Canucks 2021 Season

Well, wasn't that just something? Absolute embarrassing team defence structure and execution. Let's just stand around and admire the tenacious Habs forecheck, Game was over after 10 minutes. Thank goodness for the 3rd period mercy rule. No showers for you Montreal.
In my opinion no way an NHL calibre team to a player plays to that level unless they are gassed. Horvat and the top line especially Miller had nothing to give. So why was that's? Schedule? Both Montreal and upcoming Toronto have had an extremely slack schedule and it shows well against the Canucks. Not sure what to expect tomorrow, zero expectations that's for sure.
There was some serious pee wee mistakes being made out there

Being a long suffering Canucks fan, after the playoffs I though they had finally built a team that had a chance to go deep into the playoffs year after year. A series of bad management decisions seems to have ensured that will not come to pass anytime soon.

Sure they were exhausted with the Covid schedule leading to all the turnovers, giveaways and breakaways. The schedule, at least so far, heavely favors the east but who's fault is that. One assumes this scheduled was negotiated and the Canucks management team had input and agreed to it.

It was interesting that Markstrom now with Calgary recently did to the Habs what he so often did to better teams the Canucks managed to defeat. In fairness Demko played great in the playoffs last year and is younger. If I understand it correctly they can only protect one goalie in the coming expansion draft for Seattle, so perhaps it made sense, but Holtby whos stats. have been falling for a few years now, is no Markstrom.

They have stuck in there with Virtanen (who is big, fast and reasonably skilled) way to long trying to develop him into the player that lived up to his potential. Given the tools he has he should be a far better player than he is but for whatever reason never gets there.

Most of all, it is having to watch Toffoli tear up the Canucks everytime he plays them. He is easily a top six winger and both for the Canucks last year and now for the Habs, he is a goal scoring machine and playing like a superstar. What was the point of giving up draft picks to get him, although a brillant move, and then not finding a way to keep him and letting Montreal get him for nothing. It is hard to watch the Canucks play Montreal and know what should have been. He will be kicking the Canucks butt for years to come.

Last edited:
Being a long suffering Canucks fan, after the playoffs I though they had finally built a team that had a chance to go deep into the playoffs year after year. A series of bad management decisions seems to have ensured they will not come to pass anytime soon.

Sure they were exhausted with the Covid schedule leading to all the turnovers, giveaways and breakaways. The schedule, at least so far, heavely favors the east but who's fault is that. One assumes this scheduled was negotiated and the Canucks management team had input and agreed to it.

It was interesting that Markstrom now with Calgary recently did to the Habs what he so often did to better teams the Canucks managed to defeat. In fairness Demko played great in the playoffs last year and is younger. If I understand it correctly they can only protect one goalie in the coming expansion draft for Seattle, so perhaps it made sense, but Holtby whos stats. have been falling for a few years now, is no Markstrom.

They have stuck in there with Virtanen (who is big, fast and reasonably skilled) way to long trying to develop him into the player that lived up to his potential. Given the tools he has he should be a far better player than he is but for whatever reason never gets there.

Most of all, it is having to watch Toffoli tear up the Canucks everytime he plays them. He is easily a top six winger and both for the Canucks last year and now for the Habs, he is a goal scoring machine and playing like a superstar. What was the point of giving up draft picks to get him, although a brillant move, and then not finding a way to keep him and letting Montreal get him for nothing. It is hard to watch the Canucks play Montreal and know what should have been. He will be kicking the Canucks butt for years to come.
Toffoli has only scored 1 goal against a team not the Canucks.

Hum, perhaps we can trade Virtanen for him. They have not played that many games yet but he sure has the Canucks number. What is it 6 goals in 3 games?
I don't see any team taking Virtanen

I don't see any team taking Virtanen

Not without some serious luongo style funding support anyway.

That was rough last night for sure. Coach was ripping them hard on the bench to little effect. See who shows up next few games, the team needs to get it together on the road for some consistency.

Being a long suffering Canucks fan, after the playoffs I though they had finally built a team that had a chance to go deep into the playoffs year after year. A series of bad management decisions seems to have ensured that will not come to pass anytime soon.

I agree with some of what you are saying RF...the salary cap and how it is managed at the club level is really quite mind boggling and teams pay big dollars to capologists (is that even a word?) to manage and navigate the nuances of salaries and the cap. So what we assume should be an easy balance of $in and $out is really quite complicated. This team is still paying as we know for past wrongs...Benning has some exceptional skill and talent on finding and analyzing hockey talent...that is a fact. We just need to keep him from writing the deals and making offers...just find em and rank em.

It is funny, but the way the NHL is structured now, a careful balance of experienced vets and the super talented entry level young guys are what is needed (and a lights out goalie) and we lost portions of that formula...the window for a run is very short...there is no way in hell that we will be able to keep all of these young skilled players when they start to head to unrestricted free agency....we might not be able to keep them all as restricted...remember the offer sheet crap the Flyers pulled a few years back on the Canucks with Kesler...we ended up overpaying HARD to keep him.

Virtanen has some great potential, always has, and has always been better than everyone else until he hit the NHL. His commitment seems to be the issue BUT someone will take him... in a heartbeat...maybe a change of venue is what is needed, he has a long uphill climb out of Green's doghouse. He did have 18 goals and 30 plus points last year, someone will take him...

absolutely brutal last game, when Meyers is pretty much your best D man on the night , well that says it all right there. Hughes was a nightmare defensively, they all played bad. Anyhoooo I'm going out on a limb here and say they bounce back and win tonight, hahaha, and If they play like they did last game I'll be at the airport with a carton of eggs waitin for them after this trip (unless they sweep the maple laughs, hahaha)

Just watching another painful game tonight. Tofolli for sure has the Canucks number.
The guy just scores so effortlessly.

Canadiens have spent $105M on 6 transfers since last October. Anyone knows how much the Canucks been spending for the same period?

Last edited:
8 fookin goals against the canucks this season. I like toffoli and was bummed he left, but come on, snap out of it, guys.

Team was way too passive after being embarrassed, no pushback and unfortunately not scaring anyone. Miller seems broken.Was heart and sole of the team last year along with Horvat, they look disinterested in my opinion.Looked better overall though.

Last edited:
Well...what's going to happen tonight??
No more Toffoli but now we have Tavares, Matthews, Marner...even Jumbo

Back