Great day in sooke today off possession/ secrectary. Perfect weather and lots of action. 4 hatch coho, 1 chinook and about 12 wild coho let go. Bait was quickly depleted. Hot spoon was flamin hans gforce and old beat up green/white coho killer which has caught so many fish its barely recognizable but still works. 50-80 ft.

Out in front of the harbour today from9-1130. 7 nice coho alas all wild tho. 120’ of water 53&63 on the rigger. Couple more hits that didn’t stick. Spoons outfished bait for me.
Pretty much the same story for me today!

Friday was great. Had 8 springs. Biggest 25. had about 14 coho, only 2 were hatchery. Weather was good. Sunday Weather was 10 / 10. No Springs. Killer Whales x 2 sets came thru going west. 20 large coho biggest 13 lbs all Wild except 1 hatchery.

Mark and I have been buddies for years and yes they sure do work
Scott,

If that spoon is made from a beer can, presumably it is aluminium? In which case doesn't it tear especially where the clip goes though the small hole at the front?

I don't even use coho killers any more because the hook tears and rips out of whatever weak alloy they use in those...........

Scott,

If that spoon is made from a beer can, presumably it is aluminium? In which case doesn't it tear especially where the clip goes though the small hole at the front?

I don't even use coho killers any more because the hook tears and rips out of whatever weak alloy they use in those...........
It's never been an issue Roland, he uses ss wire in the middle and crimps the beer can to the wire.

Last edited:
Late report but we were out yesterday and pretty slow early morning so we moved to deeper water out from the head. 550-600ft. 11:30 to1:30 we released 16 coho at the boat and only landed 2 clipped coho. 65 -75 ft on the DR on different spoons but mostly herring aid skinny G Trolling back into the bay we released 1 small spring and my buddy kept one 6-7 lbs. Beauty of a day on the water. On another note when we were running at WOT for 4-5 minutes on the way in we notice excessive amount of steam/ smoke coming out of my exhaust. Slowed down and it was better but not gone completely. No high temp alarm. A few checks today and found it was the raw water impeller. Over 3000 hours and lots of impellers and this was the first failure. Broken pieces found at the inlet to heat exchanger so quick and easy fix. Ready to rumble again.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpeg
    IMG_1073.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 39
Out in the fog today around secretary not as busy as sunday. Rather sporadic but seemed every time a bite came on it was a double header. Only one hatch coho. Released some nice wild coho one big hooked nose mid teens. Bait outfished spoons today.

Out off Bechy head at dawn. Calm and clear. Humpbacks cruising the shoreline. Big double rainbow. Beautifull! Spent most of the morning in that same area as we were doing pretty good on low teen chinooks and with a few coho's. Kept two of 6 Springs and the only coho, of several that was clipped. Fished 30-55 ft. Bait ruled today.

Beauty of a day out there today. Early start with my granddaughter this morning. I’m and out at the head. Released 12 coho and one small spring at the side of the boat. Netted one as we thought it was clipped but no such luck. Lost a couple and nothing in the box for us today. Great day with my girl.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    551.6 KB · Views: 50
Yeah yesterday was beautiful down there. I haven't seen coho fishing this good in a long time. They are bigger and more plentiful.

The surprising find is the amount of small herring present. Fish are full of them.

Even some of the springs are still hanging around.

The coho were all over place anywhere from right at surface to 140ft down. Close in our way out didn't matter.

20240921_073551.jpg20240921_163633.jpg
20240921_074227.jpg
20240921_111208.jpg

Yeah yesterday was beautiful down there. I haven't seen coho fishing this good in a long time. They are bigger and more plentiful.

The surprising find is the amount of small herring present. Fish are full of them.

The coho were all over place anywhere from right at surface to 140ft down. Close in our way out didn't matter.

View attachment 110959View attachment 110960
View attachment 110962
View attachment 110963
Did you net those herring

View attachment 110959View attachment 110960
View attachment 110962
View attachment 110963
nice size coho

Back