After a killer day last Saturday landing 2 extra fatty chinos we decided to repeat the experience yesterday. Went straight to the trap shack at 7am and worked it until noon with nothing but shakers when finally we picked up a 45cm nook and kept it. We went another 30 minutes past our curfew of noon because my wife wouldn't let me leave with just one. She pulled up one of the lines at 12:30pm and said "I'm just going to leave the other one down while I clean up the boat a bit to get ready to go. Then with the biggest fattest puppy dog eyes she said "I guess we should go now". Then WHAM! We battled this chunk of meat we were sure was over sized for way too long, under the boat almost in the motor then finally 80cm on the nose and I'm off to nap time. 35 ' on the dr and rig in the photo.

Attachments

• DJI_0193.JPG
    DJI_0193.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 174
  • DJI_0201.JPG
    DJI_0201.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 175
Had a great couple days out of Cheanuh, easy access to good springs. Did better than we did in Barkley Sound last weekend.
Boxed 4 Friday and released 2 overs. One wild coho and some smalls. Bite was decent until 930 and then again for an hour or 2 after low. 70-140 of wire, variety of spoons and flash flys.
Should have had our limit today though a couple lost near the the boat with new fishers. 2 boxed and one over released. Again, off the head seemed best and 90 on the rigger was a good number. Weather today wasn’t as good as Friday, though was better up by trap shack then off the head. Tried east a bit by Bedford w/o any luck and didn’t have much action in tight in <100fow.
A couple legal crab but pretty hard to come by males.
Get out there!
Was bumper boats Friday am but everyone seemed to get along. Thanks to @Newf (I think) who gave us some space when we snagged a ball Friday!

Attachments

• IMG_9828.jpeg
    IMG_9828.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 89
Ok Tubber have one more for u that I need all I know is that it’s a gibbs

Attachments

• IMG_4845.jpeg
    IMG_4845.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4844.jpeg
    IMG_4844.jpeg
    293.6 KB · Views: 60
Saw my brother back off to the Merrie Olde Countrie yesterday, and so we decided to give it another go today. Seemed too bumpy for us oldies to crash down to Muir, so gave it a go around Possession and harbour mouth. At 7:30am hit a jiggly bouncing bite in 105’ of water and after two runs brought in a feisty half-decent 74cm fish. Nothing much for next two hours except released a very small 35 cm chinook and one coho that hit the herring t/head combo on the surface while I still had the line in my hand prior to placing it in the clip. Around 10am we found ourselves off the bluffs and had another bouncing jiggle in 75’ of water. Played a very nice fish right to the boat but a strong head shake and twist and the hook was airborne! Fished for another hour and then called it to get home for lunch!!:)

Took Grandson #2 out this morning as he saw his brother’s fish from Friday and wanted to try his luck. Lines down at 6:30am and by 7:30 we had a 79cm and a 70cm in the boat and had released a wild coho and 3 other smaller Chinook. Putted around for a hour trying for a clipped coho but no luck. All fish were in about 200ft of water and 65 and 75 on DR using herring aid shinny G and g-force spoons. 12 female crab in two traps. Off the water by 10:30.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 80
Took my neighbours out this am. Motored out to the trap shack from Victoria after we dropped the crab traps off in front of Saxx Point, arrived around 6:30ish. We would’ve arrived a little sooner, but it was a little bumpy on the way out.

We didn’t do much of anything until about 9 o’clock, except dodge kelp, and we finally hooked into a fish just after 9. We were a little hesitant netting it, but luckily, it was 80 cm on the nose. We ended up catching a couple more coho, & 1 more small spring, and it seemed things had died down, so then we moved down to Beechy head. On our way down, we hooked into a beautiful size fish, but he was content not coming in the boat. Several attempts were made at wanting to net him, but he just would come in that extra 3 ‘ that was needed, and finally spit the hook. He looked like he would have been an “over”……so that’s what we told ourselves

Finished the day with 3 wild coho, 2 springs in the boat, and 1 “oversized” released. 4 fish on spoons, 3 on bait, 2 springs on bait and 1 coho. 3 @ 66’, 3 @ 57’, third rod was at 25’-37’ and 1 coho. Bait was on the 57’

10 female crabs, and 1 keeper

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 75
After a killer day last Saturday landing 2 extra fatty chinos we decided to repeat the experience yesterday. Went straight to the trap shack at 7am and worked it until noon with nothing but shakers when finally we picked up a 45cm nook and kept it. We went another 30 minutes past our curfew of noon because my wife wouldn't let me leave with just one. She pulled up one of the lines at 12:30pm and said "I'm just going to leave the other one down while I clean up the boat a bit to get ready to go. Then with the biggest fattest puppy dog eyes she said "I guess we should go now". Then WHAM! We battled this chunk of meat we were sure was over sized for way too long, under the boat almost in the motor then finally 80cm on the nose and I'm off to nap time. 35 ' on the dr and rig in the photo.

