Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

and the industry's PR teams will be burning the midnite oil trying to find a way to discredit the findings to continue business as usual instead of admitting the open net-cage technology is flawed and ineffective as far as separating effects, risks and consequences to the wild stocks.
It looks like the Minister made the right call on the DI farms after all.

interesting that they also note in that article that Don Noakes submitted his Oceans of Opportunity report last year. Don was at one time the head of the aquaculture section of PBS Nanaimo but was given - as some claim - a golden handshake after a bad interview. Don also didn't want Volpe doing any research critical of aquaculture escapees: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/bc-fish-study-worthless-official-says/article18426639/
Other than claiming via scale observations on a small number of juvenile fish, that the Atlantic salmon in Amor De Cosmos were progeny of escaped aquaculture stock - what defensible scientific work did Volpe complete?

As far as I know there have been no repeated sightings or captures of Atlantics in that system, there have been no genetic comparisons made between those fish and any cultured stocks.

If Atlantics were colonizing systems in B.C. from aquaculture stocks it would be relatively easy to show using todays technology.

Despite Volpe et. al. making claims to the contrary, I do not know of any instance where Atlantic salmon have colonized a river system outside of their natural historic range anywhere in the world.

on a totally unrelated topic - didn't Clayoquot Kid got banned some time back?

Did anyone else notice that since the breaking PRv news a week or 2 ago - the industry PR people have been burning the midnite oil trying to deflect and downplay the news?

Last edited:

on a totally unrelated topic - didn't Clayoquot Kid got banned some time back?

Did anyone else notice that since the breaking PRv news a week or 2 ago - the industry PR people have been burning the midnite oil trying to deflect and downplay the news?
Is there anything in that that shows evidence of where Atlantic salmon have established a population outside of their natural historical range?

I'm just asking for an example of, where after pushing half a century of farming, there has been Atlantic salmon "stocked" by aquaculture outside of the Atlantic Ocean via escapes.

Not saying won't ever happen, just asking if you know whether it actually has.

Totally unrelated topic - Don't you hate it when people hide behind screen names and don't answer questions?

I haven't worked in aquaculture for more than 2 years, if you want to see what I've been up to look on Page 4 of June's Island Fisherman Magazine.

p. 928: "To our knowledge, the only established populations of Atlantic Salmon in South America are in Argentina, and they are found only in lakes and rivers as resident (non-migratory) populations (MacCrimmon and Gots 1979; Stewart 1980; Pascual and Ciancio 2007)"

So, have any Atlantics from closed containment facilities escaped and interbreed w local Atlantics?

Is there anything in that that shows evidence of where Atlantic salmon have established a population outside of their natural historical range?

I'm just asking for an example of, where after pushing half a century of farming, there has been Atlantic salmon "stocked" by aquaculture outside of the Atlantic Ocean via escapes.

Not saying won't ever happen, just asking if you know whether it actually has.

Totally unrelated topic - Don't you hate it when people hide behind screen names and don't answer questions?

I haven't worked in aquaculture for more than 2 years, if you want to see what I've been up to look on Page 4 of June's Island Fisherman Magazine.
So I see we have a new to the forum guy defending Fish Farms.
Tell me, you seem to be very knowledgable,
In your opinion, do Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease kill wild salmon.
Would wild salmon be better off if Fish Farms were put on dryland?

p. 928: "To our knowledge, the only established populations of Atlantic Salmon in South America are in Argentina, and they are found only in lakes and rivers as resident (non-migratory) populations (MacCrimmon and Gots 1979; Stewart 1980; Pascual and Ciancio 2007)"

So, have any Atlantics from closed containment facilities escaped and interbreed w local Atlantics?
"The success of Oncorhynchus mykiss and Salmo trutta seems to be influenced by a context-specific combination of their phenotypic plasticity, low ecosystem resistance, and propagule pressure. These well-established invaders may limit the success of subsequently introduced salmonids, with the possible exception of O. tshawytscha, which has a short freshwater residency and limited spatial overlap with trout. Although propagule pressure is high for O. kisutch and S. salar due to their intensive use in aquaculture, their lack of success in Chile may be explained by environmental resistance, including earlier spawning times than in their native ranges, and interactions with previously established and resident Rainbow Trout. Other salmonids have also failed to establish, and they exhibit a suite of ecological traits, environmental resistance, and limited propagule pressure that are variably associated with their lack of success."

"To our knowledge, the only established populations of Atlantic Salmon in South America are in Argentina, and they are found only in lakes and rivers as resident (non-migratory) populations (MacCrimmon and Gots 1979; Stewart 1980; Pascual and Ciancio 2007)" - Point awarded to you, given the context is acknowledged.

Given that there seem to be a number of natural barriers to the propagation of certain salmonid species in areas outside their natural range, my perspective is that in ranges outside their historical norm the risk of colonization or endemic salmonid displacement by Atlantic salmon in B.C. is low.

I'm not talking about inter-breeding of wild and farmed Atlantic stock, or about any other salmonid - My point relates directly to salmon aquaculture in B.C. and whether the constant assertion of risk, hyperbole, and ever present alarmism over culturing Atlantic salmon is warranted in terms of (ever diminishing) escape risks.

That's the lane - try to stay in it.

Thank goodness you gave-up defending the open net-pen industry 2 years ago, james. good on you.

Actually the "lane" we are in is that the open net-pen technology has no ability to mitigate or even stop the transmission of parasites and diseases from farmed fish to wild stocks. Always been that way and always will using this technology verses closed containment. The latest news and science on the transmission of PRv is yet but another nail in the coffin of how this industry currently operates.

I understand that since the foreign-owned multinational corporations that control the industry don't currently pay for sewerage removal, pumping and real estate using the outdated open net-pen technology - they wouldn't want to switch to closed containment.

So better ignore all science that proves the fact that there are substantial risks and impacts to wild stocks and narrow the lane on that discussion. Good luck driving in your myopic lane by yourselves, industry. The World has moved on. You are the only ones not understanding that reality.

Last edited:
Speaking of Tofino area fish farming here is last years results: But I guess you are already familiar with these results, james - but just haven't posted them yet.saranac.jpgsea lice tofino.jpg

Last edited:
Dont ya all just hate "foreign-owned multinational corporations "
....unless your getting $$ from them to argue for or against something...goes both ways

Back