Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

The 3,000-tonne “Guoxin 101” aims to produce fish without polluting the environment. The idea is to produce fish far out at sea, where sludge/waste can be easily washed away by the ocean currents. A constant flow of clean seawater fills the tanks on board the ship.

that would get the farmed fish away from impacts to at least smolts and very much lessen interactions w adult stocks, as well - if it can be done - and profitably...

Sorry for the double post, too many fish farm threads
It’s a start…

“Tonight, we celebrate! The feds just announced that fish farms will be phased out of the Discovery Islands over the next 18 months. That means farms currently raising fish will finish their grow-out and won’t be able to re-stock.”

Yes it’s a start to reconciliation and provinding First Nations with more power over there traditional territories as well as proving future opportunities for economic agreements.

So if and when the stocks continue to plummet and crash. Who takes the blame FN or DFO? Will there actually be accountability with FN being more involved?

So if and when the stocks continue to plummet and crash. Who takes the blame FN or DFO? Will there actually be accountability with FN being more involved?
Lets hope the First Nations that are taking this action can pressure the lower fraser bands to stop the wall of gill nets the migrating fish face after all if the Broughton bands put up a wall of gill nets there would be nothing for the lower fraser bands to gill net for as someone else would have beat them to it. The rape and pillage philosophy of the past industrialists cannot continue by a different group or there will be nothing left for anybody. Jimmy will take the last few in cans with him when he arrives at the pearly gates.

Minister Jordan in a post announcement interview with SeaWestNews agreed that science took a back seat to social licence when she made her decision on the Discovery Islands.

But she stressed that it did not mean that First Nations will essentially have veto powers over salmon farming operations in their traditional territories.

“Absolutely not….we are going to have a bigger conversation around aquaculture. You know I think Canada can be a global leader in aquaculture, I think that this is an extremely important industry, not only to British Columbia but to the world,” she said.

“You know, science plays an extremely important role in all of our decision making but it is not the only thing we use when we are making decisions.

“In the case of the Discovery Islands, as I said, we heard loud and clear from the seven First Nations that are impacted. This was something they were not in support of. We have to make sure we take these kinds of things into consideration as we make our decisions and as I said, this one was a very tough decision to make.

“The Discovery Islands sites were singled out by the Cohen Commission nearly a decade ago and they have been on a different track ever since…, that is one of the reasons that those licences were only renewed on a yearly basis as opposed to for like a number of years for other farms,” said Jordan.

“I want to continue to work with industry to find the right path forward, to make sure we are doing everything we can to make sure aquaculture continues to be an extremely vital part of the British Columbia’s economy.”

Seawest... ya, ya. I guess we need to hear from all perspectives and all biases.

Minister Jordan was at least correct in stating that science "is not the only thing we use when we are making decisions.". Politics, legal advice from DoJ; intense, private lobbying by industry and a huge conflict of interest in promoting aquaculture over the interests of protecting wild stocks have all had a long, sorted history within the department's decisions on the open net-pen industry, as well.

I think we are in agreement on that point.

Seawest... ya, ya. I guess we need to hear from all perspectives and all biases.

Minister Jordan was at least correct in stating that science "is not the only thing we use when we are making decisions.". Politics, legal advice from DoJ; intense, private lobbying by industry and a huge conflict of interest in promoting aquaculture over the interests of protecting wild stocks have all had a long, sorted history within the department's decisions on the open net-pen industry, as well.

I think we are in agreement on that point.

Its all about those fish farms on that other coast

I would state that it's the same issue about fish farms on all the coasts.

At some point one should come to the realization that the open net-pen technology does not provide adequate protection for the wild stocks. That has been proven again and again, on all coasts.

Then, as far as accepting the narrative on economics from the industry pundits as a valid argument - comes the tough decision: do we give-up wild salmon - as solely an economic decision verses any other rational decision-making?

so... wrt wild Atlantic salmon - almost all of those fisheries (exception some sport and the Greenland fishery which was bought-out) were shut-down like 40 years ago or so - and the existing rec fisheries do not provide enough measurable income to compete with the open net-pen industry revenues. The difference in BC is that so far - we haven't totally killed-off the wild salmon and there are other options. And those options (commercial & rec fishing & eco-tourism) bring substantially more into BC than does open net-cage aquaculture - despite the inaccurate & misleading numbers posted by the PR firms employed by the industry.

But that's the "Faustian bargain” that all communities have had eventually to grapple with - western Scotland, SW NB, and now here in BC. You won't find those speaking notes about these eventual tough choices in those bright, shiny BCSFA brochures.

Last edited:
Big push by fish farm employees And companies in small coastal communities on social media right now to get ms Jordan to reverse her decision (won’t happen but assume it’s to prove a point)

Back