I Believe In Pod

To red stripe, or not to red stripe?

• Leave it!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Take it off as fast as possible

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
Full compliments, the finish / overall build quality looks great - is it brushed or sanded directionaly?

I see that the fiberglass transom doesn't have a drain, same with the pod. Sometimes you see guys step the hull or have a small indent in the pod where it meets the hull to account for the hull drain; then separate drain plug for the pod. Not intended as a criticism - just an observation.

I have a similar telescopic ladder on my swim grid, and one thing the builder added was a rubber strap so it couldn't rattle loose.

Full compliments, the finish / overall build quality looks great - is it brushed or sanded directionaly?

I see that the fiberglass transom doesn't have a drain, same with the pod. Sometimes you see guys step the hull or have a small indent in the pod where it meets the hull to account for the hull drain; then separate drain plug for the pod. Not intended as a criticism - just an observation.

I have a similar telescopic ladder on my swim grid, and one thing the builder added was a rubber strap so it couldn't rattle loose.
We discussed plug options, and decided that because the boat is moored that there wasn’t really much point in having a drain plug.

Looks great. The welding is superb. I just designed my bracket and had it welded up for my conversion. I ended up fitting a drain tube that runs from the boat through the bracket and out. Then there's a 2nd drain plug just for the bracket. A lot of fiddling around to get it 100% sealed up. Hopefully no issues down the road. Not sure I would do it that way again.

Last edited:
We discussed plug options, and decided that because the boat is moored that there wasn’t really much point in having a drain plug.
A totally fair call, getting a hull plug to work through/around/under a pod often seems to lead to a bunch of compromises that you are never really 100% happy with.

A totally fair call, getting a hull plug to work through/around/under a pod often seems to lead to a bunch of compromises that you are never really 100% happy with.
For sure. Appreciate the comments and compliments.

I have accommodated drain plugs, and added them in the pod itself. The conclusion I always come back to is it’s not worth it. well built and sealed pod doesn’t leak, if it does have some water get in shop vac it out and find where it leaking and get that fixed. The drain plug is just a corrosion/leak point waiting to happen.

Example of what can be done on the boat side, it works and doesn’t really compromise much just need a ratchet to take the plug out once installed instead of a wrench. As max said his boat lives in the water or under a tarp.. so vac the bilge out before winter storage clean it up and you’re good to go.
IMG_4985.jpeg

Back