Took the granddaughters out yesterday morning for coho in 400 foot of water out off Beech fishing small spoons at 45 and 55 feet. To my mild surprise we had our six hatchery in the boat before 10 and only had to shake off one wild. We lost three others partway to the boat so pretty steady action,. Went out again today with a buddy and fought the waves in the same place, same time, same gear for two hours and not a sniff. The coho gods are fickle.

Heard the coho fishing was good yesterday so a friend of mine invited me to go today. Worked 1/2 day and left later to catch the turn at 1330. Got to beachy and dropped lines. Sporadic hits at 50 ft. Fished 2 hours and out of the 7 hookups 1 was a clipped. We also hooked into a big chinook on the shallow side.

Waves and wind were a bit tough to fish in. Coho was very hit and miss. left at 1430. Not sure what is going on this year but I agree with BCBill the coho gods indeed are fickle.

Was out this last week to look for coho. got maybe 5 bites for the day fishing the a few hour each side of the tide change.
Got our bites mostly about 55ft on spoons.

Its still slower then I remember. on this day last year my 5 year old son brought in his first coho while I was out with a buddy. He got in on a triple header and I got it all on video. Where are the coho this year?

Was out this last week to look for coho. got maybe 5 bites for the day fishing the a few hour each side of the tide change.
Got our bites mostly about 55ft on spoons.

Its still slower then I remember. on this day last year my 5 year old son brought in his first coho while I was out with a buddy. He got in on a triple header and I got it all on video. Where are the coho this year?
I found the coho's were in tight to the head on Tuesday

When out Friday morning did a little bit of Halibut fishing, tide was nice. Picked up two dogs then a 30lb Halibut out west. After cleaning up, I trolled back to Sooke & picked up a couple Coho. All done by (10:00 am)

Attachments

• IMG_5833.JPG
    IMG_5833.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5827.JPG
    IMG_5827.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 63
Out yesterday morning, seemed slow in the bay early on, headed out to Bedford and found a coho in the tide rip, unfortunately came off when I took off the clip. After that headed back across toward Aldridge staying on tide line and then back into the bay. Every time I checked the lines had a shaker on, mostly 8"-9" springs and one coho about same size. Couldn't keep them off, must have brought in 8 no doubt dragging them around for a bit too. Buddy said at least we know the gear is working. :(

A combination of advancing age, inclement weather and grand kids has kept us off the water since October. Tried to launch at Sunny Shores at 6:15am but we were already too late for the tide. Made the trek to the Prestige, parked a looong distance from the boat ramp as usual and finally got the rods in the water around 7:30am. Fished Possession and harbour mouth in the early calm but when we got to the Bluffs a strong east wind came up in opposition to the flood tide. Our littler boat was bumped about like crazy and it got too uncomfortable to continue. It was very hard to maintain a line, so called it off at 10:30am. Just three shakers and one "maybe" hit and that was it. Early days yet so there is still time.!!

Last edited:
We fished 8-12 off the Trap. Windy, rough and lots of weed. Managed only one spring around 8 pounds. On the way in, we towed this dead Six Gill back to the marina.

Attachments

• IMG_20240801_124527064.jpg
    IMG_20240801_124527064.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20240801_124429964.jpg
    IMG_20240801_124429964.jpg
    617.8 KB · Views: 173
With the help of a good samaritan shore angler who made his way over from his spot with his net to give me a hand, I landed and released this 94/95 centimetre chunker from the rocks this morning. It was caught on a 2 1/2-inch holographic green Buzz Bomb with a single-point 2/0 hook using a 13-foot Amundson Kudos Strategy X ultra-light rod paired with a Shimano Stradic XG 4000 reel spooled with 10-pound test braid. What a blast!
I wanted to get this back in the water fast, so no hero shots. We just threw a tape on it and let it go. I grabbed this photo from my GoPro video.

Attachments

• August 1 Spring 4.jpg
    August 1 Spring 4.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 198
WELL the much anticpated Day 1 opening is in the books, Had a group from the forum here hit the water with me last 2 days, On the 31 we landed and released 11 springs. Yesterday (aug 1) it was go time and we did VERY well. we had lots of laughs and fun solved all world problems. oh and we got fish and crab . AP tackle works spoon seemed to be the hot ticket landing most, and one id say was up in the high to mid 20s at 95 cm. biggest of course mom got at 16 lbs

WAS a great Group to start my season from a very long stint up north at knight inlet. And I hate to say it but guys right rod to shore.....
1722599082081.png

Launched today at Cheanuh shortly after 7:00 (bankers' hours) and were fishing at 'The Head' by 7:30. Nothing but little guys, worked our way west to the Trap Shack, more little guys. Fished a bit cautiously as my depth counter on my down rigger pegged out at '39'. My fish finder spots my down rigger ball as far down as 100' but I have an aversion to depositing lead on the bottom. By 10:00 we concluded that the the previous day's big springs had all been caught by Wolf, or had made other arrangements, so headed out into deeper water hoping for a coho or two. Nothing much happened for half an hour and then that beautiful thing happened to my rod: the tip just bowed down almost to the water, then popped back to straight up, and the Peetz just sang, and sang and sang. There was a Spring on my lure and it had no interest at all in coming to the boat. Ten wonderful minutes later it came to the surface and started to head for the boat, 'skating' out to the side like a water skiier. The hook held and I was able to steer him to the boat and the landing net. 77cm, 14½lbs, a sight for sore eyes . White flesh, wild, buck. Picture to follow

WELL the much anticpated Day 1 opening is in the books, Had a group from the forum here hit the water with me last 2 days, On the 31 we landed and released 11 springs. Yesterday (aug 1) it was go time and we did VERY well. we had lots of laughs and fun solved all world problems. oh and we got fish and crab . AP tackle works spoon seemed to be the hot ticket landing most, and one id say was up in the high to mid 20s at 95 cm. biggest of course mom got at 16 lbs

WAS a great Group to start my season from a very long stint up north at knight inlet. And I hate to say it but guys right rod to shore.....
View attachment 108895
We can't thank Roy enough for two great days of fishing. We have been salmon fishing for many years, but I have never stayed in Sooke. From my time as a forum member I said if I ever fished out of Sooke it would be with Bluewolf Charters. Roy was so willing to answer all my questions. I view a charter as a learning experience for even the most experienced anglers. My daughter (left) and family were visiting from Switzerland and they had the time of their lives. We have fished Renrew every year for the past 12 years and we thoroughly enjoyed the great fishing and hospitality we had on our first visit to Sooke. Roy, can't wait to charter with you again in the future.

Back