Went out this morning at 6;30am. The Head was ugly so we started at the Trap which was actually pretty calm. We lost our first spring at the boat and then hooked into a good one. It immediately took off and wrapped around somebody's downrigger. We chased the boat around the trap trying to get their attention. Then another boat drove over our line (Don't know how they didn't notice 200ft of line above the water). Despite being wrapped on two riggers, the guys in the first boat netted the fish and handed it over. It ended up being 89cm and was given to the sealion. We hooked into another 4 springs and a 9lb hatch Coho which was a surprise. Quit by 10 and kept 2 springs in the teens and 1 Coho. Hopefully the winds drop off for the rest of the week.

Went out this morning at 6;30am. The Head was ugly so we started at the Trap which was actually pretty calm. We lost our first spring at the boat and then hooked into a good one. It immediately took off and wrapped around somebody's downrigger. We chased the boat around the trap trying to get their attention. Then another boat drove over our line (Don't know how they didn't notice 200ft of line above the water). Despite being wrapped on two riggers, the guys in the first boat netted the fish and handed it over. It ended up being 89cm and was given to the sealion. We hooked into another 4 springs and a 9lb hatch Coho which was a surprise. Quit by 10 and kept 2 springs in the teens and 1 Coho. Hopefully the winds drop off for the rest of the week.
Sounds like a good old fashioned **** show!! 😂! Glad you got a couple keepers!!

Our day was very similar to vicsurfer. Hit the trap about 6:30 and saw 4 or 5 nets out and then very quiet. We finally picked one up about half way to secretary around 11 that was bang on 80 cm. Had a couple more strikes, but that was it for us. Tried bait and various spoons. The fish took a beat up Herring Aid skinny g. Nice day on the water!

20240807_104036.jpg

20240807_074012.jpg

Ran in to this stud fish and fisherman today. Roland the Highliner! You guys on this forum have been so kind to us Americans. Thank you for letting us play in your sandbox. Kings slots (2 left) done after tomorrow so searching for Coho (can’t find any yet) and bottom fishing weekend. Any ideas on halibut let me know we’ll be out on the 250-300 foot line. Tight lines!

Attachments

• IMG_1719.jpeg
    IMG_1719.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 113
Thanks for the current reports all, in town visiting the in-laws so heading out of Cheanuh tomorrow and Saturday in hopes for some keepers. Give a wave if you see an old green Sylvan (inboard).

I prefer not to (lol) but the wife would love to see some Orca’s, does anyone know if the whale watching boats use a specific radio channel or do they keep quiet about locations? If anyone sees them perhaps give a shout on 68 to ‘The Provider’.
Ran in to this stud fish and fisherman today. Roland the Highliner! You guys on this forum have been so kind to us Americans. Thank you for letting us play in your sandbox. Kings slots (2 left) done after tomorrow so searching for Coho (can’t find any yet) and bottom fishing weekend. Any ideas on halibut let me know we’ll be out on the 250-300 foot line. Tight lines!
PHW if we get bored we may go look for some Coho, I’ll flick you a msg if we have any luck.

Thanks Peter! The photo you took was of me and my brother from the U.K. As I mentioned, I had not seen my brother for 8 years and I took him out today for what turned out to be an epic day. We started out at the harbour mouth because of the fog. We released a coho there and then around 8 am it was clear enough for the run down to Muir.

We were only there about 15 minutes and we had a hit which we missed. Straight away by brother got another hit and played a fish near to the boat, but it gave a twist and a head shake and the teaser head snapped off. Must have been in the throat and the teeth got the line. A quick teaser head change and a few minutes he got another hit and played a 78cm fish to the net. He was kinda’ super pleased!!

We fished on for a coupla’ hours with nothing, so I changed my teaser head to a purple one and soon had big hit. This one ran like crazy but we eventually netted a beauty 79cm fish. This was the one in PHW’s pic. Down again and 10 minutes later another nice hit and this one also ran big time and we eventually netted a spot on 80cm fish!!

Trolled back to Sooke out in 350’ of water looking for coho but nothing but little shakers. Not to worry with 3 decent high teener chinooks it was truly an epic day!!:):cool::)

PXL_20240808_220630205(1).jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday was a great day in Sooke. Started off with a bang Double header Teenagers, then followed by 2 more double headers, back to back to back. of the 6 fish on. Landed 4, released 4. Looking for that 80cm. Finally got my close to 80cm. Went 11 for 15 on chinook, only 1 wild coho. Fog finally lifted earlier yesterday. But it was pee soup going out there.

