If all you have is measurements you need the length x girth x girth dIvided by 750.
I can only do this in inches
85 cm = 33.46”
48cm = 19.29 “
So 33 x 19 x 19 Divided by 750 = 15.88 lbs
The girth can range from 16 to 25 and that can make a big difference.
33 x 23x23 Divided by 750= 23.27 lbs
I use a cloth sewing tape and it’s quick and easy

If all you have is measurements you need the length x girth x girth dIvided by 750.
I can only do this in inches
85 cm = 33.46”
48cm = 19.29 “
So 33 x 19 x 19 Divided by 750 = 15.88 lbs
The girth can range from 16 to 25 and that can make a big difference.
33 x 23x23 Divided by 750= 23.27 lbs
I use a cloth sewing tape and it’s quick and easy
And you’re accurate Donny Boy… you turned my 11lb fish into an 8.75lber really quick.

Excellent day to day at Muir on one of the flattest calmest days BWD has so far delivered!!:)

We had lines in the water around 7:00am and not much happened at first. However after an hour we were towards the end of our normal troll and we began a 90 minute flurry of activity. First we released a small chinook about 5lb, then we had a double header of sorts. One side was another approx 5lb fish and the other was a 66cm fish which weighed 9lb. So we elected to keep the latter and released the former. Then we had two more little ones, one of which was a short fat guy of around 6-7lb, but we released him too. Then we got a short jab, then a pause, followed by a jiggle on one of the rods and this time the fish took off and we had a nice fight before netting a beauty 79cm fish. Back at base he went 15lb.

Oddly all this activity was in water deeper than we normally fish at Muir. Around 130’ but the rigger which was still set at 55’ produced the vast majority of the hits. 4” herring in t/heads was our usual bait.

We then headed out to 250-300’ of water and trolled back against the still ebbing tide and 90 minutes later the flood began. During this time we got steady sporadic hits on either hootchies of A/P spoons at 65’. These were a mixture of little chinook, unclipped coho, and several unknowns as they were long distance releases! Finally we did find one 7lb clipped coho to round out the day. Back at Sunny Shores by 1:00pm.
PXL_20240822_204350671.MP.jpg

Last edited:
We decided to sleep in and try the mid day bite. Put the rods down at Aldridge at 11am and trolled west with the ebb. Within 30 minutes, my daughter hooked a nice one between the Head and the Shack. 15 minutes later we picked up our second around the same size. We fished until 2 trying to get hatch coho. We tossed back a bunch of wilds and another spring. There were fish everywhere.

Attachments

• d2d224c8-7ca1-4086-9eb3-692552006035.jpg
    d2d224c8-7ca1-4086-9eb3-692552006035.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 215
We decided to sleep in and try the mid day bite. Put the rods down at Aldridge at 11am and trolled west with the ebb. Within 30 minutes, my daughter hooked a nice one between the Head and the Shack. 15 minutes later we picked up our second around the same size. We fished until 2 trying to get hatch coho. We tossed back a bunch of wilds and another spring. There were fish everywhere.

Think you got yourself a coho there. White gums.

I was out in Sooke this morning to provide a couple from the mainland a 4 hour fishing lesson on their boat. Started at Possession point area at 630 and had three springs in the boat by 730. All the fish were caught on bait, 65 ft on the DR and in 70 to 90 ft of water. It was foggy so I couldn't get a count on how many boats there were, until we went in at 930 (no fog) and saw around 45 boats just out side of the Sooke harbor.

After Spring fishing at 730, we moved off shore for a Coho lesson and had about 25 fish hits. It was great action day with big Coho and no one else out there. We were using alligator squirt 30 inch leader, 50 ft on the DR and in 400 to 500 ft of water. They got 14 fish to the boat, 12 released, two clipped and five of those fish released were around 10lb+- (wild) and the fish were bigger Coho than I have ever seen for this time of year.

It is now up to them to get out and try their luck.

Attachments

• Aug 25 Sooke, lesson.jpg
    Aug 25 Sooke, lesson.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 86
We headed out at 8am at stayed around the Head. Lots of wild coho around. At 9am, a boat near Aldridge went up in white smoke. Some nearby boats offered assistance and seemed to knock it down. Pulled the plug at noon with one smaller spring and tossed back some wild Coho. The whale show was the best of the summer. Humpbacks and Orcas right up against the rocks and breaching just outside the marina.

Attachments

• IMG_20240825_142302635.jpg
    IMG_20240825_142302635.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 78
Woke up late this morning and checked BWD. He had changed the wind forecast to very calm so we made the last minute decision to try PM fishing for a change. Down at Muir by 11:00am and not much happened for the first two hours, except for two coho which slipped the hook and one boat released unclipped coho. At 1:00pm had a bouncing hit and the fish ran like crazy. At least 100 metres. I said “this one has to be over!”. And so it proved. When we finally got it to the net it was 86cm, so back he went.

Things began heating up. Next was a double header of a coho and a chinook. We managed to lose both, although the chinook was much smaller than the biggie. Next came another decent hit and this time we boated a fairly good 70cm chinook. By mid-afternoon it was very strange, as a warm fog, not cold like usual, settled over Sheringham and most of Muir. At first visibility was pretty good, but the fog slowly settled down to the water.

