Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

how come there are no Fish Farms in Barkley Sound?
no operating farms currently, GF. If I were to speculate - I would offer poor roads and poor WQ, and inadequate Maximum Allowable Biomass in the current Aquaculture Licenses as potential factors they are not being used currently.

Having said that - both wild and Robertson Creek Hatchery Chinook smolts end up in Clayoquot Sound around the farms nearer the entrance there. WCVI wild Chinook are tanked, and Robertson Creek are kept high artiFISHially high. Now reread the latest CJFAS article (post #2586) about the effects of PRv on Chinook.

no operating farms currently, GF. If I were to speculate - I would offer poor roads and poor WQ, and inadequate Maximum Allowable Biomass in the current Aquaculture Licenses as potential factors they are not being used currently.

Having said that - both wild and Robertson Creek Hatchery Chinook smolts end up in Clayoquot Sound around the farms nearer the entrance there. WCVI wild Chinook are tanked, and Robertson Creek are kept high artiFISHially high. Now reread the latest CJFAS article (post #2586) about the effects of PRv on Chinook.
Oh Gee...and I thought it was because all the fishers who frequent Barkley Sound and the Alberni Canel would raise holy hell if the Robertson Creek returns were to decline. Maybe even more organized protests with more support than the Clayoquot people who have found Fish Farms have resulted in serious declines in their fishery due to Fish Farms

Oh Gee...and I thought it was because all the fishers who frequent Barkley Sound and the Alberni Canel would raise holy hell if the Robertson Creek returns were to decline. Maybe even more organized protests with more support than the Clayoquot people who have found Fish Farms have resulted in serious declines in their fishery due to Fish Farms
Even tho you may be joking or being sarcastic - the mandarins/minor royalty in DFO's Aquaculture Branch have proven again and again tone death to any resistance or opposition or even inconvenient science and always have done what they want to do - protect & promote the ONP FF Industry. It seems the courts are the only way to force them to listen & respond to protect wild stocks - not protests.

Last edited:
2022 marks steady progress toward getting fish farms off the B.C. coast

2022 marks steady progress toward getting fish farms off the B.C. coast (watershedwatch.ca)
It’s up to the First Nations at this point. Do they want wild salmon as time immemorial or a few bucks from fish farms. DFO and federal government is so totally addicted to the spoils of special interest lobbyists that they can’t see themselves doing the right thing and get foreign fish out of open net cages and fight for the well being of Wild Salmon.
Hopefully they can get a message from Washington States recent action in this regard.

Back