How do you guys make fishing buddies?

Not to derail but my wife accompanies me to Port Hardy and Nootka but only wants to fix locally if our family and grandson is on board, most of the time she is on her horse. We are not too serious and often tell each other it’s their turn to grab the rod that is bouncing. About 6 or 7 years ago in Nootka we needed one more spring to limit out, she was in a hurry to get home on our last day and told me I had until noon to get the last fish. We were in front of camel rock and both rods popped. My rod had a smaller fish so I released it, I said to her just play it out no rush. She says no way I’m muscling this fish into the boat, I lean over to net the fish, the hook comes out and right into my forehead. She was laughing so hard, I’m bleeding, I said well at least cut the line so the flasher isn’t making it bleed more, too funny.

Not to derail but my wife accompanies me to Port Hardy and Nootka but only wants to fix locally if our family and grandson is on board, most of the time she is on her horse. We are not too serious and often tell each other it’s their turn to grab the rod that is bouncing. About 6 or 7 years ago in Nootka we needed one more spring to limit out, she was in a hurry to get home on our last day and told me I had until noon to get the last fish. We were in front of camel rock and both rods popped. My rod had a smaller fish so I released it, I said to her just play it out no rush. She says no way I’m muscling this fish into the boat, I lean over to net the fish, the hook comes out and right into my forehead. She was laughing so hard, I’m bleeding, I said well at least cut the line so the flasher isn’t making it bleed more, too funny.

Haha reminds me of the time I put the filet knife through my thigh off silva bay...asked for the first aid kit 3 times and she handed me the flare gun 3x...fenifh of the comedy show, flat calm so booted back to sechelt, hopped in my car with a cloth and knife fully inserted still, off to st Mary's solo...good thing she's hot!

I’m new here, located in Vancouver. I have a 18’ reliable boat and want to start mooching for saltwater salmon. Have very little knowledge on where to start, and I’m hoping to find someone who can show me the ropes, maybe someone who knows how to mooch but doesn’t have a boat so it’s a win-win. Let me know if you’re interested or know someone who is.

I’m new here, located in Vancouver. I have a 18’ reliable boat and want to start mooching for saltwater salmon. Have very little knowledge on where to start, and I’m hoping to find someone who can show me the ropes, maybe someone who knows how to mooch but doesn’t have a boat so it’s a win-win. Let me know if you’re interested or know someone who is.
Not much mooching locally to Vancouver no live bait to be had.

Start by following this Vancouver area fishing thread:

I couldn't wait for my son to hit "fishing" age...started around 4-5......he loved (still does!) fish with a bobber....

He got the bug bad.....we fished every day possible, always had gear in the truck no matter where we were going.... Being close to the Fraser, we were lucky to have so many options!

From bottom fish to sturgeon, he was there and ready!

He has been my hunting and fishing buddy for his pushing 30 years......

He has now given me two grandsons and they love fishing.....watching them fish, still very young, 3 and 5.....makes me feel proud

I have two life long buddies that come with us when time permits....

Wouldn't change a thing until my kids moved to Quesnel....dont get to see them too often, but lots of face time and calls makes it a bit better!

Hi All
I’m in the same situation, looking for fishing buddies in the Comox area. I’m retired and travel between my home and Comox (my second home). I am all about the fun but do like to keep fish for the table. I have a nice boat and all necessary gear (including prawn and crab traps. I’m kind of done taking anything too seriously, and would be just as happy with a day of laughs and tales as a full fish box. My wife (God bless her) is a trooper and likes to get on the boat occasionally but not as often as I would like. While I have been on many charters and learned quite a bit, I am in no way close to guide status. I typically launch at Comox Marina. I’m familiar with a few spots to fish but always interested in trying new spots.

The hardest part is finding buddies who are available and willing to go consistently enough to get good at it and be helpful. Tons of my regular friends want to go. They don't know anything about fishing or running the boat so I end up doing everything, they just hold the rod and reel in the fish. Do it with 4 or 5 different people who want to come out just once or twice a year, they never get good enough that you can just relax and fish, and it gets old pretty fast.

The hardest part is finding buddies who are available and willing to go consistently enough to get good at it and be helpful. Tons of my regular friends want to go. They don't know anything about fishing or running the boat so I end up doing everything, they just hold the rod and reel in the fish. Do it with 4 or 5 different people who want to come out just once or twice a year, they never get good enough that you can just relax and fish, and it gets old pretty fast.
yeah....completely agree. a fishing buddy ideally would

have their own tackle
be able to run their own tackle
clean their own fish
at least offer to cover half the gas
show up at the launch site...not need to be picked up
be able to make his/her own decisions on scheduling

Considering what i just wrote, I have no good fishing buddies! 🤨 4 out of 6 ain't bad...

