300k boat for 200k

I have always dreamed of a 30 commander, it’s a bit to bad the diesels and drive combo seem to be such a maintenance problem. Gets expensive and so much down time

A good friend is looking at getting his first boat, a cruiser/some fishing for himself and his wife + dog. Not a huge budget, but they want something to comfortably cruise our inside waters, with maybe the odd trip to Barkley. He would love a Commander 30, but the one's he would want are outside his price range.

While I'm not a huge fan, and I'll have to maintain it. I have suggested something like this:

There's a boat out there for everyone's budget and taste. Important thing is getting out there, we live in such an incredible place.
I’m not even going to show my wife this one,
I already made the mistake of taking them on a 4588

So ranger tug is same quality as cut water? That’s to bad, the ranger tugs layouts are perfect for my needs and likes. I have a 2007 2359 trophy are you familiar with the build quality I’m wondering how it would compare to ranger tug. I’m pretty happy with the quality of my trophy, size wise a little more would be nice. 30 commander is a dream boat of mine but a little big. Size wise and budget wise.
I pulled this off another site. They are one in the same.

"Ranger Tugs are designed and built by hand in the USA to offer the best in value, performance, and fun. Whether you’re cruising, fishing, or just relaxing onboard, you will appreciate the comfort, safety, and community that Ranger Tugs has become known for. Every Ranger Tug is trailerable, bringing distant shores within reach. Ranger Tugs was established in 1958 in Kent, Wash. Fluid Motion, the builder of Ranger Tugs and Cutwater Boats has 6 factories in the state of WA where all the boats are built. Ranger Tugs offer a fuel-efficient, maneuverable, seaworthy and well-equipped design from the 23-foot Yamaha outboard powered R-23, to our 31-foot Volvo diesel powered family cruiser."

Again🤣

If anyone wants to see a 35foot boat with a single rudder turn on a dime I'd be happy to show you and save the argument

No argument that you can find a 35 single rudder that will turn at 1.5mph. That ain't the 36 Lindell though.

To your point - I even owned a single rudder boat that turns well at low speed. My single rudder 485 American Tug turned great (on a dime). Of course it did - it was designed to travel at 8 knots and the rudder was designed as low speeds as such. A massive rudder at low speed will turn the boat. However a high speed design boat is a different story. Smaller rudders for less drag and therefore less effective at 1.5mph-2.5mph trolling speed. Example;

My twin engine Tiara 4200 Open with trolling valves didn't turn worth a crap at 1.5mph trolling speed because the rudders were designed to provide turning authority with 26 knots of water passing over them. You just need the right tool for the job.

I'm sure you can show me a 35 foot single rudder that turns, just as I can show you a 36 Lindell or a 42 Tiara that won't turn well with rudders at 1.5mph.

Cheers.

Last edited:
No argument that you can find a 35 single rudder that will turn at 1.5mph.

I even owned a single rudder boat that turns well at low speed. Pretty sure you fixed a hatch on it for me. My single rudder 485 American Tug turned great (on a dime). Of course it did - it was designed to travel at 8 knots and the rudder was designed as low speeds as such. A massive rudder at low speed will turn the boat. However a high speed design boat is a different story. Smaller rudders for less drag and therefore less effective at 1.5mph-2.5mph trolling speed. Example;

My twin engine Tiara 4200 Open with trolling valves didn't turn worth a crap at 1.5mph trolling speed because the rudders were designed to provide turning authority with 26 knots of water passing over them. You just need the right tool for the job.

I'm sure you can show me a 35 foot single rudder that turns, just as I can show you a 36 Lindell or a 42 Tiara that won't turn well with rudders at 1.5mph.

Cheers.
How do you like your 485? Going to do a factory tour this summer. The American Tugs look like really well built boats. In the running for a retirement cruiser. Wife really likes 20+ knots, but also loves the interior of the 485.

No argument that you can find a 35 single rudder that will turn at 1.5mph. That ain't the 36 Lindell though.

To your point - I even owned a single rudder boat that turns well at low speed. Pretty sure you fixed a hatch on it for me. My single rudder 485 American Tug turned great (on a dime). Of course it did - it was designed to travel at 8 knots and the rudder was designed as low speeds as such. A massive rudder at low speed will turn the boat. However a high speed design boat is a different story. Smaller rudders for less drag and therefore less effective at 1.5mph-2.5mph trolling speed. Example;

Cheers.

Fair enough

How do you like your 485? Going to do a factory tour this summer. The American Tugs look like really well built boats. In the running for a retirement cruiser. Wife really likes 20+ knots, but also loves the interior of the 485.
It was an amazing boat. Had the Cummins QSL9 continuous duty in it (rare - most people go with the QSC540). Nice and quiet as a 2200(?) rpm motor... the sound of the water off the side of the hull was nosier than the engine noise at the helm. Tons of space. More storage than you know what to do with. I struggled to travel at 8 knots and ended up selling it. Did well on the buy/sell as they are a low production boat. Happy to discuss more in DM so we don't derail the thread.

