The Alpine Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament is coming up September 8, 2024, check out the details at the link below on SFBC, or directly on the Tournament Page! $20K first place prize, cash! Note as well that there is a Tournament Facebook page, including a draw for 2 free tickets, like the page and follow the instructions there to enter.

Derby Thread on SFBC

Alpine Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament Webpage

Admin approved.

Attachments

• 2024 Alpine Juan de Fuca FT Poster 11x17 Colour 2nd print run.jpg
    2024 Alpine Juan de Fuca FT Poster 11x17 Colour 2nd print run.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 8
BWD finally indicated a respite from the constant wind so went out today. We launched in the dark at 5:15am at Sunny shores so there would be enough water. Then we made our way down to Muir in the semi-twilight. We passed the Otter crowd as usual and put our lines down in an area devoid of boats. At 6:15am we had a hit but missed it. At 6:30am another hit and we played a fish back to the boat quite easily, but three rod lengths away it came “alive” and started to run back and forth across the boat wake and only came to the net very reluctantly. It was 73cm and weighed 12.5lb, so it was decent enough for sure. At 6:45am we netted a small 5lb clipped chinook so back he went. At 7:15am another nice hit and we again played another good fish back to the boat which my wife netted. It then promptly started to thrash madly in the net and my wife just held on. It was 77cm and went 15lb. So we were done in record time. I am not keen on C&R and besides those two fish engulfed the small herring we were using and there is no way I could do a fancy gaff release even if I wanted to. The hook was way back!

So we headed out to 300’ of water and tried for coho as we trolled back to Sooke. Released one small unclipped coho, had 3 shakers, and struck two fish that felt decent but never showed themselves before departing. Quite windy by 10am so we headed back to Sunny Shores by 10:30am where we had to wait for the tide to get out!!;)
A pic is below, without mug shot this time :)and both fish hit at 63’ in 70-90’ of water.
PXL_20240817_173557863.MP.jpg:)

Went out Friday evening for a sunset fish. Hit the trap around 5:15 and boated a 10 lb Chinook about a minute after I dropped the Anchovy to 39 ft. We thought we might be into one of those magical evening bites, but alas, it was pretty quiet overall. We saw 3 or 4 other boats net fish. We eventually worked our way to Beechy and lost a decent fish on a Bon Chovy skinny g. One other big hit on a Herring Aid skinny g just after sunset that popped the clip but didn't stick. Both those hits came between 59 and 69 feet on the rigger in about 120 fow. No fish pics, but the weather cooperated nicely and the sunset, moon rise was awesome!

20240816_195443.jpg20240816_192650.jpg20240816_200044.jpg20240816_205440.jpg

Motored out from Victoria this morning arriving at about 6:30, with a friend and his kids that have never caught a salmon. We started at the gap just before heading into possession where we immediately hooked up on a small spring (released), then we played wash the flashers for a while until the tide started to turn just after 8. For her first fish, a nice battle, and it topped out at 79 cm, and just over 16lb, turned around and went back over the same area and hooked into another fish, this time it was his turn, a good scrappy, long running, but came up smaller at 73cm and weighed in at just over 10 lbs. then it went quiet again. The wind was picking up around 10:30, so we made our way back down to the trap shack, but the tide was moving and a ton of junk in the water so we continued down to the reef, and made our way down to Beechy to play bumper boats. We did’t land any more springs, but manage several coho, but only 1 was clipped and it came in at about 6 lbs.

Called it at 1:30, all fish caught on spoons, I was running bait at 57’, but all takers were caught at 66’ and 1 at 55’ (after I switched back to a spoon.

Attachments

• IMG_4998.jpeg
    IMG_4998.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Derby day! The rangers derby to be precise…

I joined up Original and a new friend bright and early on a calm and sunny day. We had dock access near Beecher bay so that was super convenient.

Lines were in by 6 and we had some hits off and on pretty steady for the first few hours. Tubbed 2 springs under 10lbs and a few nice coho with lots of nice unclipped released. The afternoon was a bit more spotty but the hot ticket was cop car over bait. 60’s in the morning and 90’s later on.

