Commander 26 Re Build

Any suggestions on how much to lower the deck? right now it’s planned at 8”
I took the day and the weekend off so hoping to get her done.
Got everything out from under the deck and going to start cutting shortly, will start at 8” and if needed will drop more
Are you not going to have to add support for the walls where they attached to the floor? Are you just going to scab on?

I think this is definitely the way to go, it has kinda always been the one gripe I had about commanders but with this, perfect boat.
I agree, at first I was so stoked with all the room under the deck, had so many plans…. Bringing a few bikes along for trips and stuff…. Wtf am I thinking , I can ride a bike around my neighborhood! This also seems much safer for people on the deck

I agree, at first I was so stoked with all the room under the deck, had so many plans…. Bringing a few bikes along for trips and stuff…. Wtf am I thinking , I can ride a bike around my neighborhood! This also seems much safer for people on the deck
E-scooter time

Are you not going to have to add support for the walls where they attached to the floor? Are you just going to scab on?
Well I’m sure glad Ron came before I started cutting the floor, he’s got a way better idea where to cut the glass to keep the curve. All walls will have added support, and will be beefed up, and connected to transom, I should probably mount my pod before we totally secure the deck to the transom. I don’t want to run into a situation where I’m mounting the pod and working around the gussets and reinforcements to find mounting locations.

If Ron can pull off the deck drop for a reasonable price, tell him he's got an all expenses paid trip to the island waiting for him when he's done with your boat.
Sweeet , you can fill up my boat and I will drop him off!

No seriously, how much is Ron and that space in your shop?
Lmao, Ron is yours, I will definitely set you up with him, you won’t find a better deal. Don’t worry I have told Ron about you. As for my shop, my head would explode if you brought your boat here (FYI around 400 bucks to drop it here) It would be over for me, I would never work on trucks agains… hmmmmmmm

No seriously, how much is Ron and that space in your shop?
I pay Ron hourly, we don’t have a price set per job. Be very careful of that as guys will quote you something and then cut corners. Ron said it’s very rare to see a project like mine, most guys patch stuff up and cheap as possible, he has explained to me different ways of repairing stuff and the life expectancy of that repair. For example we can repair all spider crack 2 ways. 1st way is fast cheap but after a year all cracks will re appear, 2nd way is time consuming but will last a decade. I told him from the start to not cut any corners, no expenses spared with supplies and parts. You get what you pay for, that’s y the most important thing is to find good people, everything else will work out

Makes sense leaving the wall-to-floor transition as is. A section out of the middle of the under floor vertical supports may save you from messing with the glass work where the support meets hull/deck - just spititballin' sure you have it figured. You won't have trouble finding support to make bold moves - I'll hold yer beer... Giver!

It seems like the next step should be mounting the pod before I secure the deck. Once mounted I can choose my location to add posts from the deck to the transom. 4 posts came out, best believe at least 6 are going back in. Of course now the cabin door needs to be bigger. Also will have make sure everything like the holding tank, diesel heater, batteries. I think In the end the deck height will depend on the mounting and height of all the stuff under the deck.

Makes sense leaving the wall-to-floor transition as is. A section out of the middle of the under floor vertical supports may save you from messing with the glass work where the support meets hull/deck - just spititballin' sure you have it figured. You won't have trouble finding support to make bold moves - I'll hold yer beer... Giver!
I don’t have it figured out!!! But sure as hell hope to!

Back