Last edited:
Slowly doing research on our empty nester boat.( probably 5 years away still) Something we can spend a month on cruising and fishing. Cutwater is on the list of boats to research. What brings on the negative comment about them? Is this a common consensus amongst the boating community? I know Ranger tugs have been around a longtime and this is a newer line of their boats, you’d think they’d have an idea of what there doing?
We have had many different family trailers for camping/lake fishing. I found a lot of them get sales through layout and floor plan but the cookie cutter , build quality of most is terrible.
Is this the thought of Cutwater boats? They have good layouts for cruising/fishing but the (meat and potatoes) of the boat leave something to be desired?
Everyone needs to do their own research and find a boat thats right for them. I have had 4 boats. 19' Bayliner bowrider, Canmpion 602 Explorer, SeaSport 2700 and now Commander 30. Each was perfect at the time and did what I wanted to. Usually by myself or with my fishing buddy.
The Commander changed all that in that now I can take the family or friends out for a week and fish, cruise, and explorer with the dinghy. So it all depends on what you want to do and can afford. The Commander 30 probably costs 5 fold in moorage and maintenace over the trailerable SeaSport and its only 4 feet longer. I have been on many Cutwaters and Ranger Tugs at boat shows. They are very gimicky and when you walk on hatches and the floor everything flexes and creaks. I actaully wonder what it sounds like when going to weather.
I just had my boat surevyed last spring by a very well known 30 year surveyor. He had nothing but bad things to say about both Cutwater and Ranger Tug. When he retires he said thare are 2 boats he is looking at. A Nordic Tug 32 or a Commander 30. He has not decided yet if he wants to go fast or slow. I have friends that have Ranger Tugs and they get the job done. There is a very good community too called Tug Nuts.
There is a 29 Ranger Tug near me in the Marina. He has had constant leaks in his roof windows. I counted and there are 11 hatches and windows in the roof. The water travels along the headliner and he can't figure out where it is coming from.
I dont disagree with shafts. Less maintenace but also less efficient and needs more horsepower.
Like Corbin said the main point is to get on the water and enjoy what BC has to offer.

To your point - I even owned a single rudder boat that turns well at low speed. My single rudder 485 American Tug turned great (on a dime). Of course it did - it was designed to travel at 8 knots and the rudder was designed as low speeds as such. A massive rudder at low speed will turn the boat. However a high speed design boat is a different story. Smaller rudders for less drag and therefore less effective at 1.5mph-2.5mph trolling speed. Example;

Cheers.
How did you like the 485 American Tug? The 435 and 485 are 2 boats I am intersted if I move up and want to go slower.
I was on 2 485's at the Seattle Boat show.
It woud be a retirement boat for me

Everyone needs to do their own research and find a boat thats right for them. I have had 4 boats. 19' Bayliner bowrider, Canmpion 602 Explorer, SeaSport 2700 and now Commander 30. Each was perfect at the time and did what I wanted to. Usually by myself or with my fishing buddy.
The Commander changed all that in that now I can take the family or friends out for a week and fish, cruise, and explorer with the dinghy. So it all depends on what you want to do and can afford. The Commander 30 probably costs 5 fold in moorage and maintenace over the trailerable SeaSport and its only 4 feet longer. I have been on many Cutwaters and Ranger Tugs at boat shows. They are very gimicky and when you walk on hatches and the floor everything flexes and creaks. I actaully wonder what it sounds like when going to weather.
I just had my boat surevyed last spring by a very well known 30 year surveyor. He had nothing but bad things to say about both Cutwater and Ranger Tug. When he retires he said thare are 2 boats he is looking at. A Nordic Tug 32 or a Commander 30. He has not decided yet if he wants to go fast or slow. I have friends that have Ranger Tugs and they get the job done. There is a very good community too called Tug Nuts.
There is a 29 Ranger Tug near me in the Marina. He has had constant leaks in his roof windows. I counted and there are 11 hatches and windows in the roof. The water travels along the headliner and he can't figure out where it is coming from.
I dont disagree with shafts. Less maintenace but also less efficient and needs more horsepower.
Like Corbin said the main point is to get on the water and enjoy what BC has to offer.
5 fold? Yikes! Thanks for the experience share

It was an amazing boat. Had the Cummins QSL9 continuous duty in it (rare - most people go with the QSC540). Nice and quiet as a 2200(?) rpm motor... the sound of the water off the side of the hull was nosier than the engine noise at the helm. Tons of space. More storage than you know what to do with. I struggled to travel at 8 knots and ended up selling it. Did well on the buy/sell as they are a low production boat. Happy to discuss more in DM so we don't derail the thread.
Thanks for that. Still in the dream category, and the speed is a significant issue for us. I know where to reach out if things change, thanks again.

This is nice! @Sttr
Or this
Or

Last edited:
I'm wondering about how people who buy new Ranger Tugs (or any new fibreglass boat) deal with the off gassing, when I was at the Seattle Boat Show I got a headache after going down below on the two ranger tugs, the off gassing seemed excessive.

Does that eventually clear up?

Buying used seems like a better option if it takes a few years to get rid of the smell.

This is nice! @Sttr
Or this
Or
Wow all those are beauties 😍
How would you tow, launch, retrieve a boat with shafts comfortably ? Would that be a headache or just take some skillz

Tick, tick. Nice hull but I wouldn't value the engines past What they give you on trade. You know which side of the fence I stand. At least the 350s don't knuckle and dime you to death, they mostly just detonate.

I do find the 330 attractive. I get the 350s as the 300s cruise at 4500 plus revs which seams exorbitant to me but the forums down south show guys doing it for years and getting good life. There's a big Grady with Zuk tripps that visits Ukee. That seems like the ticket if you can chew down the power bill. Believe it's a 330.

Love our 330 , just re powered with new verado 300’s . Easily could have flipped it and got a new model , but we absolutely love how this thing fishes . with the new power and electronics it’s got a few more seasons in it before we’re into something new .

Wow all those are beauties 😍
How would you tow, launch, retrieve a boat with shafts comfortably ? Would that be a headache or just take some skillz
I wouldn't say a headache, more something to get used to with confidence.
Obviously tide levels and a proper trailer are a concern but pretty common. Boat movers do it all the time.

Back