300k boat for 200k

Just speaking freely l, as a mechanic and boat builder personnel etc etc. I find the complications in all of those assemblies just not nice. Whether it's bravo or DP, they all have their engineering how do you say it?

Last edited:
Better power on this Riv I think? 740hp is reasonable? Shipping from Cali shouldn’t be too expensive and I think we could even rent a trailer from the place in Seattle that I bought my boat at, that your new truck could almost pull or we could find a dually to borrow. I could be the pilot truck with my camper and we can do a quick offshore trip! https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1999-riviera-34-8159528/

I like that boat house kept commander, just wish it had shafts and basics like autopilot and solar or generator at that price. That is a sweet dingy, my brother can get on plane and he is over 200 on his.

Good luck with your search. I’m off to swap laundry around. Son puked twice so lots of time to browse boats between the moments of chaos. Buy the best boat you can comfortably afford, if/once you have kids you won't have time to fix it up or the money!
Wow! this one is a beauty!
I might have to do some laundry after looking at this one mmmmmm

The trawler is beautiful inside for its age.
That mainship has been for sale for a while now, couple years of I’m not mistaken
I wouldn’t touch a trawler without twins. Can you imagine that motor dying thru Porlier. At least I think that’s a single power boat.

Better power on this Riv I think? 740hp is reasonable? Shipping from Cali shouldn’t be too expensive and I think we could even rent a trailer from the place in Seattle that I bought my boat at, that your new truck could almost pull or we could find a dually to borrow. I could be the pilot truck with my camper and we can do a quick offshore trip! https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1999-riviera-34-8159528/

I like that boat house kept commander, just wish it had shafts and basics like autopilot and solar or generator at that price. That is a sweet dingy, my brother can get on plane and he is over 200 on his.

Good luck with your search. I’m off to swap laundry around. Son puked twice so lots of time to browse boats between the moments of chaos. Buy the best boat you can comfortably afford, if/once you have kids you won't have time to fix it up or the money!
Let’s go get this one!!!!!!

While the Grady is a very nice boat, it's not a family cruiser. You need somewhere to put a dinghy, and in our climate you want to be able to sit in a nice warm/dry cabin and still have a 360-degree view. As Sir Reel mentioned, there really are few boats out there that fit the bill. If someone gave me a brand new Cutwater 30, it would be for sale the next day, at a discount.
Slowly doing research on our empty nester boat.( probably 5 years away still) Something we can spend a month on cruising and fishing. Cutwater is on the list of boats to research. What brings on the negative comment about them? Is this a common consensus amongst the boating community? I know Ranger tugs have been around a longtime and this is a newer line of their boats, you’d think they’d have an idea of what there doing?
We have had many different family trailers for camping/lake fishing. I found a lot of them get sales through layout and floor plan but the cookie cutter , build quality of most is terrible.
Is this the thought of Cutwater boats? They have good layouts for cruising/fishing but the (meat and potatoes) of the boat leave something to be desired?

Have you put a wanted ad up? 200k including taxes and trailer, with 2015 and up engines kind of thing? Have you made an offers in the last few months? It looks like things are sitting and dropping a bit. I figure anyone who shows up with your or Sttr’s budget should find eager sellers willing to move on price.
All the boats I’ve looked at are south of the border. I haven’t made any offers yet. But, prices seem to be dropping as you’ll see most boats after a month or two adjust pricing down. Most of what I’ve looked at is $129-$149K USD Range. I won’t buy from a private seller. Too risky in the US When you spending that kinda cash. There always seems to be something off on most boats I’ve found. I need a bow thruster, newer power, gen set, heat, Garmin newer electronics and a 2004-07 hull minimum….and immaculate. There’s tons of beat up junk amd pigs with lipstick. I’ve only found one Marlin in two years that was perfect. It sold in a week for $129K and was in Connecticut. I’m not in a panic, I’ve got a boat and have my name in for a 30 ft slip at my marina. Patience. Good luck STTR. Looks like we need different boats.

