I Believe In Pod

To red stripe, or not to red stripe?

• Leave it!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Take it off as fast as possible

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters
It happened!! Sea trial was amazing, ripped it across the straight! Cruised at 26 knots, 4000 rpm, right around 3.7 gph. So happy with it, jumps up on plane and handles amazing. Can really feel the stretched hull and how nicely it rides.

The joy it brings me to have her back in her element is indescribable.

View attachment 108815
View attachment 108816

Before anyone mentions anything, yes yes yes, the stripe is still coming off. Give me a minute.

Ride looks perfect. Good job on the pod @Brando.

Could trim it out tons more if I wanted, got distracted by the video being taken and wasn’t super focused lol. I’m happy with the way it rode.

I guess you’re happy with it with those numbers; 8 mpg with a 300 hp on a 24’ boat is incredible!

Just some more mileage updates after trying it out in some rougher seas today.

80% fuel, 3400 rpm doing 22 knots, down to 26 *edit* Lph (little less actually).

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all this. I am having that itch to do another pod project coming up. Something bigger this time 22ft or so.
Of course! Thanks for all the input. I enjoyed posting and keeping track of what’s happening if I want to look back on it later. Excited to see what you do next!

Happy to see you out enjoying the boat that’s what it’s all about! Looks like your economy numbers are good and she rides nicely. Tight lines. Have fun!

Happy to see you out enjoying the boat that’s what it’s all about! Looks like your economy numbers are good and she rides nicely. Tight lines. Have fun!
Thanks for the helping hand and for building a great product!!

I'm coming in late to this thread,is the pod that "Brando" built a hull extension pod? Flush w/hull bottom or tapered? Hard to tell from your pictures.One picture makes it look like it follows hull shape ,but up an inch or two?

Here's a picture showing how the hull extension follows the shape of the hull all the way back to the engines. Main advantage is there is no loss of laminar flow of water so the engines are fully supported by smooth flowing water that continues along the hull. Pods that step up from the transom create a void behind the area where the pod is attached and steps up from the bottom of the hull creating unstable water flow leading to a porpoising effect. I've had a pod constructed/installed on my previous boat and it was unstable with a porpoising effect created by the step up design of the pod. On my current Grady, we completed a hull extension which allowed me to close in the transom area where Grady had a drop down transom gate to allow the engines to be tilted up. Now that is fully closed in creating great storage and a tackle station at the rear. The boat actually performs way better with a hull extension as it seems to provide additional lift to the stern which really improved the ride and handling in rough seas. Not to mention the boat was 3 mph faster at similar engine RPM's. Hope this helps in your deliberations. Based on my experience with both types (Pod vs Extension), I would highly recommend an Extension.

IMG_0431.jpeg

Here's a picture showing how the hull extension follows the shape of the hull all the way back to the engines. Main advantage is there is no loss of laminar flow of water so the engines are fully supported by smooth flowing water that continues along the hull. Pods that step up from the transom create a void behind the area where the pod is attached and steps up from the bottom of the hull creating unstable water flow leading to a porpoising effect. I've had a pod constructed/installed on my previous boat and it was unstable with a porpoising effect created by the step up design of the pod. On my current Grady, we completed a hull extension which allowed me to close in the transom area where Grady had a drop down transom gate to allow the engines to be tilted up. Now that is fully closed in creating great storage and a tackle station at the rear. The boat actually performs way better with a hull extension as it seems to provide additional lift to the stern which really improved the ride and handling in rough seas. Not to mention the boat was 3 mph faster at similar engine RPM's. Hope this helps in your deliberations. Based on my experience with both types (Pod vs Extension), I would highly recommend an Extension.
TOTALLY agree what serun just said , I was also advised to stay away from a step up ... and I agree with better perfor mance as well. buddy built mine so my engine comes complety out of water so no corrosion can happen1726100497385.png

Back