Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

I think it's an attempt to regain control of the narrative and thereby regain control of the political situation which has been the norm for this industry, SG. You're right tho - this is a done deal. Maybe they're actually looking for COVID monies to "adapt" or compensation behind the scenes:

Last edited:
Another sleepless night': Thousands of BC salmon farming jobs hang in the balance?
I don't think so, so I wrote a letter to Minister Jordan on how to solve the move to land in BC fish farms
Hi Minister Jordan et al
The quote in the subject line above is false. There are not thousands of jobs in the Discovery Islands. Fish farms vastly over estimate their employment figures so politicians think they are big, when they are not. My estimate is 212 jobs, and that is peanuts.
The industry says 1500 jobs in the Discovery Islands, while the BC govt’s own figure is only 1800 for the entire province. Mowi’s Discovery is 10,000 metric tonnes of salmon, while the entire province is only 85,000MT. Based on employment per MT, calculating from the BC figure makes the Discovery jobs only 212, or 11.8% of the industry estimate.
Here is how to do the jobs calculation: 10,000MT/85,000MT = 11.8%, then multiply 1800jobs X .118 = 212 jobs. That’s all there are. DFO has believed the false numbers for decades, but the BC Stats Report are the best stats. Your staff are using a figure of 7000 for the entire province, when it is false. And the figure will never rise to 10,000 as industry claims because the on-land industry in the USA, BC’s main market, is in the process of climbing to 6 times the size of the BC industry and US consumers want sustainable product. This will wipe out the BC industry, unless it comes to land and offers a price point.
Here is what else you should do:
1. Train the 212 employees to work in on-land fish farms. Then, when you move to the entire industry, you have a system already in place, so that jobs are not lost, and people need not worry.
2. As is done in Norway where the BC companies are from, you should reduce the on-land license to zero, while raising the in-ocean license as a way to influence the industry to land. Their in-ocean Norway licenses are auctioned for $32- to $40-million. In BC, raise the in-ocean license to $1 million and tell the industry you are giving them a break, with following licenses to be $5m and then up to the Norway levels. They will complain and then buy the licenses because fish farms are a license to print money. (I have the price margins, if you would like to see them).
3. Give each in-ocean farm in BC $1 million toward buying land for a farm.
4. Alternatively, grant some public land for fish farms to set up on land, or lease it to them.
Other Notes:
a. The BC government’s own stats, in the BC Stats Report, show there are not thousands of jobs. The entire industry jobs number is 1800 for 85 licenses. See: http://fishfarmnews.blogspot.com/2019/03/mar-21-2019-bc-stats-report-2016.html.
b. Here on Intrafish is where the subject line comes from: https://www.intrafish.com/aquacultu...the-balance/2-1-941716?utm_term=intrafish_com.
c. I worked in Treasury Board Staff for the Ministry of Finance, BC in the past. This is how I understand how to do analysis and calculations.
DC (Dennis) Reid

OLYMPIA, Wash. — A Canadian fish farming company is a step closer to once again operating in Puget Sound waters, but must stick with a native species under new rules.

The state Department of Ecology has updated the water quality permit for Cooke Aquaculture that will allow the company to farm native steelhead in pens near La Conner and Bainbridge Island.

The farmed fish must be sterile females and the company has to maintain strict measures to prevent escapes.

The state banned Cooke from raising non-native Atlantic salmon in local waters after its net pen near Cypress Island collapsed in 2017, releasing more than a quarter million farmed fish into Puget Sound.

“The largest salmon farm operator in the Discovery Islands is going to court to try to overturn federal Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan's order that all open-net salmon farms in the region must be shut down by June 2022.”
BC salmon farmers seek judicial reviews over aquaculture ban - Sea West News

If they loose, it will provide a path for other areas to tell this industry they should be on dry land stop spreading their disease and sea lice to our wild salmon!

Just more smoke & mirrors and blowing the trumpet for their followers & shareholders GF. I don't see this getting too far.

Piscine Orthoreovirus-1 Isolates Differ in Their Ability to Induce Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation in Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar)​

Well I guess nobody really knows what is going to happen in a court case - but I still don't think they have a leg to stand on. The public owns the waters - not them. And s. 35 of the Constitution Act is pretty clear about who needs to be consulted - and it's not them. I think it's a ploy for COVID monies and to keep their shareholders from immediately bailing.

I think what agent said on the piniped harvest thread some what applies to the fish farm issue. agent said:

"Unfortunately, Nog - little ol ladies w small fortunes and way too many cats often lap-up the PR material presented in the SSS website and keep these crooks and malignant narcissists in the black. Once these little ol ladies empty their bank accounts they then write letters to their elected reps so that things like EU fur bans happen - causing the expected end of large-scale seal hunts.

So, SSS and their ilk are actually fairly effective predators - preying on the well-intended, but inexperienced and misinformed urbanites. I wish they were but only a bad joke. Ask me how I really feel..."

The water belongs to Canadians from coast to coast, not just the "urbanites", populating coastal cities in BC which seem to be the ones that get the grease, displacing the opinions and benefits of salmon farms to the rest of Canadians.

