Fuel Prices 2023

Parksville General Store marked gas (mid grade) $1.87/L yesterday. French Creek marina, fuel price is $2.36/L. Basically $.50/L difference, that's nuts!! Thievery at it's finest.

Last edited:
Parksville General Store marked gas (mid grade) $1.87/L yesterday. French Creek marina, fuel price is $2.36/L. Basically $.50/L difference, that's nuts!! Thievery at it's finest.
I'm not in any way an apologist for the oil industry and their games, but marinas are mostly family owned businesses. If you're in moorage, or you have your boat in the water for a couple of weeks' vacation, you need that business to have fuel there at dockside for you. If you launch your boat and run it down Barkley Sound or Esperanza or Quatsino, it's no coincidence that there's gas or diesel waiting for you. It cost plenty to get the fuel there in the first place, and the regulations around fuel storage around bodies of water are rightly stringent, and therefore compliance is expensive. The boating/fishing season is short so there's not a lot of time to turn a profit. And turn a profit they must, or there'll be no fuel for you when you need it.

I'm not in any way an apologist for the oil industry and their games, but marinas are mostly family owned businesses. If you're in moorage, or you have your boat in the water for a couple of weeks' vacation, you need that business to have fuel there at dockside for you. If you launch your boat and run it down Barkley Sound or Esperanza or Quatsino, it's no coincidence that there's gas or diesel waiting for you. It cost plenty to get the fuel there in the first place, and the regulations around fuel storage around bodies of water are rightly stringent, and therefore compliance is expensive. The boating/fishing season is short so there's not a lot of time to turn a profit. And turn a profit they must, or there'll be no fuel for you when you need it.
You’re right in many regards but there is a limit to how much is too much. Fifty cents a litre spread between the two locations is too much. I never can remember a price spread like that.

It's double edge sword. If the margin is reasonable, they would sell more and be able to turn a profit base on volume. Like @MRWood says if it’s too much I won’t come in and buy hat, ice cream bar etc.

But volume is surely going backwards, the four months of chinook closures each spring is putting a serious damper in marina business.

$2.22/L at the Chevron dock in Vancouver. Noticed that they charged GST on top of the total amount and as a separate line. Not sure if that was always there but it certainly caught my eyes this time! o_O

Fueled up in Coal Harbour today - gasoline was $2.28/L (plus GST, that's always been the case there and most marine fuel places we frequent). Attendant said it was going up 9-cents a litre tonight. Didn't get the diesel price, but he said it was going up 2 or 3 cents a litre as well.

$2.15 the other day at Critter Cove in Nootka. Extremely reasonable considering where you are and what it could be. I figure that gas is still the cheapest part of the equation.

$2.15 the other day at Critter Cove in Nootka. Extremely reasonable considering where you are and what it could be. I figure that gas is still the cheapest part of the equation.
I was pleased with the pricing in nootka 2 summers back. Glad they still have reasonable prices...my worst experiences have been Pender harbour and eggmont.

Was nice to see a price drop for the long weekend at the regular pumps in Victoria. Marked premium 2.01 New thing of having to sign an affidavit if getting more than 40L, is a bit of a pain but I just needed a few extra gallons for the round trip so kept it quick since I was taking up a couple lanes at the pump. Heading up island in week or so, gas looks pretty affordable in Nanaimo and Courtenay compared to Vic and Van.

Was nice to see a price drop for the long weekend at the regular pumps in Victoria. Marked premium 2.01 New thing of having to sign an affidavit if getting more than 40L, is a bit of a pain but I just needed a few extra gallons for the round trip so kept it quick since I was taking up a couple lanes at the pump. Heading up island in week or so, gas looks pretty affordable in Nanaimo and Courtenay compared to Vic and Van.
The affidavit isn't new...just not many places use it. The shell in Campbell has made me fill it out, esso in Osoyoos has as well. I would happily fill it out at the local station but they don't bother.

The affidavit isn't new...just not many places use it. The shell in Campbell has made me fill it out, esso in Osoyoos has as well. I would happily fill it out at the local station but they don't bother.
Used to have a co-op marked gas card. Fill it out once and then show the card and they add it to their paper form, I can imagine some guy in a government basement entering them into a database somewhere for no reason

I filled up yesterday @ Super Save at Bowen and Northfield in Nanaimo for $180.9 for regular. Been packing cans down to the boat

I have always assumed we should use mid grade or 89 in boat motors? As well as ethanol free? I guess if you’re burning it up right away and not letting it sit, ethanol wouldn’t be a big deal.

Back