For the record the winner was 80cm and 19.25lbs. Really close to that unicorn 20 pounder. The guy who won it was a beaut! (Some would say a legend)
IMG_3567.jpeg

We fished Otter and Muir from 5:30 to 11:45. Released an 81.5cm right away, kept a 64, 65 and 75cm. Released 2 nice wild coho another spring under 70cm (hoping for a bigger 1), lost a nice one at the boat and missed a half dozen pin poppers. All fish on bait between 40 and 70ft. Flat calm most of the morning. There were several sea lions cruising the beach at Otter.
PS: the slot limit is so stupid, we saw a bunch of people releasing oversized fish.

A late report but took a friend out on Friday and by 8:30am we had a 72 and76cm and 2 clipped coho, biggest coho 6 lbs. Also released one “over” beauty Chinook. All off of Allridge in 50-70ft on DR on spoons. Went out to 350-400ft depth off of the head and released at least a dozen coho. G Force herring aid spoon was the ticket. Was unable to find a clipped one and was surprised at how big and fat most of them were. Called it a day around noon.

Fished Otter Friday and Sat. Two totally different days. Friday was lights out had 20 springs and 5 coho. Biggest spring was 22 lbs. of the 20 only 1 smaller fish like 8lbs. Rest were 10-17 lbs. Saturday really struggled. Had 2 fish in 5 hours on the smaller size 8 and 10lbs. Then finally at Noon it turned on. Had 8 fish in an hour or so. Had a big boy on would not come to the boat kept running and running. finally let go. That Flood with the east wind was brutal. We beautiful until 10am.

Launched at 6:00am today. Headed down to Muir as BWD promised a calm day. We were first there again at 6:30am while the main “pack” hugged Otter. Strangely for the next three hours of the ebb, nothing happened and we did not get a single hit and I thought Muir was going to disappoint.:confused:

About 30 mins after the tide change we finally got a decent hit and the fish made a couple of short runs and played tug-of-war for two minutes, before suddenly departing. Very frustrating after such a long wait, especially as it was now raining quite hard. Nothing again for the next hour but we finally got another hit and brought a 66cm fish to the boat, which we kept. Put the line down again and less than 20 minutes later, as I raised the rigger a bit due to shallowing water, we got another hit. This one ran and fought like crazy. Epic battle for an old guy like me! By now several boats had joined us at Muir, and a couple watched us net a big fish. Inevitably, it was 86cm and so sadly back he had to go.:(

All went quiet again except for a couple of coho which slipped the hook, and one little chinook which went back. By noon we had again contacted a chinook about the same size as the one we kept, but he too slipped the hook. By now we were very wet and it had been a long tiring morning with only the 66cm fish to show for it and so when we got another bar-b-cue size chinook of 6lb we kept it and headed for home. Muir was still pretty busy with boats when we left at 1:00pm, as was Otter.

Saturday was not as hot as last week for us. Muir produced fish once we moved out to 125ft range and dropped gear to 90ft in the morning. Otter came on in the afternoon. Last weekend everything everything we caught was on bait. This Saturday all decent fish were caught on spoon. So if your not catching and others are... change up the gear and depth till you fine them. Some real nice size coho around for this time of year.

Derby day! The rangers derby to be precise…

I joined up Original and a new friend bright and early on a calm and sunny day. We had dock access near Beecher bay so that was super convenient.

Lines were in by 6 and we had some hits off and on pretty steady for the first few hours. Tubbed 2 springs under 10lbs and a few nice coho with lots of nice unclipped released. The afternoon was a bit more spotty but the hot ticket was cop car over bait. 60’s in the morning and 90’s later on.

For the record the winner was 80cm and 19.25lbs. Really close to that unicorn 20 pounder. The guy who won it was a beaut! (Some would say a legend)
View attachment 109549
Who’s the legend ??

Fished from 11-4pm today. It started slow between the Head and Trap. Spoons weren't producing so switched one rod over to strip. At around 2pm, we headed back to Aldridge and the bite came on. The coho kept hitting the strip but all were wild. Finally at 3:30, the spoon hooked up a 10lb spring. Some of the coho are pushing 10 lbs.

Could anybody give me an estimate for how much a thick, healthy 85 cm chinook would weigh? Had to set her free after only a quick measurement, but curious...

Back