Lots of action this morning. At 9am the bite came on at the Head. Non-stop Coho action and a 7ft swell for some excitement. We had 4/5 as hatchery and called it a day. The Coho are sure big this year and there seems to be a high percentage that are clipped.
I have one of those blue Scotty’s I inherited from my dad on my fishing kayak. Makes me feel good every time I use it.
T2

Today, was a bit of a tough day which ended in a miracle of sorts. Not for the size of the fish but the manner of its capture,

Anyway, we tried to launch at Sunny Shores at 7:00am but still not enough water, so off to the Prestige. Lines down at Muir close to 8:00am and we had a short flurry of action. We had a couple of unclipped coho which we released, two hits which we missed, and then we contacted a half decent chinook. We played it to the boat but it gave a last head shake and popped the hook.:(

We continued to troll west against the tide, past Muir Creek, but it had all gone quiet and other than a coho that got off, we had nothing. We then returned back east with the tide and joined some guide boats in that area. We had a few sporadic hits here but nothing stuck.

Tried going deeper and had a hit at 80’ which we contacted very briefly but never saw. By late morning a slight east wind came up and built a bit of chop.

We decided to continue to troll east with the tide, bouncing through the chop, having changed to a spoon at 75' on one side and put the herring at 100’ on the other. We came around Otter still with nothing and I said OK let’s call it a day. I began retrieving the deep herring first. I never yank on the line but just wind to maintain contact with the clip and let the downrigger bring in the gear.

So we were doing 3 knots with the tide and the bait was coming up at downrigger speed, when at approximately 50’ the clip popped and I felt a big hit on the rod. I was now into a very hard fighting chinook, in the middle of the heavy chop near Otter, and I found it hard to stand up. However, the aforementioned miracle did occur and we actually netted the fish after a big run and a couple of plunges near the boat. It was only 70cm and went just 11lb, but totally unexpected and out-of-the-blue. Amazing!!

Pic of the miracle fish below.
PXL_20240828_224652094.MP.jpg

Amazing fishing today of off Secretary and Otter. Stopped at Secretary around 8am and put the first rod down to 55’ Did not even finish setting the drag before it popped off. Big wild Coho, probably 8+ pounds followed by lots more over the next 2 hours. Many double headers. However could not find a hatchery there so thought we would head up to Otter. As we were starting to go I saw a huge flock of seagulls and ducks attacking bait. Like literally 300 plus diving into bait.
Motored over to them and could see multiple huge bait balls on the surface. At one point there was bait all around the boat too.
Decided to throw out a couple of buzz bombs and got a hit on the 3rd jig. Sister in law had one on in few jigs too. You could actually see the coho swimming under our boat going after the bait. We got 4 large coho to the boat on the buzz bombs but again no hatchery.
So headed to Otter point. Again Rod down and had a Chinook on in a mater of minutes. Many double headers over the next few hours.
Ended with our 3 Chinook under 80cm. 17,15 and 11 plus 2 hatchery coho.
Overall had over 30+ fish on. Maybe had a 45-60 min lull but then the bite came on again.
Coho were amazing size and chubby. If they are still here Oct 1st should be a great fishery.
90% of our fish were on a white glow hootchie and from 45 to 77ft on the rigger.

I have fished this area off and on for over 30 years. This was one of the best days we have had.

Out again tomorrow

IMG_9181.jpegIMG_9184.jpegIMG_9185.jpegIMG_9192.jpeg

Lots of action this morning. At 9am the bite came on at the Head. Non-stop Coho action and a 7ft swell for some excitement. We had 4/5 as hatchery and called it a day. The Coho are sure big this year and there seems to be a high percentage that are clipped.
I have a couple of the blue Scotty rod holders to complete the retro theme.