We released another unclipped coho and then got another double header. This time a small chinook and a slightly bigger 63cm one which went 8lb back at base. We decided to keep this one as it was 3:30pm and very foggy. We packed up and as we headed East we burst out of the fog near Otter. The strange warm afternoon fog was just sitting over Muir and nowhere else. Pic below, although not big fish today, still OK. The big one had to be released LOL!! :)
PXL_20240825_232636111.MP.jpg

Very good fishing just out front this morning. I had the first line down and as I took the first step to the second downrigger, big takedown. A 22 pound (approximately) spring that was released. Caught a nice slot spring shortly after that followed by a beautiful big wild coho that went back. Lots of action in nearby boats too. Fished 8-12:30. Calm as a mill pond.

Very good fishing just out front this morning. I had the first line down and as I took the first step to the second downrigger, big takedown. A 22 pound (approximately) spring that was released. Caught a nice slot spring shortly after that followed by a beautiful big wild coho that went back. Lots of action in nearby boats too. Fished 8-12:30. Calm as a mill pond.
J
"Just out front" of Sooke? Or Victoria-Esquimalt?

Got out Sunday 6-8:30 started at the Head and fished between there and Aldridge. The springs were biting released a few and took home a nice 15lb 76cm fish and two much smaller hatch coho. Spoons and hootchie 44-71 ft was the ticket.

I must admit nook fishing this Aug has been better pert of incredible, we have a fantastic fishery. last monday had a HUGE group trip derby and they all went away with a whack of fish. 7 boats were involved and was a blast....
1724794552053.png
1724794570450.png
Yesterday rains didnt hamper much as my group did very well .. we left before it poured rain on us these fine folks are from alberta and have never salmon fished before and did great... today they also got a limit and some very nice coho
1724794657600.png

last few weeks fish have been up at varying depths some in the mud some at 39 feet coho have been coming in great. seems hoochies and AP spoons working great shallower... been seeing englishman a few times and wave and say hi ... saw him land that nice fish other day hes almost looking like a pro , can definatlly see him with that floresent jacket on LOL good on ya roland...few more weeks for that JDF derby and trust me these rains havent dampered the fishing one bit , the bite today was incredible with double header hook ups mind you it wasnt the nicest day , left over winds from last night made it a bit sloppy... but fish are still there for sure so get your tickets and get a chance of winning some good money prizes and we can keep any size fish in 5 days....

Knew you must be busy catchin' fish for your clients Wolf as this is your first post since early August! :)
Thanks for the "pro" comment, but I know I am a looooong way from that LOL!!
As to the fluorescent jacket, yeah well, if in my doddering advancing years I fall in, my wife has a better chance of locating me!!🤣😂

Good day. I’m coming out to Pender for thanksgiving to visit my Uncle. October 11- 14 th .
Looking for someone to take my out fishing.
Will pay gas etc. Or tag along with someone who’s commercial fishing … ( I can also work ). ..? Anything. Hahahahahaha.

I’m desperate. 🙏🏻

I must admit nook fishing this Aug has been better pert of incredible, we have a fantastic fishery. last monday had a HUGE group trip derby and they all went away with a whack of fish. 7 boats were involved and was a blast....
View attachment 109933
View attachment 109934
Yesterday rains didnt hamper much as my group did very well .. we left before it poured rain on us these fine folks are from alberta and have never salmon fished before and did great... today they also got a limit and some very nice coho
View attachment 109935

last few weeks fish have been up at varying depths some in the mud some at 39 feet coho have been coming in great. seems hoochies and AP spoons working great shallower... been seeing englishman a few times and wave and say hi ... saw him land that nice fish other day hes almost looking like a pro , can definatlly see him with that floresent jacket on LOL good on ya roland...few more weeks for that JDF derby and trust me these rains havent dampered the fishing one bit , the bite today was incredible with double header hook ups mind you it wasnt the nicest day , left over winds from last night made it a bit sloppy... but fish are still there for sure so get your tickets and get a chance of winning some good money prizes and we can keep any size fish in 5 days....
What was that you and your crew chasing a salmon with your net on Sun? I thought you were drunk when saw you zigzagging and circling coming towards me at Muir!??? 🤪

What was that you and your crew chasing a salmon with your net on Sun? I thought you were drunk when saw you zigzagging and circling coming towards me at Muir!??? 🤪
YES there was a fish dragging a Flasher and as it so happened we chased it right to that campion boat LOL

Lots of action this morning. At 9am the bite came on at the Head. Non-stop Coho action and a 7ft swell for some excitement. We had 4/5 as hatchery and called it a day. The Coho are sure big this year and there seems to be a high percentage that are clipped.

Attachments

• IMG_20240828_100438583.jpg
    IMG_20240828_100438583.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20240828_120031946_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240828_120031946_HDR.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 139
Lots of action this morning. At 9am the bite came on at the Head. Non-stop Coho action and a 7ft swell for some excitement. We had 4/5 as hatchery and called it a day. The Coho are sure big this year and there seems to be a high percentage that are clipped.
Love the old school setup.

Back