Canucks 2021 Season

13 games in 21 days with travel is no question a factor under the best of circumstances but still hoping for the best. LOL Toronto coming off 5 days rest as mentioned earlier. No excuses but its a telling story that has some merit. No Toffoli helps.

We are the only team in our division to not have more than one day off in between games since the first game of the season.
After this road trip apparently we have the so called easiest schedule in the league. Damage may have already been done and possibly no recovery in the shortened season.

Vancouver = 1 day off only in between 13 games so far (4 of those days off were spent travelling).
Flames have had a 2 and a 5 day break since game 1
Oilers are currently on a 3 day break
Habs have had a 2 & a 4 day break
Leafs have had a 4 day break

Senators have had 3 - 2 day breaks

Also hoping JV is not afraid of himself and plays like he did last game. Even though he has given lots of previous opportunities I still feel he hasn't so far this year been given a fair shot. Roussel has been brutal.

Last edited:
I dunno if jumbo is playing. He just started skating again. I’ll put my money on TO

Well...what's going to happen tonight??
No more Toffoli but now we have Tavares, Matthews, Marner...even Jumbo
Tofolli was easier on us. It was a pain to watch tonight. Is greeny back on walking a tightrope again?

Started out ok so I had a little hope. Don't tell me washed up Spezza, castaway Petan and trade able Kerfoot would be Super stars on this given night. Cake walk for the high octane, cocky Leafs who have everyone on top of their game.
Still think something happened behind the scene that has effected the room. Losing the well liked Maholtra? Hopefully someone spills the beans. I am looking for some pride or something as no way this team could be this bad. Maybe I need to get my head out of the sand and admit they are. LOL.
Right side defence is in a shambles. Leafs exploited it all night with ease.

Last edited:
What's next in store?
In my opinion they won't fire JB right now as I feel his hands were tied by the owners and his gamble that the Cap would increase and Covid 19 pandemic backfired. Maybe in the off season but for now something needs to happen. I am now thinking a trade accomplishes nothing with a probability of improving by say 5% if we are lucky. Firing Greene would be a possible starting point as he owns the performance on the ice but with a shortened season and brutal schedule I am thinking staying the course as well for now. Because the system defence is broken the logical choice to me would be Baumgartner. Replace him with a seasoned, experienced coach who hopefully can short term right the ship but also have his eyes on the head coaching position in the off season. Gives management a little breathing room to determine if there is a fit and at the same time puts Greene on notice to show that he is the future. Extension or not.
Gallant would be My choice. A little concerned of why he was fired in Vegas though. Babcock, no as I think we would have to pony up some $$$$ to the Leafs.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't see how they become competitive anytime soon. Last year playoff was a mirage. When you have ~46 million in cap space tied up with players that could be replaced for significantly less money and get the same or better performance you're screwed. Imagine if they surrounded these early entry contact guys on cheap deals (Peterson/Hughes) with players that could make plays. Instead we have 46 million tied up in:

Holtby
Edler
Myers
Sutter
Beagle
Roussel
Pearson
Virtanen
Benn
Erikkson
Baertschi
Schaller
Luongo cap recapture

You could argue that most of these guys won't ever get another NHL contract. Over 50% of cap space allocation gone for a bunch of plugs.

Fire the owner, no sane hockey person can be this dumb. Maybe Benning actually

Unfortunately I don't see how they become competitive anytime soon. Last year playoff was a mirage. When you have ~46 million in cap space tied up with players that could be replaced for significantly less money and get the same or better performance you're screwed. Imagine if they surrounded these early entry contact guys on cheap deals (Peterson/Hughes) with players that could make plays. Instead we have 46 million tied up in:

Holtby
Edler
Myers
Sutter
Beagle
Roussel
Pearson
Virtanen
Benn
Erikkson
Baertschi
Schaller
Luongo cap recapture

You could argue that most of these guys won't ever get another NHL contract. Over 50% of cap space allocation gone for a bunch of plugs.

Fire the owner, no sane hockey person can be this dumb. Maybe Benning actually
Agree on firing the owner. He’s the worst part of this. He can fire his assistant Benning but not much will change. If it gets worse, aquilinis aren’t gonna have much value in the Canucks anyways. And they already got their pay day off the land so might as well sell the team if us fans are fed up with it

imagine a Canucks team that nobody even wants to go to a game. It’s getting close to that. Just like 20 years ago

What is most frustrating for me is the consequences of the terrible contracts in recent years was foreseen by pretty much everyone but Benning. The team simply cannot get better if it is constantly being hamstrung by terrible contracts. I fear we will watch the best years of Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser wasted as the team languishes.

Tightlines’ list above tells the whole story. The asset mismanagement by this regime is shocking.

Not a lot to be positive about in that game other than not having to watch Toffoli put a couple more in the net. Good to see Horvat's heart trying to lift the team on his back but it was just to heavy this time. Was also impressed with Boeser putting his body on the line and going down to block a shot late in the game when it was far out of reach.
Virtanen was MIA and unlike the others had no exhaustion excuse from the schedule since he was a healthy scratch.

Time for a clean sweep. Coach and gm need to go, this team cant compete except with ottawa, and they are terrible. Defensive play is atrocious by the forwards and d.

Back