Knew you must be busy catchin' fish for your clients Wolf as this is your first post since early August! :)
Thanks for the "pro" comment, but I know I am a looooong way from that LOL!!
As to the fluorescent jacket, yeah well, if in my doddering advancing years I fall in, my wife has a better chance of locating me!!🤣😂
Only the “Boss” on the detail wears florescent…just so you know. 😂

Amazing fishing today of off Secretary and Otter. Stopped at Secretary around 8am and put the first rod down to 55’ Did not even finish setting the drag before it popped off. Big wild Coho, probably 8+ pounds followed by lots more over the next 2 hours. Many double headers. However could not find a hatchery there so thought we would head up to Otter. As we were starting to go I saw a huge flock of seagulls and ducks attacking bait. Like literally 300 plus diving into bait.
Motored over to them and could see multiple huge bait balls on the surface. At one point there was bait all around the boat too.
Decided to throw out a couple of buzz bombs and got a hit on the 3rd jig. Sister in law had one on in few jigs too. You could actually see the coho swimming under our boat going after the bait. We got 4 large coho to the boat on the buzz bombs but again no hatchery.
So headed to Otter point. Again Rod down and had a Chinook on in a mater of minutes. Many double headers over the next few hours.
Ended with our 3 Chinook under 80cm. 17,15 and 11 plus 2 hatchery coho.
Overall had over 30+ fish on. Maybe had a 45-60 min lull but then the bite came on again.
Coho were amazing size and chubby. If they are still here Oct 1st should be a great fishery.
90% of our fish were on a white glow hootchie and from 45 to 77ft on the rigger.

I have fished this area off and on for over 30 years. This was one of the best days we have had.

Out again tomorrow
I saw that boat you were in and my clients and I said what a beutiful boat!!!! you have done her proud!!

Out again today. Not quite as good as yesterday but still a great day. Got a 79cm 16 pound red Chinook and a hatch coho both on anchovy this time at 77’
Lots of arches on the sounder pretty much everywhere we went but did not find a big bite on.
Still too many big wild coho. Keep thinking they are 10 pound Chinook!

IMG_9206.jpeg
IMG_8524.jpeg

We fished 9-12:30 today off the Head. Had a hit right away that didn't stick and then it went dead. Finally around 11:30 it picked up with the flood. We released 3 wilds and kept 2 hatch Coho. Lots of shakers showing up now so check those lines often. The one Coho had a bad case of Scoliosis. Our best spoon by far this week has been the Gibbs Maverick.

Attachments

• IMG_20240831_170112467.jpg
    IMG_20240831_170112467.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20240831_173422619.jpg
    IMG_20240831_173422619.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 128
Well September has always been tough for us. It is like clockwork. As soon as the slot comes off the number of fish declines precipitously!! ;)

We were at Muir at first light, had a light tap to begin which never materialised and then nothing until 9:30am. Finally got a decent hit at 55’ in 95’ of water and the fish gave a decent account of itself before we netted a 75cm fish. It went 12.5lb back at base.

And that was it except for one undersized. By mid-morning there were quite a few boats at Muir including several guides but we only ever saw one other chinook being caught. At noon we trolled back east round Otter which was surrounded by about 50 boats, but other than one unclipped coho we did not find anything else. No miracle fish this time. LOL :)

At Sunny Shores dock we spoke to four boats and they had zero chinook, or one like us. Some seemed to do OK on the clipped coho though.

Sunrise over Otter this am from Muir

Pic of our single fish below that.

PXL_20240901_135735406.MP.jpg

PXL_20240901_210904746.MP.jpg

Last edited:
These huge ebbs dont help either Roland its tougher and the new moon leading up it generally sucks next week thursady on you get the better end of the AM floods which pushes fish in so should be better especially with no rain in the forcast for a bit... Dont worry was slow for me yesterday as well only manged a few and lost a couple ... seems to be mor eon bait last few days and the goofy hoochie...Asian *********

These huge ebbs dont help either Roland its tougher and the new moon leading up it generally sucks next week thursady on you get the better end of the AM floods which pushes fish in so should be better especially with no rain in the forcast for a bit... Dont worry was slow for me yesterday as well only manged a few and lost a couple ... seems to be mor eon bait last few days and the goofy hoochie...Asian *********
When can we get a picture of this goofy hoochie? I’m intrigued.

Went out the other day with a friend to try our luck. Arrived beachy head around 830 and go into some coho mostly wild. Then rode the current past sooke harbour to otter point. fished otter point with no luck till the tide changed and we we rode it back east a bit. Marked a lot of coho but didn't get too many bites. Wind picked up and it was a bit sloshy while we BBQ our lunch (lamb chops and toasted buns)

Made it back to the head where winds/waves died down, trolled around the head with just 2 bites.