I have a few fishing buddies, some better than others. The best is a better fisherman than I (which really ain’t saying much), but lives on the mainland so we only get together 3-4 times a year. Another lives down the street, but likes to fish out of his boat mainly, so we often end trading real time reports and fishing side by side, each in our own boats. Another who likes to fish, schedule sucks, is fun to be around, never offers gas money but provides a tow rig (which I don’t have), so it’s a fair trade off. My wife and daughter love being on the boat, tolerate fishing, but can’t stand the killing and blood, so I don’t push it with them. Still, between all that, I end up fishing mostly solo, which I enjoy.

That being said, I’d like to meet more folks to fish with, especially ones that are up for WCVI trips, as that’s where I’d like to learn to fish more. I’m on gabriola, so logistics are a bit of a pain in the arse, but if anyone around Nanaimo area (or you find yourself on gabriola) wants to try and get out feel free to PM.

Cheers,
John

I had 4 guys I fished with for 30 years. We laughed, drank beer, caught some fish and all carried their load. We became such a team that when we got to the house we rented in Port Renfrew, truck was unloaded, house was set up, bait was brined, dinner was being prepared and each did what he was best at and we did not have to offer instructions. We split the expenses equally including gear lost. We split the fish equally when we got home. Three are dead now, 1 left. You do not know how good you had it until it is gone. They were really good, solid fishing buddies!

That’s called guiding. I used to get paid to do that

I have a few fishing buddies, some better than others. The best is a better fisherman than I (which really ain’t saying much), but lives on the mainland so we only get together 3-4 times a year. Another lives down the street, but likes to fish out of his boat mainly, so we often end trading real time reports and fishing side by side, each in our own boats. Another who likes to fish, schedule sucks, is fun to be around, never offers gas money but provides a tow rig (which I don’t have), so it’s a fair trade off. My wife and daughter love being on the boat, tolerate fishing, but can’t stand the killing and blood, so I don’t push it with them. Still, between all that, I end up fishing mostly solo, which I enjoy.

That being said, I’d like to meet more folks to fish with, especially ones that are up for WCVI trips, as that’s where I’d like to learn to fish more. I’m on gabriola, so logistics are a bit of a pain in the arse, but if anyone around Nanaimo area (or you find yourself on gabriola) wants to try and get out feel free to PM.

Cheers,
John
That explains why you're always reporting from Grande and Whalebone and the like in the Nanaimo reports thread. I wanna get out there and fish though, happy in my own boat or someone else's. Furthest I have gone from Breckin launch so far is Entrance.

Yeah, and noody wants to put in the time. "Sure, I'll go fishing with you... how's 2:45pm to 3:30pm on Thursday?"

"Oh you fish the tides and first light, around your day job, and don't like to go out for less than 4 hours at a time? Can't make it."

yeah....completely agree. a fishing buddy ideally would

have their own tackle
be able to run their own tackle
clean their own fish
at least offer to cover half the gas
show up at the launch site...not need to be picked up
be able to make his/her own decisions on scheduling

Considering what i just wrote, I have no good fishing buddies! 🤨 4 out of 6 ain't bad...
Ok, I scored 6 for 6, but you forgot,

Able to help drive the boat and other related duties.
Boat out of the water and rinsed.
Gear stowed away and secured.
A high five, because we were fishing and that's kind of our thing.

I had 4 guys I fished with for 30 years. We laughed, drank beer, caught some fish and all carried their load. We became such a team that when we got to the house we rented in Port Renfrew, truck was unloaded, house was set up, bait was brined, dinner was being prepared and each did what he was best at and we did not have to offer instructions. We split the expenses equally including gear lost. We split the fish equally when we got home. Three are dead now, 1 left. You do not know how good you had it until it is gone. They were really good, solid fishing buddies!
The bar was little more than a shack. Little 2 bedroom house at the end of the spit? Smoked a little MJ, laughed for hours. Went out, got caught in a storm, visited the US by accident, just about swamped the boat, no waves just a washing machine, bailed out everything, even cannon balls, would have been up the creek but it was a Boston Whaler, made it back and it was dead calm. Couple guys gave to the salmon gods. 😃What a blast, even caught a spring at the same time with all the lightening going around. Hit land kissed the ground, smoked more MJ, drank a little "boat gas" (a concoction of alcohols made in a cooler) and giggled like little girls. "see this nose? be on it";)

Was lucky this weekend. Two guys I took on my Bamfield trip were awesome :) . Known them for years, and both have boats/gear. Never had to think about anything, and made our trip low stress. I met both at charity fundraiser/derby we used to do together. Everything was so easy going.

Good fishing partners are out there you just have to find them.

I think I was reminded that again people that don't have boats are really hard to fish with. They don't get the time and effort it is to run your own rig, and sometimes can't appreciate it. For all of us that own boats it isn't about filling freezers as we have access to our boats year round. It is about spending time on water with friends, and family.

Last edited:
Back