Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

If you wanted to go back over the many posts and threads on this forum, BN - you will find that most posters (myself included) readily admit that it is death by a thousand cuts when it comes to impacts to wild salmon and their numbers. What we should be doing (IMHO) is reducing the numbers and intensities of those impacts where we can.

Since the open net-cage technology is "open" and impossible to mitigate since everything in the water (parasites & diseases, etc.) are amplified and re-emitted as a plume to the more vulnerable outmigrating juvenile salmon in particular - doesn't it make sense to go for closed containment? I think most people would agree.

In addition to that - that particular industry has co-opted the regulatory body of DFO - just go back a few pages to see that (Krisit-Miller Saunders, Justice Cohen, etc.).

In addition to that that particular industry has avoided all the normal checks and balances that other industries have - like an environmental assessment and reporting on disease outbreaks. They are the authors of their own demise in the realm of public opinion - despite the lies from the industry and DFO.

Thanks, dave. "How far they spread from the facilities depends on wind and current,” explains marine scientist Mari Myksvoll in an article on the IMR website."

Kinda a no-brainer, eh? Maybe the pro-farm pundits that troll here can remind us of what is done in BC wrt siting and then tell us again how it is "world-class" or some other PR-generated moniker and deflection. While they are doing that - maybe they can reference these studies:
https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/359853.pdf
https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/40656329.pdf
https://www.int-res.com/articles/aei2013/4/q004p091.pdf

Calm down agent, lol! I was simply showing that yes, aquaculture and aquaculture research is improving.
Of course siting is key, always has been for various reasons.

Siting has only been important from the FF perspective. If it was from a Wild Fish perspective the FF's wouldn't be where they are.

the only agency that seems to be surprised about the science on plumes and agent-based modelling verses siting criteria seems to be DFO - whom apparently think that salmon only swim 0.99km

Well at the rate we are killing off the wild stock, the only fish that will be left is through aquaculture.

Well it seems that loosing wild salmon is happening on a large scale in BC.
DFO is not resolving this, so the logical next step is Farmed Salmon.

I can live without eating Farmed Atlantic Salmon.
Loosing Wild Salmon would be more than tragic!

I can live with never eating a farmed Atlantic
Well it seems that loosing wild salmon is happening on a large scale in BC.
DFO is not resolving this, so the logical next step is Farmed Salmon.

I get your point, "the logical next step is Farmed Salmon"
You seem to be suggesting that wild salmon will be extinct shortly and if you want to eat salmon you will be limited to Atlantic Farmed Salmon.
With all due respect I suggest you are wrong and I expect to be able to fish Chinook and Coho for years to come.
I don't fish for Pinks and Sockeye.
Removing Open Net Pen Atlantic Salmon farms from our waters will not totally solve all the problems of wild salmon survival, but it will certainly help!

I used to expect to go catch Steelhead .

I can live with never eating a farmed Atlantic

I get your point, "the logical next step is Farmed Salmon"
You seem to be suggesting that wild salmon will be extinct shortly and if you want to eat salmon you will be limited to Atlantic Farmed Salmon.
With all due respect I suggest you are wrong and I expect to be able to fish Chinook and Coho for years to come.
I don't fish for Pinks and Sockeye.
Removing Open Net Pen Atlantic Salmon farms from our waters will not totally solve all the problems of wild salmon survival, but it will certainly help!

craigmedred
October 21, 2019 at 12:38 am
if we were so concerned with the health of the wild fish, why did we start dumping nearly 2 billion hatchery fish in the ocean every year?
siting of farms is a legitimate issue, but the state of Alaska never got to that point. it commissioned a thorough analysis of the environmental risks. it concluded they were small.
the Legislature subsequently decided the financial risks were big and banned salmon farms. that’s the history here.
Norwegian wild salmon were in trouble due to overfishing long before farming started. salmon are not native to Chile. they were introduced by hatcheries much like ours. farming came later: https://www.currentresults.com/Invasive-Species/Invasive-Water/chinook-709271.php
Washington state salmon, like those in Oregon, declined because of overfishing, pollution and dams. they too were in trouble before any farms appeared. Oregon took a shot at open-net fishing farming, which is what we do so successfully, and it failed miserably
there is every reason to believe that happened because of the same ocean problems that caused problems for wild fish there.
British Columbia stocks remain healthy, but increasingly face environmental issues the least of which might be farms. in the wake of the Cohen Commission report in British Columbia, it is probably safe to say fisheries officials there wish the province’s problems were as simple as farms.
but it’s all destined to become irrelevant anyway. land-based farms look on the verge of exploding in the U.S. and one can probably expect the same in Canada.
meanwhile, we annually gamble with wild stocks in Alaska by dropping billions of hatchery fish in state waters every spring. do all those fish have an influence in the statewide declines in Chinook salmon and regional declines in sockeye and coho.
i don’t know. i do know the question begs for some answers.

Fishing the feed​

Back