Commander 26 Re Build

Who did the visor for you?
Did I send you a link before on where to get the rubber window molding?
Thanks for the link, I see they also have some doors, with my deck dropped I need a taller door. Ron wants me to buy something in a frame so he can mold it in.
I had the visor ordered by my local glass guys, same guys that replace my glass. Somewhere across the border, this is the only tag on it.
21D8F61D-2A11-4BC6-9D61-18562DF5051C.jpeg

Did your glass guys order it and then cut it for you based on your old one?
That was the original plan, but it was a little too much for them to make it perfect, it’s not really what they do, so they had one custom made for me

Got my windows back today, they look great and slide very smooth, all new cat whiskers.
I still have some work to do on the frames, I cleaned them up a bit but definitely need to figure out a way to make them look as close to new as possible. The weather stripping on the outside is easy to replace and the way this re build is going I should probably replace it.
My favourite has to be the new visor for the flybridge, love the blue, pre drilled stepped mounting holes, the visor cost me as much as all new windows LoLView attachment 77290View attachment 77291View attachment 77292View attachment 77293View attachment 77294View attachment 77298View attachment 77295View attachment 77296View attachment 77297
You could pop the glass and have the frames re- anodized. No idea what the cost would be, the anodizing is quite simple, but the finish is only as good as the prep work. Can't really tell by the pictures if it would be worth the effort, they look pretty good.

You could pop the glass and have the frames re- anodized. No idea what the cost would be, the anodizing is quite simple, but the finish is only as good as the prep work. Can't really tell by the pictures if it would be worth the effort, they look pretty good.
Did your glass guys order it and then cut it for you based on your old one?
I will ask exactly what kind of glass they put in.
AS1 green is what he told me.

Ahhhhh, I love when the real commanders show up ;)
The commander rendezvous must be the coolest thing in the world, all those beauty’s together

Besides windows coming in nothing to report today…. Work is getting in my way again, No Ron today… will call it our Sunday

The frames look pretty good, there’s no damage anywhere. I would have to pop the cat whiskers also to have bare frames.
I’m planning to clean it with a light pad and use some kind of polish… or something along that line. LoL I been practicing on the back on my Thunderjet, white scotch pad so far is working ok but lot of work

The frames look pretty good, there’s no damage anywhere. I would have to pop the cat whiskers also to have bare frames.
I’m planning to clean it with a light pad and use some kind of polish… or something along that line. LoL I been practicing on the back on my Thunderjet, white scotch pad so far is working ok but lot of work
I'm sure you're familiar with anodizing. If you remove that very thin layer of anodized aluminum you have exposed the raw aluminum resulting in the usual oxidation, staining, blah blah... Raw aluminum. If you take off the anodized layer in some places and not others it will look mottled over time.

Just looking at an aircraft rolling garbage bin that I have in my office. They take a beating, I tried cleaning it up with a variety of cleaners and light abrasives. Looked ok initially, but after a year or so I wish I had just left it alone.

I'm sure you're familiar with anodizing. If you remove that very thin layer of anodized aluminum you have exposed the raw aluminum resulting in the usual oxidation, staining, blah blah... Raw aluminum. If you take off the anodized layer in some places and not others it will look mottled over time.

Just looking at an aircraft rolling garbage bin that I have in my office. They take a beating, I tried cleaning it up with a variety of cleaners and light abrasives. Looked ok initially, but after a year or so I wish I had just left it alone.
Man…. This boats not going to let me cut any corners,

They're not eye catching horrible. Looks like some of the anodizing has been buffed off, little pitting. All depends what you can live with, have to draw a line somewhere. With new rubber seals they will probably look much better. Keep em, re-anodize em, or ask SeaGlaze to make you a new set. I don't envy you the decision, sorry dude...

All the white silicone around my windows and rubrail have little black spots on them. Have tried everything to clean it, no dice, makes me a little crazy, probably no one else even notices. Can't bring myself to strip it all as other than the spots it's in great shape. First world problems....

They're not eye catching horrible. Looks like some of the anodizing has been buffed off, little pitting. All depends what you can live with, have to draw a line somewhere. With new rubber seals they will probably look much better. Keep em, re-anodize em, or ask SeaGlaze to make you a new set. I don't envy you the decision, sorry dude...

All the white silicone around my windows and rubrail have little black spots on them. Have tried everything to clean it, no dice, makes me a little crazy, probably no one else even notices. Can't bring myself to strip it all as other than the spots it's in great shape. First world problems....
Oh I noticed the little black spots around your windows....... :)

Last edited:

I’m
Oh I noticed the little black spots aorund your windows....... :)
Lmao , you had me walk over to look for second

Progress for the day
Resin coated transom ply, let it dry
Then we cut 2 sheets to transom size and bonded to a larger ply underneath with dowels holding it in place. Will be cutting the lower ply tomorrow to size.
3/4 ply , 1.5 oz mat.
And put as much weight on top as possible without dropping a pallet on it, Didn’t want to use screws.AEEE8F15-BFDC-492F-B257-E74947E8A788.jpeg71BE9425-54E3-481E-8845-289BF33EE2DB.jpeg38ECEDDF-0B04-4821-8FC3-1CCDED7A21DD.jpeg7CFF4506-A47C-4AFF-A131-E23269529C92.jpegD240716C-9688-4571-94B2-29DE3A8FDE56.jpeg

Progress for the day
Resin coated transom ply, let it dry
Then we cut 2 sheets to transom size and bonded to a larger ply underneath with dowels holding it in place. Will be cutting the lower ply tomorrow to size.
3/4 ply , 1.5 oz mat.
And put as much weight on top as possible without dropping a pallet on it, Didn’t want to use screws.View attachment 77328View attachment 77329View attachment 77330View attachment 77332View attachment 77333
Dowels!? This isn't up to @cracked_ribs standards. Nor is the nudity level thus far.

Dowels!? This isn't up to @cracked_ribs standards. Nor is the nudity level thus far.
If Ron says dowels go in then dowels go in.
He learned the hard way early in his career, had a hard time keeping pieces from sliding and doesn’t want to use screws.
My first plan for the boat was a bit different, now the only thing used on it will be the window frames, Ron has big plans especially with the gel coat, even in the inside of the hull he wants some kind of marble finish, I can’t wait to start.
Also I’m learning where my standards should be, cracked ribs is a big name on this forum and I can’t be even in the same conversation.

Boat ****… flood this thread with as many nude commander pics u got ;)
I would the first hiding in the bathroom looking at commander pics all night long

Back