Anyone find any coho recently between Otter and Whirl Bay? Thinking of giving it a go later today but might just stick to choring if there are none around. Thanks

Anyone find any coho recently between Otter and Whirl Bay? Thinking of giving it a go later today but might just stick to choring if there are none around. Thanks
A friend was out yesterday all day, hardly any action. He searched from Sooke to beachy and only got 1 bite

I too was out Friday. Started early in the bay and hit a few nice springs and one beauty clipped gal at 23 lbs. she was 80 cm and had an empty gut. Headed out for coho at 8am heading south, as soon as we turned west they started to hit hard and it didn’t take long to get our 4 clipped cohos. Black green herring aid was on fire. So much bait jumping everywhere and spewing out of the fishes mouths when they hit the deck. Small green minnows? We were done by 10am so back into the bay to find our last clipped nook with no luck. Was a great day

Attachments

• BC25CB2A-8AE1-4C94-AA8C-9F5AE01D1B43.jpeg
    BC25CB2A-8AE1-4C94-AA8C-9F5AE01D1B43.jpeg
    404.1 KB · Views: 154
I too was out Friday. Started early in the bay and hit a few nice springs and one beauty clipped gal at 23 lbs. she was 80 cm and had an empty gut. Headed out for coho at 8am heading south, as soon as we turned west they started to hit hard and it didn’t take long to get our 4 clipped cohos. Black green herring aid was on fire. So much bait jumping everywhere and spewing out of the fishes mouths when they hit the deck. Small green minnows? We were done by 10am so back into the bay to find our last clipped nook with no luck. Was a great day
80cm and 23 pounds! This post is going to stir the pot for sure.

I get it Frank .. The tub is 36 inches and the tail sticks out a bit
37x21x21 divided by 750= 21.75 then I put it on a scale at 23. It was a fatty with an empty stomach.
The tail had been bitten by something so t may have been over 80cm
i thought Tyee at first sight
I now see 37 in is 93 cm so ya I guess I’ve fed some bs . Sorry for that

Attachments

• FBA06B5C-8896-4D88-82EE-CACF246E27FE.png
    FBA06B5C-8896-4D88-82EE-CACF246E27FE.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Was out early yesterday for Hali. My buddy counted 26 doggies before we pulled anchor. Motored in about a 1/2 mile and dropped a line to drift a bit. 10 minutes and 2 more dogs. No hali but I have dog catching down to a science.

Finally got a chance to take advantage of this great weather and no wind to get out Friday and Saturday for a few hours. Spent both mornings at the Trap. Friday we hooked 3 Chinooks and had two more solid strikes that didn't stick. Two made it to the boat for a photo in the water and a quick release. One looked to be just over 20 and the other mid teens. Our first hit was a hard pin popper, but we lost it after a couple good runs. Felt like a fairly heavy fish when I grabbed the rod before handing it off. We also picked up three Coho, but none were clipped.The Chinooks were all caught on Anchovy at 69 feet on the rigger. Lots of bait around.
Saturday was different. We got a low teen to the boat fairly quickly, but that was our only Chinook for the day. Had two other strikes that didn't stick as well. We headed off Beechy for Coho and managed to hook five. Two were wild and three were clipped. We kept one clipped and threw back the other two, which were legal but needed to grow a little more. We picked up the Coho with a green flasher, green skinny g combo between forty and fifty feet on the rigger. So great to have flat calm water and sunshine!

20240713_192322.jpg

20240712_230712.jpg

20240712_230214.jpg

20240712_121647.jpg

20240713_101032.jpg

Last edited:
Was out Friday and Sunday. Friday was 4 for 6 on Chinook, Biggest 18lbs lots of cookie Cutter 12 lbers. Was definately slower than previous week. But they are still around. Sunday was much better went out with a buddy we were 7 for 10 on Chinook and all big size. Lost two Monsters. Biggest was 25 lbs today. We did a night fish on Saturday night and release a 30lber biggest of the season so far. But I am sure we have had bigger that have gotten away. All Catch and Release.

Last edited:
No Chinook Retention Until Aug 1. Come Aug 1 it will be most likely 1 Per day wild or Hatchery up to 80 cm in length. Sept 1 its 2 Per day any size Hatchery or Wild.

The only thing you can kept right now is 2 Hatchery Coho or if you get a Hatchery Chinook in the small retention zone outside of Cheanau Marina.

Back