How do you guys make fishing buddies?

I guess more to the question of the thread
Usually you grow up with them or a dad
Friend you met at the creek in summer holidays as a youth
As for now a days I have no idea except for this forum and having similar interests
Fishermen are like prospectors don’t like sharing and would rather find the jackpot all on our own!

I guess more to the question of the thread
Usually you grow up with them or a dad
Friend you met at the creek in summer holidays as a youth
As for now a days I have no idea except for this forum and having similar interests
Fishermen are like prospectors don’t like sharing and would rather find the jackpot all on our own!
Nobody I knew growing up fished. I made all my fishing buddies on here and then learned to fish that way. Then I turned one of my good old buddies into a worthy deck hand.

Netting a fish is a real make or break scenario for any friendship. I've probably lost more friends while fishing than gained, to be honest.
I have a story about my first season of really focusing on saltwater fishing (which was only 2022), a trip to Nootka, the pressure to produce in a rental boat with a hard rule to be back at dock by 7pm each night, resulting in 14 hour days, crack of dawn wake ups with little sleep, and end result a long standing friendship back to high school that is lets say on "hiatus" to this day.

Went back the next year with family instead, overheard some other buddies (strangers) across the road from us in the campsite having almost the exact same argument. Long days cramped in a small boat, hot sun, a few beers... damage can be done for sure.

But I like to think I'd never get too bent out of shape over an honest mistake. To me, as long as everyone is putting in their best effort we're good. As I said, I'm only 2 years in to this game, learning as fast as I can, but I'm sure I would make plenty of rookie mistakes on any of your guys boats still. Not from lack of effort but lack of experience. So when I have less experienced folks then me on the boat, I like to think I'm a pretty patient guy. As long as that attempt to net the fish (or drop the downrigger, or set the hook or whatever) was an honest best attempt, if we lose it we lose it. That's fishing. But if the attitude is all "yeah whatever man", not paying attention, we will probably have problems.

I am going to try sockeye out of China Creek this weekend. First time ever trying for soxs for me, and my deck hand will be my 16 year old nephew. The same one that was literally asleep last year in Nootka when a nice chinook hit (which we lost). He was one of many taking shifts with me last year. This weekend it is just me and him, me trying to learn the whole multi dummy flasher, stacked rods madness and relying on him to be as helpful as he can. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

And if anyone else will be out there this weekend and wants to give some lessons, we probably could both use them.

I'll go with you, I talk too much and am really anal when it comes to touching tackle with sun screen fingers, some say I don't know when to call it quits. I probably have annoying habits I don't even realize. I can be a total baby when I don't catch, dm me.

Last edited:
I'll go with you, I talk too much and am really anal when it comes to touching tackle with sun screen fingers, some say I don't know when to call it quits. I probably have annoying habits I don't even realize. I can be a total baby when I don't catch, dm me.
thought i was the only one that anal. i actually have latex gloves just to apply sunscreen. . the devils in the details. if you can find a partners that will put up with your insanity ( i have a few thank god) i say hang on to them

I have a story about my first season of really focusing on saltwater fishing (which was only 2022), a trip to Nootka, the pressure to produce in a rental boat with a hard rule to be back at dock by 7pm each night, resulting in 14 hour days, crack of dawn wake ups with little sleep, and end result a long standing friendship back to high school that is lets say on "hiatus" to this day.

Went back the next year with family instead, overheard some other buddies (strangers) across the road from us in the campsite having almost the exact same argument. Long days cramped in a small boat, hot sun, a few beers... damage can be done for sure.

But I like to think I'd never get too bent out of shape over an honest mistake. To me, as long as everyone is putting in their best effort we're good. As I said, I'm only 2 years in to this game, learning as fast as I can, but I'm sure I would make plenty of rookie mistakes on any of your guys boats still. Not from lack of effort but lack of experience. So when I have less experienced folks then me on the boat, I like to think I'm a pretty patient guy. As long as that attempt to net the fish (or drop the downrigger, or set the hook or whatever) was an honest best attempt, if we lose it we lose it. That's fishing. But if the attitude is all "yeah whatever man", not paying attention, we will probably have problems.

I am going to try sockeye out of China Creek this weekend. First time ever trying for soxs for me, and my deck hand will be my 16 year old nephew. The same one that was literally asleep last year in Nootka when a nice chinook hit (which we lost). He was one of many taking shifts with me last year. This weekend it is just me and him, me trying to learn the whole multi dummy flasher, stacked rods madness and relying on him to be as helpful as he can. Looking forward to seeing how it goes!

And if anyone else will be out there this weekend and wants to give some lessons, we probably could both use them.
You might not want to stack rods, just one per side works. Try 2 dummies then your rod. You won't have any messes with triple headers that way. Watch for the schools on your sounder, then adjust your depth.

You might not want to stack rods, just one per side works. Try 2 dummies then your rod. You won't have any messes with triple headers that way. Watch for the schools on your sounder, then adjust your depth.
I agree. If you are not used to fishing 4 rods then give it a go with two. Less of a gong show for sure.

I have a lot in common with folks on this thread; I retired and moved to Chemainus and away from my old hunting/fishing buddies, my regular fishing buddy is my wife and she likes being on the boat and catching our own fresh seafood but she doesn’t want to do the long hauls or go out as often as I’d like. My boat is safe and comfortable and dialled in for fishing and I just don’t get out as much as I’d like to generally because I don’t have someone to go with me. If I had a rear helm I’d probably do the solo thing but I’m more set up for someone at the helm for the most part with short periods away to net fish or drop gear.

I am anal about some things (like sunscreen which goes on off the boat and hands washed before boarding😁) but I like to think I’m patient enough to teach newbies. The only requirements are to be enthusiastic, willing to learn and respectful of the boat and equipment. I have been taking my nephew out periodically with his girlfriend and in spite of some mistakes they are quick studies and both have a great attitude.

My son is my best first mate because he knows the boat and gear but he can only get over to the Island a few times a year and we do a BYOB to Mills Landing one of those trips.

I have never stacked, ever... so this is probably good advice. I do want to learn though, which means I have to bite the bullet at some point, so why not now? Read all the threads here and elsewhere more than once so I understand the theory I think, but I'm also aware theory is not always a substitute for experience. I think my game plan is to run a cone zone just above the ball, and one to two dummies above that. If fishing is fast, I won't bother with the stacking. If it's slow, I might give it a try on the Port side only. Keep it simpler on the starboard side where my kicker is. I have run 3 rods multiple times, just the 3rd was out the back in the prop wash, not on a rigger. And have run dummies too. Baby steps.

I fish whenever I can. My skin doctor says I must use sunscreen, had a few cancers cut out of me, non malignant type. I catch fish, quite a few actually. This is the first time I have ever read of a correlation between sunscreen and lack of catching. I wonder how many I am missing by using sunscreen on the boat. :)

Back