Fished out of Cheanuh last night 6:30-8:30 with my daughter and her boyfriend.
Got to the Head and saw a couple of fish on so started there. Must have just missed the bite. No hits and bite ended for everyone.
Fished Head to Aldridge with the ripping tide. No bait so picked up and ran to Trap Shack for the last hour to get out to the current.
Some bait there so did a couple of laps. 8:15 good fish on that was lost behind the boat. Circled through same spot and another good fish on that was also lost behind the boat. Couple of rookie fishers that gave up some slack when the flasher broke surface. Called it quits just after 8:30.
Both fish on bait. Nothing on spoons. I think with the fast tide bait was getting pushed and fish were following so the bite was a moving target.
Good night on the boat with the kids though.

Early morning start with my grandson. Between 6:30 and 7:30 released 8-10 small fish at the boat as well as a nice 84cm fatty. Also lost one in the 10-12 lb range while trying to net it. These were all between Aldridge and the head. Picked up a 79cm off of the trap around 10:30 and also kept a small one in the 7 lb range. All on spoons, mostly skinny and wee G’s.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 52
I took the kayak to Gordon's yesterday to commune with the trolling fleet and try my luck. On the water at 7:30am. Jigged bait balls with herring imitations for the most part and ended up tying into a nice one that shook the hook at the boat. I'm telling myself that it was definitely too big to take home :rolleyes:. Followed The Wolf around for a minute until he caught on ;) Called it at 2pm due to exhaustion and a silly evening meeting I had to get to. Had a big one chase the jig to the surface while hitting "the last bait ball, I swear" along the beach. Needless to say, it wasn't the last one on the way in, but no buzzer-beater luck this time.

All in all, it was a great day to be out - crazy good weather and enough action to stay motivated.

Match the hatch. Good Star Kingfisher Lite HerringAid 3-inch spoon whacking and we are stacking. Otter trolling with tide 90-120 feet, 85-90 feet on the rigger. Searching for Coho and Halibut now. Will report back. Tight Lines.

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 62
Another spectacular weather day for a short fish. We hit Beechy around 10 and trolled our way over to the Trap. Not much happened until close to low slack around 11:45. We picked up what looked like a sub 80 cm on a Bon Chovy skinny g, but lost it at the boat. We changed up the other spoon to Anchovy in a bloody nose teaser head and hooked up soon after, landing a 72 cm chinook. Dropped the same setup and had another legal within a few minutes. Saw a good number of fish landed and then the bite seemed to cool. We decided to run the reef and picked up our third legal fish as we rounded the tip of the reef, about 45 minutes later, to fill our dance card. Pretty good action for the 3.5 hours we spent on the water. The final count was bait 3 spoons 1.

20240809_145456.jpg

20240809_141911.jpg

Another spectacular weather day for a short fish. We hit Beechy around 10 and trolled our way over to the Trap. Not much happened until close to low slack around 11:45. We picked up what looked like a sub 80 cm on a Bon Chovy skinny g, but lost it at the boat. We changed up the other spoon to Anchovy in a bloody nose teaser head and hooked up soon after, landing a 72 cm chinook. Dropped the same setup and had another legal within a few minutes. Saw a good number of fish landed and then the bite seemed to cool. We decided to run the reef and picked up our third legal fish as we rounded the tip of the reef, about 45 minutes later, to fill our dance card. Pretty good action for the 3.5 hours we spent on the water. The final count was bait 3 spoons 1.

View attachment 109203

View attachment 109204
Those tubbies look like they’ve been eating!

Week 2 of our Sooke opening was much better for us. Landed 5 of 7. Last 2 fish were a double header when we only need 1 more. Did a quick eyeball measure, netted one and gaff released the 5th. We fished between the Head and the Trap in pea soup fog. Outside tack was the ticket for us. All fish came on bait between 45 and 70ft.
Heard the top three fish in the derby as of noon all weighed 17.1lbs. Our fish were all 12-14lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20240810_131925_673.jpg
    IMG_20240810_131925_673.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20240810_131925_720.jpg
    IMG_20240810_131925_720.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 42
Great day today. Finally found the Silver Horde. Off of W entrance point of Becher Bay in 350-420 fow. 35 feet on rigger. Best was trolling 45 degrees on tide to maintain 4 mph on gps. 20 to boat to keep 2. Some really nice size wild—fun to play. Herring Aid Kingfisher UV spoon, with an eye, and short leader. Match the hatch Go fast and hang on. They rip it! Tight Lines.

PHW

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpeg
    IMG_1743.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1747.jpeg
    IMG_1747.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back