300k boat for 200k

11' @cpt.ahab said

1) 8'6" - 10' you need an overwidth permit issued by ICBC, as someone has said earlier, its about $300 a year. No signs are required just 12" flags on the widest part of the load
2) 10' - 11' same as above but "wide Load " signs are required in additionon rear of trailer
3) over 11' same as above but pilot car is required in addition.

Also , I don't know the weight of your rig, all up, but if you are towing a trailer over 4600Kg ( 10,000lbs) you are required to have a heavy trailer endoresment on your class 5 licence, or a class 3 drivers licence.

Those are the laws, if you want to CYA. Like others have said on here many, many tow without proper licencing and coverage. If an accident occurs you or I, or any other member towing here will most likey not be the problem, it,ll be the dude zipping around in the red sportscar, but then the s**t will hit the fan cause you are not adequetly licensed. Here are the links; take the time and do it right...Just my 2cents...Ahab

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/tps/index.htm

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/towingrv

Is it just me or does that look f...ing scary. I know a member bought it. Hope he has been able to get the winch stand modified so the bow is braced. I've seen a 10k boat move the stand when it isn't torque down enough.
Says in the ad the trailer isn’t included. Looks like one of APM’s trailers. Probably just to drag it to the shop for servicing

11' @cpt.ahab said

1) 8'6" - 10' you need an overwidth permit issued by ICBC, as someone has said earlier, its about $300 a year. No signs are required just 12" flags on the widest part of the load
2) 10' - 11' same as above but "wide Load " signs are required in additionon rear of trailer
3) over 11' same as above but pilot car is required in addition.

Also , I don't know the weight of your rig, all up, but if you are towing a trailer over 4600Kg ( 10,000lbs) you are required to have a heavy trailer endoresment on your class 5 licence, or a class 3 drivers licence.

Those are the laws, if you want to CYA. Like others have said on here many, many tow without proper licencing and coverage. If an accident occurs you or I, or any other member towing here will most likey not be the problem, it,ll be the dude zipping around in the red sportscar, but then the s**t will hit the fan cause you are not adequetly licensed. Here are the links; take the time and do it right...Just my 2cents...Ahab

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/tps/index.htm

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/getting-licensed/towingrv
I got my heavy trailer endorsement a year and a half ago. You take a class 3 knowledge test and do a road test. The road test is a class 1 pre trip(minus air checks) and a on road test with your rig. Technically not allowed to bring and oversize load to the test. I couldn’t find a driving school in the LM who had a trailer to tow. There was one outfit in VI that did. I ended up bringing my 9’10” wide and 13’5” high rig, and nobody said anything.
Or you need a Class 1, in lieu of Class 5 with heavy trailer endorsement. Class 1 you can tow or drive anything.

That's why the 26 commander or a 10-foot beam 30-footer are a nice balance, or just send it!
I got my heavy trailer endorsement a year and a half ago. You take a class 3 knowledge test and do a road test. The road test is a class 1 pre trip(minus air checks) and a on road test with your rig. Technically not allowed to bring and oversize load to the test. I couldn’t find a driving school in the LM who had a trailer to tow. There was one outfit in VI that did. I ended up bringing my 9’10” wide and 13’5” high rig, and nobody said anything.
Or you need a Class 1, in lieu of Class 5 with heavy trailer endorsement. Class 1 you can tow or drive anything.
Great topic, on one hand the wide beam of 11’ to 13’ is so stable and appealing in a 30 to 36’ boat, on the other it’s much more cost of ownership. I’m been diving deep into my wife and i’s empty nester boat and I’m pretty sure I’m going with trailerable. Probably 30’ x 10’ beam. Don’t want to deal with moorage, plus want to spend weeks on Kootenay, Shuswap, Okanagan lakes as well as VI and surrounding areas. I have my class 1 so no issue there but getting the proper endorsement is a good idea. CVSE is cracking down a lot more this past couple years. You can get very sturdy, nice towing Tri- axle trailers for a 10,000lb boat. You definitely don’t want to be over 11’ and needing a pilot car every time you want to tow. No wrong way to go, who knows maybe I’ll win the lottery and have a Boston Whaler 405 Conquest Pilothouse moored up one day 😃

Cost of moorage just keeps going up, definitely the biggest annual expense. We are in a shed, so that's about 20% more again. That said, I can moore our boat for about 10 years for what it would cost to buy a big truck and trailer. I hate big trucks, all the parking lots just keep getting smaller! Will stick with my Tacoma and keep the boat shed.