I think what agent said on the piniped harvest thread some what applies to the fish farm issue. agent said:

"Unfortunately, Nog - little ol ladies w small fortunes and way too many cats often lap-up the PR material presented in the SSS website and keep these crooks and malignant narcissists in the black. Once these little ol ladies empty their bank accounts they then write letters to their elected reps so that things like EU fur bans happen - causing the expected end of large-scale seal hunts.

So, SSS and their ilk are actually fairly effective predators - preying on the well-intended, but inexperienced and misinformed urbanites. I wish they were but only a bad joke. Ask me how I really feel..."

The water belongs to Canadians from coast to coast, not just the "urbanites", populating coastal cities in BC which seem to be the ones that get the grease, displacing the opinions and benefits of salmon farms to the rest of Canadians.
do you have a prediction on which way the court case will go?

I always suspected a situation like this would end up in court and turn into a massive review/debate of the science. It wasn't long ago the government had stated that salmon farms posed less than minimal risk to wild bc salmon. Thats one part and I think the farming companies will win that portion.
Another issue will be the process of where salmon farming companies were not included in any process that lead to the action of to remove those sites.
The biggest issue will be how reconciliation comes into play and what exactly it is, as it is written. This is not my specialty but from what I have seen anything can happen but I feel in this case first nations in those areas have some pretty solid pull both in the public eye(mostly coastal urbanites) and in the courts.
I know nothing about these bands in the area of the farms in question and their governmental systems. From what I have seen in the past where for example, 5 unelected chiefs shut down the TMPL expansion, I get concerned that government is able and willing to use first nations organizations and their leaders whether they be diplomatically elected among their communities or not, to freely chose on issues as they wish. This is a problem that can leave community members unrepresented in processes such as the one at issue on this thread. And there are quite a few situations that touch on what I have mentioned above in bc and across Canada.

So I have no idea and I don't think many people do, and how could they when the process of reconciliation is confusing as it is for all parties involved. Ultimately the government wins regardless of science or reconciliation for they will steer the process to where the majority of votes come from and IMO this isn't fair or diplomatic for salmon farmers, first nations communities, sport fishers, hunters, whale watchers, tour guides etc.

This is a mess!

Last edited:
Altho surprisingly enough I agree w BN that some of the ENGOS (SSS, especially) are predatory and have engaged urbanites and driven the process politically - it is a paternalistic & self-serving mischaracterization to assume that it is only a urban & ENGO elitist cabal that is in the front lines of the battle to protect the wild fish resources that does not already intimately know the impacts from these operations. That is what the industry PR consultants want you to believe. It is not.

Instead, it has for many years been the local people that live in the area and have seen firsthand the impacts of those open net-cage operations - both aboriginal and non-aboriginal. Those predatory ENGOS like the SSS have recently preyed also upon some of those locals; where the locals don't have the experience with predatory ENGOs and lack the media attention and in desperation sometimes go along with groups like the SSS since they need allies. It is a Faustian bargain that they did not know they were even making. The East Coast folks largely already know better - esp. w the SSS and their involvement w the seal hunt.

In addition to locals - supportive & rational ENGOS that focus on the health of wild salmon - The Atlantic Salmon Federation on the Atlantic Coast and The Pacific Salmon Foundation on the Pacific Coast - also have learned the impacts of the open net-cage technology over many years of experience and have in recent years come out swinging against this technology while involving themselves in the science that DFO and the industry avoid like the plague:

These 2 almost twin organizations did not start out as "anti" open net-cage aquaculture groups - but rather saw the evidence of the harm as the years went by and stepped in to provide leadership and often fill that research void - as have many community-based members and groups - often containing those who even previously worked the industry.

Don't believe the industry PR spin....

Last edited:
Don't believe the industry PR spin....

Ya, don't even consider it. Just stick your head in the sand.

This is what the anti's want you to do. This level of thinking will not serve the sport fishing sector very well because when it is under the gun, NGO groups promote this level of thought provoking ideology. They tell their supporters not to even consider or view the defendants opinions and it get ignored and sold as spin. Well done. Don't try to tell me this isn't happening to the sport sector, every one here see's it.

From the article:
“The FNLC refutes this, as Indigenous Peoples are the proper title holders and the original caretakers and stewards of our respective traditional territories. The FNLC urges Mowi Canada West Inc, Cermaq Canada Ltd and Grieg Seafood BC Ltd to exercise proactive conservation-based actions and work with First Nations in re-building Pacific salmon stocks,” a statement reads.

If this were the case, why were salmon farmers left out of the process that lead to the decision to remove those farms?

The best place to validate and vet unsubstantiated claims by any proponent is thru an environmental assessment process - something this industry has successfully lobbied for and successfully received thru back door tactic agreements made thru their protector & prmoter - DFO.

All these many years and still not performing risk assessment and management. And now that they are finally loosing the PR war we are supposed to see them as poor corporate victims?

Ya - sorry that "feeling sorry for you" boat sailed many years ago when the industry demonstrated their utter disrespect and disdain for those critiques and instead attacked the messenger rather than getting thier own house in order. It's long overdue. The open net-cage technology is not sustainable.

Back