Concerns about herring kills at B.C. fish farms

Should one band that happens to have an aquaculture operation in their territory, have veto power over the hundreds of other bands up and down the coast that rely on wild runs of salmon?
That is EXACTLY the question to ask - and get answered.
And it is EXACTLY the question DFO and the industry DO NOT want answered in a court.
And that is EXACTLY why this happened: https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/news/push-north-fish-farms-blocked

And that is why there is a moratorium on the North Coast. Nobody is going to court.

Actually the opposite was shown.
Thanks I stand corrected
No more than a minimal risk came out due to later studies because of the inquiry, cohen saying no silver bullet as a cause, and that his findings were the #1 issue was warming waters and climate change.

Thanks I stand corrected
No more than a minimal risk came out due to later studies because of the inquiry, cohen saying no silver bullet as a cause, and that his findings were the #1 issue was warming waters and climate change.
Sure, if that's your interpretation.

Unfortunately, in 2020 DFO assessed no more than minimal risk to Fraser sockeye from Discovery Islands Fish Farms.
Most of us do not believe that but their research is convenient for the FF lobby.
This opens the way for the Minister to be in compliance with the Cohen report and reissue FF licenses.
Hopefully she is persuaded not to.

When in doubt about what Cohen did/did not say - go back to the source. As I mentioned previously on p. 139, post #2764: https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/aquaculture-improving.76888/page-139#post-1146475

Cohen said this:
Recommendation 17 - The Department of Fisheries and Oceans should apply revised siting criteria to all licensed salmon farm sites. Farms that no longer comply with siting criteria should be promptly removed or relocated to sites that comply with current siting criteria. Salmon farms along the sockeye migration route in the Discovery Islands have the potential to introduce exotic diseases and to exacerbate endemic diseases which can have a negative impact on Fraser River sockeye. Disease can cause significant population declines, and, in some situations – for example, if a disease were to wipe out a vulnerable stock of Fraser River sockeye – such effects could be irreversible. I therefore conclude that the potential harm posed by salmon farms to Fraser River sockeye salmon is serious or irreversible.

Actually the farms in that area have strong FN support from the hereditary chiefs and agreements are in place. Not sure of FN support for CA which seems to oppose any harvesting of any resources.
Only problem is all the other FF's that rely on wild salmon. All those along the rivers and streams in BC. They want the farms stopped.
Mmmm, Was peer reviewed scientific evidence not provided during the Cohen inquiry that said ff posed no more than a minimal risk?
Kinda like everything we as humans do?

People should be careful of what we wish for.
Are you kidding?
It was so bad he revisited the issue. I believe he called for immediate shut down until the scientific proof was in and not from FF or their employees'.

ALL scientific proof now shows the FF knowing lied about the ISA and PRV viruses, sea lice infestations, mortality rates on their farms, escapements, all the antibiotics used and drugs to make red meat. My brother used to mix the antibiotics into the feed for FishFarms, not by the cup, by kilograms and liters.

If so great why is the greediest country in the world have a BAN on them? Outlawed in the US.

Back