How do you guys make fishing buddies?

I’ll actually go fishing with anyone. Outside of my family I have about a half dozen guys I consider fishing buddies I’d have never met if I didn’t take some up on their offer or vice versa.

That being said, my most productive days seem to be the ones I fish alone.

I dodged a buddy for my solo trip this week. He likes the ocean, was a kayak guide, but not a fisher. I drive in the middle of the night, don't eat well sometimes, fish hard for multi species, clean up, prep, repeat. I change the pattern with family, but look forward to the solo trips.
4 rods in PA Friday morning then on to Ukee for 5 nights. No nature walks, beaches, fancy meals, just fishing.

Most of my buddies mostly aren't fishermen, at least not in any serious sense. I may be able to get them out once a year on a fair weather day but to them its mostly a boat ride. Like someone else mentioned, my wife doesnt want to spend all her time fishing. She is game and will put up with more fishing time than a lot will, and she likes to fill the freezer... but she has her limits as well. Plus we have two dogs at home that she mostly manages while I dissappear all day. I don't mind fishing alone, do it often and like that I'm not usually on a schedule. But having one other competent person on board who I get along with is about perfect for me. Somone to run riggers and gear, someone to drive the boat, switch off as required so everyone gets to play some fish. That is about the ideal scenario as far as I am concerned. Safer too.

I live in Nanaimo and am open to casual fishing encounters. ;p

You golf boys should take up Tai Chi. Even cheaper and it may add some humility ;)

Loneliness is a huge issue for men so let’s do our best.

Thanks for the kind words.

Have you thought about joining Esquimalt anglers and the South Island anglers association. I know some of the volunteers for the Sooke net pen project, all good social guys. One I’ve been fishing with.

Feel free to shoot me a pm and grab a coffee with me at uptown. I’d take you fishing but my boat is on the hard, and I am often too disorganized to get other guys out with me. I’m also waiting for the greatest country on earth to get me my brake calipers but it’s an extra long holiday.

Most of my buddies mostly aren't fishermen, at least not in any serious sense. I may be able to get them out once a year on a fair weather day but to them its mostly a boat ride. Like someone else mentioned, my wife doesnt want to spend all her time fishing. She is game and will put up with more fishing time than a lot will, and she likes to fill the freezer... but she has her limits as well. Plus we have two dogs at home that she mostly manages while I dissappear all day. I don't mind fishing alone, do it often and like that I'm not usually on a schedule. But having one other competent person on board who I get along with is about perfect for me. Somone to run riggers and gear, someone to drive the boat, switch off as required so everyone gets to play some fish. That is about the ideal scenario as far as I am concerned. Safer too.

I live in Nanaimo and am open to casual fishing encounters. ;p
Having a competent deckhand on board is key. I enjoy taking guests, even have dedicated guest rods, but an experienced hand is preferred, for all the actions you mentioned.

Try getting involved with other activities besides just fishing. Whether it is rotary club, or fundraisers etc. Enhancement groups are great one, or derbies etc. I met a lot people with similar interest this way. If your lucky you will meet some people that also have their own boats. That is how you network.

The people with their own boats are in my opinion the best to take out. They understand cost of running boats, and also if your in trouble know how to operate the boat itself not just fishing gear. Your not guiding. Remember though there are people you take out, and sometimes you get tired of them. Being on boat for hours can bring out worst in some people. Sometimes it isn't anything you both did. Personalities just don't gel. The multiple days are in my opinion the hardest. Doesn't matter who it is. If there is something not right it usually simmers up in a few days.

And don't take it personally if your on someone else a boat and never get invite back for some reason. You probably did nothing wrong, and the persons exceptions wasn't inline with the way you do things.

Don't say I can't fish with anyone or your get lonely on your boat lol.

Last edited:
Netting a fish is a real make or break scenario for any friendship. I've probably lost more friends while fishing than gained, to be honest.
Captain Ahab? I've taken guys fishing, and they have told me, all they were thinking is don't mess up netting this fish, don't mess up netting this fish. The barks I get from some buddies are unreal, even the ones who meditate. Temperament can surely make or break a trip and a cheerful generous "you take this fish" attitude on a fishing trip, a treasured thing.

My only rule is that if you bring your own gear, you better have tied good knots before you got to the boat, and if your reel doesn't work, it might get deep-sixed!

Netting a fish is a real make or break scenario for any friendship. I've probably lost more friends while fishing than gained, to be honest.
One of my best fishing buddies is a guide I met while working on his boat. We became instant and long term friends almost from the moment we met. So good he invited my wife and I to Ukee for a 10 day trip. First day, first Salmon and…..he knocked it off the hook when he bumped the lure with the net. No harm, no foul we just let the line back out and fished on.

One of my best fishing buddies is a guide I met while working on his boat. We became instant and long term friends almost from the moment we met. So good he invited my wife and I to Ukee for a 10 day trip. First day, first Salmon and…..he knocked it off the hook when he bumped the lure with the net. No harm, no foul we just let the line back out and fished on.
I did the same to a buddy I met on here. It was on my boat and we cought many more fish. But I'll never forget the embarrassment. He is probably the best fisherman I've ever seen. Used to guide up at Hippa. I was devastated.

"HE DOVE AT THE LAST SECOND, I SWEAR!"

The problem isn't meeting potential fishing buddies, its making fishing buddies you want to go out with again.... I find its like dating, you have to "click".

I've made fishing buddies at my boat club. My most consistent fishing buddy is the father of a co-worker who introduced us when he moved here from ontario a few years ago.

I've also made fishing buddies off facebook market place when i've sold or bought stuff and we got to chatting.

I separate this from the "occasional trip" for friends and family. For that kind of trip I call them "tourist" because you end up doing more work and compromising want kind of fishing you want to do.

Hard core fishing buddies are hard to find a good match, they have to know what they are doing with gear, have the same outlook, point of view of fishing etc.

for instance a recent potential fishing buddy failed my strange est of etiquette test and I won't be going with them again. I also now have auto pilot so handling the boat solo/myself is a breeze

The problem isn't meeting potential fishing buddies, its making fishing buddies you want to go out with again.... I find its like dating, you have to "click".

I've made fishing buddies at my boat club. My most consistent fishing buddy is the father of a co-worker who introduced us when he moved here from ontario a few years ago.

I've also made fishing buddies off facebook market place when i've sold or bought stuff and we got to chatting.

I separate this from the "occasional trip" for friends and family. For that kind of trip I call them "tourist" because you end up doing more work and compromising want kind of fishing you want to do.

Hard core fishing buddies are hard to find a good match, they have to know what they are doing with gear, have the same outlook, point of view of fishing etc.

for instance a recent potential fishing buddy failed my strange est of etiquette test and I won't be going with them again. I also now have auto pilot so handling the boat solo/myself is a breeze

Yeah the autopilot is an easy fishing partner.

Even good fishermen and guides are capable of making mistakes which are a lot easier to laugh about if it happens during a productive day.
The classic is holding the bag of the net against the handle and forgetting to let go when plunging the net under the fish. I laughed a lot harder off Bamfield when a teener spring that would have finished our limits was trampolined 10 feet in the air and bounced off the gunnel into the water than I did on a slow day off Esperanza that would have been the second keeper in two days.

I know the feeling of fishing buddy that is the only person I’d go fishing with being gone it’s a tough one to replace !
I think most of us choose the solace of creek/river bank or the muttering of the troll and living in the moment without people in general but for the “fishing buddy” would go the distance to make it happen sadly fishing buddies are rarer than winning lotto tickets these days so good luck with your search

Back