As we trolled from the head to possession point a stupid whale came near us. I turned the boat the other way and it popped out on the other side near us again. I then turned to go another direction to avoid it but it once again popped up close but this time in front of us so I said "the heck with it" and turned around and headed the other way. Newf passed me laughing as he saw the whale around me and said "I thought you were trying to catch it" to which I yelled back "no thanks!"
Pulled up lines shortly after and had a very nice ride back. Strange how the waves/wind can kick up in one spot and not another. Ended the day with 2 clipped coho and a few crabs. No chinook to be seen.

Last edited:
Went out the other day with a friend to try our luck. Arrived beachy head around 830 and go into some coho mostly wild. Then rode the current past sooke harbour to otter point. fished otter point with no luck till the tide changed and we we rode it back east a bit. Marked a lot of coho but didn't get too many bites. Wind picked up and it was a bit sloshy while we BBQ our lunch (lamb chops and toasted buns)

Made it back to the head where winds/waves died down, trolled around the head with just 2 bites.

As we trolled from the head to possession point a stupid whale came near us. I turned the boat the other way and while popped out on the other side near us. I then turned again to head another direction to avoid it but it once again pupped up near but this time in front of us so I said "the heck with it" and turned around and headed the other way. Newf passed me laughing as he saw the whale around me and said "I thought you were trying to catch it" to which I yelled back "no thanks!"
Pulled up lines shortly after and had a very nice ride back. Strange how the waves/wind can kick up in one spot and not another. Ended the day with 2 clipped coho and a few crabs. No chinook to be seen.
[/QUOT

That was my fishing buddy yelling at you. Surprised you heard him over the noise of my 3 banger. It gives me a headache after 5-6 hours of trolling. All of these post about podding makes me dream but unfortunately not the boat style for that. We had quite the chuckle watching you trying to outmaneuver the whale. We ended the day with 3 clipped coho and my buddy kept one small chinook. Biggest coho weighed just over 8lbs. Also released 5 unclipped coho at the boat all of which seemed to be bigger fish. All fish on Skinny or Wee G’s.

As we trolled from the head to possession point a stupid whale came near us. I turned the boat the other way and while popped out on the other side near us. I then turned again to head another direction to avoid it but it once again pupped up near but this time in front of us so I said "the heck with it" and turned around and headed the other way. Newf passed me laughing as he saw the whale around me and said "I thought you were trying to catch it" to which I yelled back "no thanks!"

My mom had a great story about her dad hooking into a gray whale in Saanich Inlet -- in the days before downriggers when they used steel line. Apparently their 26' wooden launch went for a bit of a ride before they decided to cut the line.

Launched out of Cheanuh yesterday (Friday) at about 6:45 am. Fished Aldridge to the Trap in pretty tight to shore looking for springs until about 9. No luck with them. Headed out to 300’ of water looking for coho but only had 1 wild to the boat and 1 other bite. Very slow day! Off the water at 12:30. My neighbour was also out for 7 hrs that day and only caught 1 hatchery coho.

Launched at Esq 2:30pm with a lady friend and headed to Pedder as a few boats coming in we’re saying it was a slow day for them. Glass water made for a easy ride and dropped lines & headed up the wall. Within 5 mins we had a small 45cm clipped coho in the tub and 15 mins later another bigger clipped coho. Went out to the passage and turned around going back down the wall and a seal popped up behind the boat which caused some foul language outa my mouth the the rod was peeling line with no sign of it stopping so the knife had to be used to cut my losses. Retied and a few passes later a nice hit my friend was having trouble handling so I managed to solo net a nice 75 cm spring. Sunset ride home to esq on the glass to the crab trap which had 3 keepers. Floated for a bit watching the cruise ships and the sun set was the perfect ending to an afternoon adventure.

Attachments

• 636FFF96-2655-4437-B71C-1F02607A6851.jpeg
    636FFF96-2655-4437-B71C-1F02607A6851.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 66
Fished the harbour mouth looking for springs but no luck. Went out a bit further and got one wild coho. Good size. Safely released off the side of the boat. 8am-12. Didn’t see to many nets out.
Spoons and bait.

Back