you want his number

I'm in Cabo now and was out yesterday. In about 2 hours we released 6 Marlin and then looked for dorado which we didn't get. Fishing is great here right now and I'm here for the next 7 weeks and will fish about 30 more days. There's a few exceptional captains here to fish with, quite a few good ones and a bunch you probably don't want to go with. It's all about your budget, boat size and how far you want to travel. You can fish for $200.00 or you can fish for $2000.00 or more a day. I do go out and do the 200 and the 2000 and they are great with the right captain, but they are too totally different experiences. IF you need more info ask here or shoot me an email rockypointcharters.ca or facebook message and I'll try and help out. Shawn/Wade, if you guys if you guys want to hook up for a days fishing let me know. I haven't done the beach launch for a few years.

I'm in Cabo now and was out yesterday. In about 2 hours we released 6 Marlin and then looked for dorado which we didn't get. Fishing is great here right now and I'm here for the next 7 weeks and will fish about 30 more days. There's a few exceptional captains here to fish with, quite a few good ones and a bunch you probably don't want to go with. It's all about your budget, boat size and how far you want to travel. You can fish for $200.00 or you can fish for $2000.00 or more a day. I do go out and do the 200 and the 2000 and they are great with the right captain, but they are too totally different experiences. IF you need more info ask here or shoot me an email rockypointcharters.ca or facebook message and I'll try and help out. Shawn/Wade, if you guys if you guys want to hook up for a days fishing let me know. I haven't done the beach launch for a few years.
Bod,

I arrive on the 13th, first priority will be tracking Enrique and setting up some days on the water. I have fished with him for over 10 years, always gets me on some fish. What I love about him is he won't take me for a boat ride, if there are no fish, water is to cold or conditions aren't right he tells me. Hopefully it will work out as he launches 100 meters from the condo, if not I'll be looking to fish from Cabo.

Last and only time Shaun and I fished together down there with Go Deep we hooked a Sword Fish on live bait on light tackle, took close to 5 hours from what I remember. Old man in the sea type story.

Anyways, hope to hook up either way to fish or have a cold one.

Cheers

Reactions: Bod
Bod,

I arrive on the 13th, first priority will be tracking Enrique and setting up some days on the water. I have fished with him for over 10 years, always gets me on some fish. What I love about him is he won't take me for a boat ride, if there are no fish, water is to cold or conditions aren't right he tells me. Hopefully it will work out as he launches 100 meters from the condo, if not I'll be looking to fish from Cabo.

Last and only time Shaun and I fished together down there with Go Deep we hooked a Sword Fish on live bait on light tackle, took close to 5 hours from what I remember. Old man in the sea type story.

Anyways, hope to hook up either way to fish or have a cold one.

Cheers
Wade, that swordfish was one battle I’ll never forget

I'm looking to be in Cabo area november-january ish best year. Will be doing a bit of fishing, spearfishing.

If anyone has any leads ornideas on 2-3 month accomodation outside the major cities it would be appreciated. Settled.on Cabo so I can fly back and forth for work without to much drama. Will also be driving down.

look into Los Todos..

as far as fishing goes, el diablo (jobe captain) 38' albermerle. we did 23 marlin in 4 hours!!
or el jeffe (Fellipe) for a great panga fisherman- 5 different species in one day.
if you need contacts, dm me.

look into Los Todos..

as far as fishing goes, el diablo (jobe captain) 38' albermerle. we did 23 marlin in 4 hours!!
or el jeffe (Fellipe) for a great panga fisherman- 5 different species in one day.
if you need contacts, dm me.
we fished with el jeffe at Tag Cabo and had a blast catching Rooster fish, Cubera Snapper and a variety of other species

Heading down to los Cabo’s for two weeks friday , have booked our regular boats but I have booked a day with gordo banks pangas as we have never fished the gordo and want to get into some yellowfin/pargo/grouper , and it looks like the main bite off cabo right now is striped marlin and dorado. Booked a 26 super panga . Anyone have any experience with this charter ?

Heading down to los Cabo’s for two weeks friday , have booked our regular boats but I have booked a day with gordo banks pangas as we have never fished the gordo and want to get into some yellowfin/pargo/grouper , and it looks like the main bite off cabo right now is striped marlin and dorado. Booked a 26 super panga . Anyone have any experience with this charter ?
I’ve fished with Gordo Banks many times as that’s my home port in the winter.
The owner, Eric is a real straight shooter. He has some very good captains working for him with Tony and Chamie are my favorites. The big trouble is the lack of live sardines lately.

We have had quite a bit of cool nw winds lately and you may want to bring appropriate clothing

Good luck!

I’ve fished with Gordo Banks many times as that’s my home port in the winter.
The owner, Eric is a real straight shooter. He has some very good captains working for him with Tony and Chamie are my favorites. The big trouble is the lack of live sardines lately.

We have had quite a bit of cool nw winds lately and you may want to bring appropriate clothing

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply . Looks like we will be fishing finger bank a few days for stripeys on two different Vikings , the BBII and La Chingona , then fishing with gordo banks for a morning for some fun. Recent report looks like a few quality yft at San jamie , and the inshore pargo and amberjack fishing starting to heat up. Should be fun

Anyone know if you can rent boats in Mexico? Not a charter, no crew or captain… just rent a boat and head out on my own. Headed down to PV in a week. Would love to rent a boat for a day or two to explore, fish… is this a thing? Or am I just going to be a floating target for cheeky federales? Sunburnt gringo alone in a panga seems like a scenario for boarding by armed Mexican navy, no? Anyone have insight/experience with this? Licence required?

Thanks!

Anyone know if you can rent boats in Mexico? Not a charter, no crew or captain… just rent a boat and head out on my own. Headed down to PV in a week. Would love to rent a boat for a day or two to explore, fish… is this a thing? Or am I just going to be a floating target for cheeky federales? Sunburnt gringo alone in a panga seems like a scenario for boarding by armed Mexican navy, no? Anyone have insight/experience with this? Licence required?

Thanks!
Not a chance in **ll. Their Federal and State governments are very protective of jobs

Has anyone on had any experience with fishing out of the Huatulco? I'd appreciate any tips/info on quality successful guides/boats/vessels and accommodation. We have done Cabo so looking for a an experience that has just as good fishing and weather but in a different area of Mexico. Huatulco has been chosen by others in our group for various reasons but I'm tasked to find out about the fishing and some accommodation choices close to the fishing. I suspect staying somewhere on or near the marina and we'd be wanting to hire guide/boats for both some inshore casting/jigging (pangas) and hopefully some Dorado, Jack Crevalle, Roosters, Yellow tail and Stripped Marlin as well as do some offshore in a larger vessel ....hopefully some yellowfin there. I understand plenty of dorado there but not sure about all the others I mention. Time of year has not been chosen yet but likely Late January to April for 10-12 days. Thanks for any info you have !

Back