Cost of moorage just keeps going up, definitely the biggest annual expense. We are in a shed, so that's about 20% more again. That said, I can moore our boat for about 10 years for what it would cost to buy a big truck and trailer. I hate big trucks, all the parking lots just keep getting smaller! Will stick with my Tacoma and keep the boat shed.
Already have the big truck being in civil construction, but I here ya, wife refuses to take it anywhere, trying to park a 4 door long box at the grocery store isn’t her idea of fun.😆

I hear you, thankfully a new Tacoma is way more than what I paid for my used F350. My little wife driving it and getting out blows people minds, especially with the camper on. A guy in VW gulf started lipping her off for parking perfectly between the lines but being in such a big truck. As I walked up, I leaned into his open window, “Excuse me?” I’m not intimidating but if you yell at my wife or kids I think I have a look that comes back from my old hockey days.

Trailer and truck do cost a ton, including maintenance so you are right on moorage being pretty cheap, but a haul out for maintenance is expensive too. I think my bro and I are equally in debt but he uses his moored boat more in part because his wife loves the bigger boat.

Being able to leave vic in the early AM, drive to Ukee and fish the night bite, then anchor up off the west coast is pretty sweet, but cruising that same route it awesome.

Moorage is also my biggest expense. March is always a tough month, moorage and insurance. I couldn’t go without, I feel you use your girl way more when she’s already wet.

Yup,moorage is great the older you get,no packing crap in out so thieves don't steal everything or having trailer bearings go on the road.I'm very lucky to be in a boat club with cheap moorage.I probably wouldn't own a boat if I had to trailer to a busy ramp every time I go.Becomes more work than it's worth as you get older.

Yup,moorage is great the older you get,no packing crap in out so thieves don't steal everything or having trailer bearings go on the road.I'm very lucky to be in a boat club with cheap moorage.I probably wouldn't own a boat if I had to trailer to a busy ramp every time I go.Becomes more work than it's worth as you get older.
You made that very clear when you were buying this supposed last boat was that you wanted something you could lock all your gear inside a cabin and leave it down at the docks. I agree, I have a spot on the hard for my trailer, but also keep my boat in the water, I use it so often because it’s incredibly easy to get out especially by myself.

Same here, I like having the gear down 40 mins after leaving the house and I can just hit the tide change for a couple of hours

I would love to have a slip, go out for a couple hours and be able to hit slack tide but reality is local fishing is closed half the year and moorage in the mainland is brutal, nothing is available unless it’s in the north arm or way up the south arm.
The North arm isn’t bad, close enough to bell and Bowen, just need to deal with strong currents and debris.
That said I really don’t need a slip for easy access to fishing anymore April to September, thanks DFO, I would be better off towing the boat around the island for those months
My plan for the 26 commander was to sublease a slip for a few months in the winter/spring in a better location than the Fraser. I always see a slip come up available for a few months in the winter

I moored my boat for probably 15 years up until I moved to the island. I miss moorage but trailer life isn’t so bad, it’s actually nice having the boat out of the water and in the yard to hang out and tinker with. Nice to just load everything up the night before and have it ready. Fir me I can hit both French creek or port Alberni pretty quickly.

I moored my boat for probably 15 years up until I moved to the island. I miss moorage but trailer life isn’t so bad, it’s actually nice having the boat out of the water and in the yard to hang out and tinker with. Nice to just load everything up the night before and have it ready. Fir me I can hit both French creek or port Alberni pretty quickly.
Shut yo mouth, the island sucks.😎

So besides being a sucker for a black Chevy,
I’m also a sucker for a black thunder jet.
I’m getting my thunder jet ready to go back to the dealer for some minor repairs I just don’t have time for 😭.
I know some guys say thunder jets are garbage but it’s the same guys that bash almost every boat.
I did however hear lots of good things about the thunder jet 28 pilot, mostly that it performs pretty well in the chop.
Anyone know how these ride?
So tempting to drop my thunder jet off and drive out with this one.
I know I’m all over the place with what kind of boat I want… I want them all 🤣
0A8D9E7C-1500-4DCD-9A99-C6D67F779403.jpeg

So besides being a sucker for a black Chevy,
I’m also a sucker for a black thunder jet.
I’m getting my thunder jet ready to go back to the dealer for some minor repairs I just don’t have time for 😭.
I know some guys say thunder jets are garbage but it’s the same guys that bash almost every boat.
I did however hear lots of good things about the thunder jet 28 pilot, mostly that it performs pretty well in the chop.
Anyone know how these ride?
So tempting to drop my thunder jet off and drive out with this one.
I know I’m all over the place with what kind of boat I want… I want them all 🤣
View attachment 90830
Problem solved?

Back