Canucks 2021 Season

At least petey got his first goal of the year. Hopefully that breaks his slump.

battle for last place coming up with 3 games against ottawa

Hughes, while exciting, is lost on D w/o Tanev bailing him out. Starting to look like he might be a player very similar to Eric Karlson - amazing offensive D-man, but often a liability defensively. Hopefully we shed the dead cap $$$ to build better team depth before this young core hits its prime.

Don’t have to look much further than Edmonton and Toronto to see what unlimited forward and offensive talent, while sacrificing D and goaltending, gets you ... ie not much playoff success. Other than Hughes and Schmidt, we need a complete blow up on D and crossed fingers that Demko develops into a consistently good #1. Nearly 5-goals against/game is going to have us losing another draft lottery!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Well that was painful .. again :(
I thought they at least showed some compete, petterson definitely looked a lot better (did cough up a few) with the puck and his shot, they hit a few posts, montreal scored a couple against the play when canucks had good pressure on, even though they lost by 3 I was happier with their play compared to the last game, I think they'll take at least 2 games from ottawa. not sure why they took gaudette out, he had a bad game last game but he created a l;ot of chances and looked decent in previous games, they are all having bad games, lol. hughes needs to pass more and needs a solid defensive d man to play with, he sure does miss tanev, he needs to untuck his jersey, he ain't no gretzky and the little **** shouldn't be cocky the way he is currently playing. parts of the game were painful for sure. If benn can play like he did in the playoffs (obviously didn't last night, lol) that will help a bit.

I thought they at least showed some compete, petterson definitely looked a lot better (did cough up a few) with the puck and his shot, they hit a few posts, montreal scored a couple against the play when canucks had good pressure on, even though they lost by 3 I was happier with their play compared to the last game, I think they'll take at least 2 games from ottawa. not sure why they took gaudette out, he had a bad game last game but he created a l;ot of chances and looked decent in previous games, they are all having bad games, lol. hughes needs to pass more and needs a solid defensive d man to play with, he sure does miss tanev, he needs to untuck his jersey, he ain't no gretzky and the little **** shouldn't be cocky the way he is currently playing. parts of the game were painful for sure. If benn can play like he did in the playoffs (obviously didn't last night, lol) that will help a bit.
I think you are right about him missing Tanev to do the drudge defensive work so he can do the free wheeling, offensive things he does well. I have noticed that Tanev is not coasting to retirement. Getting traded seems to have lit a fire under him and he really seams to have stepped up his game and shot blocking.

Last edited:
No excuses what so ever but the NHL schedulers to start the season didn't do the Canucks any favours. We have had 3 in 4 to start the season, other teams as well have had back to backs but 2 days rest in between. No practise time to try and fix some of this mess or to catch their breath to regroup. I am afraid the slump will continue and as we know it and I don't see any upcoming schedule breaks either. Historically the Canucks in the past have been notorious slow starters. Calgary coming off 5 days rest and Montreal now on a 5 day rest. Toronto basically plays every other night with a very favourable start to the season. I will assume eventually all teams will face the scheduler. Possibly too late I am afraid for the Canucks in my opinion, so on to the 2021 draft. Hoping for better. Ottawa will be a telling story.

Last edited:
Now Petterson is switching agents and getting ready to leave at season's end(!)
Just because he is switching agents doesn't mean he is preparing to jump ship, that is up to the Canucks...the big payday (bigger than this next contract) for him will come when he is an unrestricted free agent in 5 years.
It is just the end of his entry level contract...

Just because he is switching agents doesn't mean he is preparing to jump ship, that is up to the Canucks...the big payday (bigger than this next contract) for him will come when he is an unrestricted free agent in 5 years.It is just the end of his entry level contract...
Yeah I know I was just trying to stir some sh¡t. ;)

Kinda painful to watch tbh, their D has always been a weak spot but without tanev and markstrom to bail them out constantly, cant see how they will compete. Getting rid of the big slow, error prone garbageson and then getting a guy like myers to replace him??? Time for new management.

Man, Ottawa made the Canucks look pretty good offensively. I will take it but a lot of rust still on the Canucks back end. Demko was dialled in, Sutter hat trick first of his career. Still can't figure out why Rousell is getting ice time. Benched Gaudette on the wing I think would bring more. Who knows. Let's see what the next game brings us.

it was a good confidence booster for sure.
Myers still slow and error prone. Every time he’s the D between our goalie and the attacker, I hold my breath....

Man, Ottawa made the Canucks look pretty good offensively. I will take it but a lot of rust still on the Canucks back end. Demko was dialled in, Sutter hat trick first of his career. Still can't figure out why Rousell is getting ice time. Benched Gaudette on the wing I think would bring more. Who knows. Let's see what the next game brings us.
I agree, Rousell should be sitting , not Gaudette, but then that would make Benning looks worse than the cap fiasco already has, kudos for his draft picks. Juolevi looks better but Motte played a great game and should have been a star along with Sutter and Demko. Miller is still sorting out his game after his late start to the season, they need to sweep this series or get a minimum 5 pts out of it. I think Meyers will be ok as the season progresses, Schmidt looked better. they still had a couple of bad turnovers, Demko bailed them out early. Miller, Boeser and Petterson were -1 for the game in a 7-1 win, lol. I think they'll make up for that next game.

First period again really tough to watch, in my opinion that's on the coaches. 15 seconds first defence turnover. Start of the second 10 seconds first defensive turnover. Good team would have buried those chances. Team was not ready and it showed and were rightly so embarrassed. Demko was great. Myers really struggling. Rousell ?
From that point on it was on Miller. Was outstanding and EP40 took notice. Ottawa is a fragile team and the Canucks finally showed some interest. Adding some confidence so hopefully tomorrow the Canucks start without all those bad habits.

Glad i didnt watch the first period...great second and third period :) You about called it Right Drink :)

Back