300k boat for 200k

Well guys, it looks like I have a lot to think about. I wants a boat that will do it all… and
A 26 commander will do it all and is small enough to slap her on a trailer 🤣😭.
Any decent twin outboards nowadays are going to cost me big…and I will always be comparing it to my coulda shoulda woulda commander.
I love the idea of a trawler but I’m a lil worried at one point I’m going to want to go faster…but then again anything faster that size will come with a enormous fuel bill.
Any boat 35’ plus I’d love to get with assumable moorage, I really don’t feel like getting stuck with moorage in the north arm with all that current and tight slips.
There’s a few absolutely gorgeous boats out there with inboards that really meet all my needs right now except going fast.
I’m not scared of I/O, I’m scared of no parts availability… if can have spare of everything I would really think about the older 92 commander.
I’m not really sure getting something under 100k is a good idea for me because there might be a chance I will end up with 3 boats and that would just be shhtupid in every way possible way and my wife would kill me paying insurance, maintenance and working on 3 boats.
The 2005 plus commander 30 is a beast and checks off ALL the boxes but is a bit too much for my budget at over 200k.

…. The search continues, will check with Morley if he has any insight on some 30’s that might be coming up for sale

If fishing is your primary usage for the smaller trailerable boat, why don’t you buy a fibreglass boat in the 23-25’ size with an outboard, sell the C26 and buy the newer C30? Yes, more money for the newer commander but then you get to enjoy a really nice and well-made boat at a relatively lower ownership cost, compared to keeping your C26 and adding a bigger but older cruiser. Just my 2c. Good luck with your search.

I do have access to a 25 KF I can use anytime I want to, but that’s a boat kinda just for myself and a couple buddies to fish.
Doesn’t really make sense for me to get a boat like that, but I don’t really like using it, it’s just not the same using some else’s boat…. It takes me a day to set it up how I want 🤣. And I keeping hitting my forehead on that stupid door frame

Last edited:
My 2 cents, not thats its worth even that but.

We see time again on here boats and the expense that goes with them, especially the larger boats. Look at your 26, so much time and money put in and it may never get done. Never mind the investment and possibly a fraction of the return. Sorry RC, but look at RC he seems to be spending a lot of time and money on his rig to keep it operational. Why don’t you consider something smaller more mobile but next to new or even new. Yes expensive up front but you know what you have and in 10 years probably cheaper and if you do it right if you do want to get out of it in 10 years you will lose very little money. Those older boats are literally holes in the water to throw money in. Your a business man, you understand investment and return, apply those principles to this purchase and you know in the long run its the smart thing to do.

If it were me and I was looking for a 300k boat I would be looking at 300k boats.

We see time again on here boats and the expense that goes with them, especially the larger boats. Look at your 26, so much time and money put in and it may never get done. Never mind the investment and possibly a fraction of the return. Sorry RC, but look at RC he seems to be spending a lot of time and money on his rig to keep it operational. Why don’t you consider something smaller more mobile but next to new or even new. Yes expensive up front but you know what you have and in 10 years probably cheaper and if you do it right if you do want to get out of it in 10 years you will lose very little money. Those older boats are literally holes in the water to throw money in. Your a business man, you understand investment and return, apply those principles to this purchase and you know in the long run its the smart thing to do.

If it were me and I was looking for a 300k boat I would be looking at 300k boats.
I wish I would have had that advice 4 years ago. Because 300k boats then, are now 500k boats. The hardest part of all of this, is how much MORE a 30 is in comfort and enjoyment. It's basically going from a tent trailer to a full blown motorhome. Overnighter to comfortable living for weeks or even months. To get that for only 100k is just so tempting

Last edited:

Buying my thunderjet new was one of the best things I did, didn’t have time or want to F around with something old at the time. I paid 100K all in with goodies and taxes in 2015 and that boat has never let me down, beat the crap out of me…depending on water conditions, that’s about it.
I started building the commander because of one reason… I was very very very bored and unhappy at my shop, with no time for anything and a feeling of being “stuck”
This commander brought a whole different atmosphere and feeling in that shop, all of a sudden I was happy coming into work everyday, the quality and cleanliness of my work by my guys improved as they watched me work on my boat. I got grease on my boat in may, pissed me off and cleared the shop…
Never did I get grease around my boat again.
I started wearing boots with white soles to remind everyone I better not step in grease.
Now with my shop looking spectacular I realized I can charge a lot more for my work and my hourly rate went up significantly…
I know the commander cost me a lot but man was it fun…and much needed at the time.

100 percent agree, should change the thread to 200K boat for 200

I really looked hard into a brand new boat,
The only thing remotely close enough to my needs and price range is a 24 Cutwater at 225K all in after taxes.
I know a guy that has one, he carries a “Swiss Army knife” in every pocket and every drawer.
His advice was don’t buy a new one because you either be going to PA for warranty work for the first couple years, or replacing everything yourself. After he mentioned buying a sea keeper for that 24 🤣 I knew that wasn’t the boat for me. It’s also small, skinny, good for you and the wife, but that’s it. But at the end of the day he’s on the water all the time and seems happy with it. Even Took it off shore factory equipped.

Things change, I just didn’t know much they would, my kids grew almost a foot since I started building the commander. Add a dog thats 100lbs plus. And all of a sudden a 30 foot boat is min for my needs.

100 percent agree, should change the thread to 200K boat for 200

I really looked hard into a brand new boat,
The only thing remotely close enough to my needs and price range is a 24 Cutwater at 225K all in after taxes.
I know a guy that has one, he carries a “Swiss Army knife” in every pocket and every drawer.
His advice was don’t buy a new one because you either be going to PA for warranty work for the first couple years, or replacing everything yourself. After he mentioned buying a sea keeper for that 24 🤣 I knew that wasn’t the boat for me. It’s also small, skinny, good for you and the wife, but that’s it. But at the end of the day he’s on the water all the time and seems happy with it. Even Took it off shore factory equipped.
I looked at a Jeanneau 895 and same deal. Almost awesome, but water in every cubby and hold. Being a mostly gel coat interior, you didn't see the water stains as much as the cutwaters I looked at.

Everything on the Cutwater is was facked,
Wipers don’t work properly, keep falling off, don’t swipe properly, plumbing for heat is facked, doesn’t clear windows, sh**er constantly smells, every time u move in that boat you’re rubbing yourself again your buddy 🤣, loaded drives like crap, dry rides like crap, bow steers, heater not working because they installed the diesel fill tube incorrectly making a air pocket in the tube, every screw is coming loose and the worst is he can’t even tighten them because they inserts are spinning inside… but hey, he’s on the water all the time…
I think we're just jealous.

Back