Popped out to Otter in the kayak again yesterday. Chased bait around for a bit and jigged up a couple in the 60-70cm range (released). Paddled around without much luck for the next while before my pal discovered some bait and fish hugging structure down deep (130-150') and we quickly got into a number of decent fish. As I was playing one of 'em, I saw the head of a giant sea lion ripping the surface nearby. Sure enough, it knew what was going down and b-lined my direction. I did my best to horse the fish to the kayak and managed to get it to the surface. Took one swipe with the net. Boink, missed it. Derp. The sea lion was basically on top of me at that point, so I thumbed the reel and snapped off the fish (and my beautiful jig, sigh). Cleaned my shorts and proceeded to fish for another couple of hours. Ended up with a nice 72cm clipped fish, probably in the 10-11 lb range.

Side note: my friend and I noticed that the few fish from Becher and Otter that we've kept recently have had tapeworms in their intestines. Anyone else notice this? Kinda nasty, IMO. Meat looks great, though.

IMG_4428.jpg

Popped out to Otter in the kayak again yesterday. Chased bait around for a bit and jigged up a couple in the 60-70cm range (released). Paddled around without much luck for the next while before my pal discovered some bait and fish hugging structure down deep (130-150') and we quickly got into a number of decent fish. As I was playing one of 'em, I saw the head of a giant sea lion ripping the surface nearby. Sure enough, it knew what was going down and b-lined my direction. I did my best to horse the fish to the kayak and managed to get it to the surface. Took one swipe with the net. Boink, missed it. Derp. The sea lion was basically on top of me at that point, so I thumbed the reel and snapped off the fish (and my beautiful jig, sigh). Cleaned my shorts and proceeded to fish for another couple of hours. Ended up with a nice 72cm clipped fish, probably in the 10-11 lb range.

Side note: my friend and I noticed that the few fish from Becher and Otter that we've kept recently have had tapeworms in their intestines. Anyone else notice this? Kinda nasty, IMO. Meat looks great, though.

View attachment 109372
A lot of the mature springs have tapeworms some are really long. That is why the guides throw the guts away quickly before the paying customers see them.

View attachment 109372
You could be a hand model

View attachment 109372
Thanks for the report Deepaaar. Do you or anyone else know of there is an easier launching spot of the beach further down in Gordon beach? The launch at 3rd rock and Gordon beach area is steep and not much opening. Thanks…

You could be a hand model
You clearly haven't seen my OF account. Yeeeeeeeww!

As for another launch, the other one I've used is the main beach access just down the beach from the one you're talking about. Gotta schlep the yak over the logs along there, so not really any better. Muir is an option, but that's not a great launch, either, and it's a muuuch longer paddle. Honestly, the best thing is to just go with someone else and carry the kayaks down. The launch itself is always iffy and I won't go if there's any real swell.

View attachment 109372
Great post Depaar. Sea lions are the one thing that make me nervous when I’m yak fishing. I passed a couple of paddle boarders a few years ago at Otter, 1 was holding up a chinook for the hero shot. I reminded them as I pedaled past that we are not at the top of the food chain and unless they wanted a 600 lb sea lion joining them for a salmon snack, they should stow the fish away!
Tom

Great post Depaar. Sea lions are the one thing that make me nervous when I’m yak fishing. I passed a couple of paddle boarders a few years ago at Otter, 1 was holding up a chinook for the hero shot. I reminded them as I pedaled past that we are not at the top of the food chain and unless they wanted a 600 lb sea lion joining them for a salmon snack, they should stow the fish away!
Tom
Good advice, a big male stellar can weigh up to 2500 pounds…..

Tom
Seriously!

In a slightly less existential moment, I was bleeding out a coho next to my kayak in Port Renfrew when I felt a tug. I yoinked the fish (and my hand) back into the boat and started into the eyes of an annoyed seal just a couple o' feet away. Safe to say I don't dangle fish over the yak on a stringer anymore...

Seriously!

In a slightly less existential moment, I was bleeding out a coho next to my kayak in Port Renfrew when I felt a tug. I yoinked the fish (and my hand) back into the boat and started into the eyes of an annoyed seal just a couple o' feet away. Safe to say I don't dangle fish over the yak on a stringer anymore...
I have lost a few springs to sea lions at Sandheads and one was fairly close to us, maybe 20 feet away - scary, that sea lion was enormous. And we were in a 30’ boat. I can’t imagine a sea lion that big close to me in a kayak. Many years ago (40) I did a dive at Race Rocks. The PHD marine biologist I was diving with wanted to get out to the sea lions, I was ok with it until a big male started swimming and “buzzing” us. I was sucking my air so fast and we backed out of there in a hurry.

Back