Slowly doing research on our empty nester boat.( probably 5 years away still) Something we can spend a month on cruising and fishing. Cutwater is on the list of boats to research. What brings on the negative comment about them? Is this a common consensus amongst the boating community? I know Ranger tugs have been around a longtime and this is a newer line of their boats, you’d think they’d have an idea of what there doing?
We have had many different family trailers for camping/lake fishing. I found a lot of them get sales through layout and floor plan but the cookie cutter , build quality of most is terrible.
Is this the thought of Cutwater boats? They have good layouts for cruising/fishing but the (meat and potatoes) of the boat leave something to be desired?
Just an opinion, we all have them. Eons ago, I was a fiberglasser at Canoe Cove Manufacturing, for the 40 years since then I have owned and worked on mine and friends boats. I think I have a pretty good idea of how they should go together, but still learning. If you're at a boat show and you see some guy up to his waste inside a hatch/hole in a boat, it might be me. I'm much more interested in how the boat is constructed and systems integrated than the shiny bits. Like shiny bits too, quiet Sir Reel!

The Cutwater/Ranger tug look good, from a distance. They try and put a larger boat into a smaller footprint. You have to flip this, twist that, turn this to get, this. I refer to them as Swiss Army Knives, and not in a good way. The material and build quality are poor, you just have to know what you're looking for. A guy just down the dock had a Cutwater 30 command bridge. He was checking out my Commander and was surprised that the decks don't flex. He said all his decks and the command bridge tincan, he was starting to get lots of leaks. At the last Seattle boat show I found that the build quality of these two boats has actually deteriorated. I assume they are having trouble getting good people, just like everyone else I suppose. The two local shipyards/marine shops I deal with have opposite philosophies on these boats. One won't work on them, they say odds are while trying to fix one thing they will break something else. The other sees them as cash cows, they'll take them all.

My 2 cents.

A good friend is looking at getting his first boat, a cruiser/some fishing for himself and his wife + dog. Not a huge budget, but they want something to comfortably cruise our inside waters, with maybe the odd trip to Barkley. He would love a Commander 30, but the one's he would want are outside his price range.

While I'm not a huge fan, and I'll have to maintain it. I have suggested something like this:

There's a boat out there for everyone's budget and taste. Important thing is getting out there, we live in such an incredible place.

Might want to see a Lindell 36. Some came with twin Cummins 6BTA 370hp on shafts. Large fuel capacity. Built in Anacortes area for our PACNW conditions. A bit tough to fish in tight since it's a shaft / rudder boat and the turning effectiveness of the rudders isn't great at trolling speeds... but you'll get your low maintenance solution with range and parts availability everywhere. The usually sell in the $150k range.

Just an opinion, we all have them. Eons ago, I was a fiberglasser at Canoe Cove Manufacturing, for the 40 years since then I have owned and worked on mine and friends boats. I think I have a pretty good idea of how they should go together, but still learning. If you're at a boat show and you see some guy up to his waste inside a hatch/hole in a boat, it might be me. I'm much more interested in how the boat is constructed and systems integrated than the shiny bits. Like shiny bits too, quiet Sir Reel!

The Cutwater/Ranger tug look good, from a distance. They try and put a larger boat into a smaller footprint. You have to flip this, twist that, turn this to get, this. I refer to them as Swiss Army Knives, and not in a good way. The material and build quality are poor, you just have to know what you're looking for. A guy just down the dock had a Cutwater 30 command bridge. He was checking out my Commander and was surprised that the decks don't flex. He said all his decks and the command bridge tincan, he was starting to get lots of leaks. At the last Seattle boat show I found that the build quality of these two boats has actually deteriorated. I assume they are having trouble getting good people, just like everyone else I suppose. The two local shipyards/marine shops I deal with have opposite philosophies on these boats. One won't work on them, they say odds are while trying to fix one thing they will break something else. The other sees them as cash cows, they'll take them all.

My 2 cents.
So ranger tug is same quality as cut water? That’s to bad, the ranger tugs layouts are perfect for my needs and likes. I have a 2007 2359 trophy are you familiar with the build quality I’m wondering how it would compare to ranger tug. I’m pretty happy with the quality of my trophy, size wise a little more would be nice. 30 commander is a dream boat of mine but a little big. Size wise and budget wise.

Might want to see a Lindell 36. Some came with twin Cummins 6BTA 370hp on shafts. Large fuel capacity. Built in Anacortes area for our PACNW conditions. A bit tough to fish in tight since it's a shaft / rudder boat and the turning effectiveness of the rudders isn't great at trolling speeds... but you'll get your low maintenance solution with range and parts availability everywhere. The usually sell in the $150k range.
Again🤣

If anyone wants to see a 35foot boat with a single rudder turn on a dime I'd be happy to show you and save the argument

Back