Got my wife out of bed for a early whale watching trip. A little lumpier today but we hit the best of it. The whales cruised by as promised. No chinooks today, just 1/2 dozen coho, non clipped and Also a bucket full of little herring. Going to try drying them out for dog treats. A little small for bait rigging.

Last edited:
Late report—again. Grandson had a PD day at his school yesterday and wanted to go out so we had an early start. Stayed closer to the head and just made circles in 200 to 250 ft. Started with 4 hits that didn’t stick but got the next 4 to the boat but all wild coho. From 9:30 to 11am we did manage to get 3 clipped coho all at 65-70ft on the DR. Nothing very big with biggest at 6lbs. Our wilds were not as big as they have been the last few trips. Skinny G on one side and cop car on the other. The cop car out fished on this trip. We made 1 pass out to 450ft and picked up a 6lb spring. Lots of room on his card so he kept it. 5am get-ups must not be my grandsons thing. Another great day.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1101.jpeg
    IMG_1101.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1103.jpeg
    IMG_1103.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 121
Thick fog from Cheanuh marina all through the bay out past the head almost to the shipping lanes (as far as we got) - after we left the launch ramp didn't see any land all day - only about 40' visibility when we came back in around 3, once past the big orange ship, nothing else to see. Without the GPS, we'd still be out there!

Fishing was pretty good though, got about 9 big coho and lost another 3, all wild. Managed to find *one* hatch on way back. We were using coho killers but the fish were hitting them so hard they got all bent out of shape and we had our only two pearl ones snap off at the hook.

Changed to a cop car coho killer, worked well as did a white hoochie.

Pretty weird with all that fog though. Never burned off, just as soupy when we came in.

Last edited:
Thick fog from Cheanuh marina all through the bay out past the head almost to the shipping lanes (as far as we got) - after we left the launch ramp didn't see any land all day - only about 40' visibility when we came back in around 3, once past the big orange ship, nothing else to see. Without the GPS, we'd still be out there!

Fishing was pretty good though, got about 9 big coho and lost another 3, all wild. Managed to find *one* hatch on way back. We were using coho killers but the fish were hitting them so hard they got all bent out of shape and we had our only two pearl ones snap off at the hook.

Changed to a cop car coho killer, worked well as did a white hoochie.

Pretty weird with all that fog though. Never burned off, just as soupy when we came in.
I love Coho Killers because they always get hit, but I hate how flimsy they are. Thought I’d share what I do to mine to increase their durability without changing the action. The hook is tied directly to the leader with a small glow bead for spacing. I made tight loops through the holes at the tip and tail with mono and the leader passes through these loops so the lure can slide freely and takes zero abuse when the fish is on. The Coho Killer in the pics below got hammered by big coho all day last Saturday and you can see it’s still in perfect shape.

Attachments

• IMG_1474.png
    IMG_1474.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1475.png
    IMG_1475.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
I love Coho Killers because they always get hit, but I hate how flimsy they are. Thought I’d share what I do to mine to increase their durability without changing the action. The hook is tied directly to the leader with a small glow bead for spacing. I made tight loops through the holes at the tip and tail with mono and the leader passes through these loops so the lure can slide freely and takes zero abuse when the fish is on. The Coho Killer in the pics below got hammered by big coho all day last Saturday and you can see it’s still in perfect shape.
Great setup thanks a bunch! This will be my rig from now on.

Great idea. I've been thinking of how to double hook spoons the way hoochies are. This may do the trick.

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful idea. Will try 👍

So here are the broken coho killers - snapped off at the tail took the hook and tail with them.

After seeing Noon Treader's mod on these suckers, I tried "fixing" the broken lures. This is what I came up with.

Drilled a hole near the back and clipped off the front ring. After tying up some mono like NT's mod I thought I'd try making a tail out of thermoplastic ("Friendly Plastic") beads. You drop these into boiling water and they go clear, stick together and stay moldable for about a minute or so when they turn white again.
Anyway I thought maybe if I greased up my leader (butter) I could push the FP through the holes and embed the leader into it so it'd be tight but still slide. It did. Poor attempt at forming a tail but I doubt the coho will be looking that close. Next time out, gonna be first thing I rig. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20240925_142718388~2.jpg
    IMG_20240925_142718388~2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20240925_160256812_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20240925_160256812_HDR~2.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 153
Some interesting and good ideas here on the coho killers. I prefer weeG's or AP equivalent based on durability. Coho killers I look at like cost of anchovies. Use and discard. I prefer hoochies with single on swivel if they are biting those that day. The swivel solves the issue of the fish spinning. But some days spoons are the ticket.

So here are the broken coho killers - snapped off at the tail took the hook and tail with them.

After seeing Noon Treader's mod on these suckers, I tried "fixing" the broken lures. This is what I came up with.

Drilled a hole near the back and clipped off the front ring. After tying up some mono like NT's mod I thought I'd try making a tail out of thermoplastic ("Friendly Plastic") beads. You drop these into boiling water and they go clear, stick together and stay moldable for about a minute or so when they turn white again.
Anyway I thought maybe if I greased up my leader (butter) I could push the FP through the holes and embed the leader into it so it'd be tight but still slide. It did. Poor attempt at forming a tail but I doubt the coho will be looking that close. Next time out, gonna be first thing I rig. Wish me luck!
Snazzy rig!

Some interesting and good ideas here on the coho killers. I prefer weeG's or AP equivalent based on durability. Coho killers I look at like cost of anchovies. Use and discard. I prefer hoochies with single on swivel if they are biting those that day. The swivel solves the issue of the fish spinning. But some days spoons are the ticket.
Also, like AP spoons, West Coast Tackle little phat e is a big step up in quality from Gibbs.
Thicker, better paint and better hooks. Locally made in Vancouver by an awesome guy.

Another thumbs up for the AP spoons. Started fishing them this year around southern Vanisle and super happy with them - great action and they stand up very well compared to Gibbs or similar. After lots of use and fish, the worst wear I have seen after a season is a teeny bit of peeling of the "accent stickers" towards the hook where they get the most abuse. And saw on another thread where one fellow peeled the stickers off his to run straight chrome, so don't expect the fish care too much!

Last edited:
Another thumbs up for the AP spoons. Started fishing them this year around southern Vanisle and super happy with them - great action and they stand up very well compared to Gibbs or similar. After lots of use and fish, the worst wear I have seen after a season is a teeny bit of peeling on of "accent stickers" towards the hook where they get the most abuse. And saw on another thread where one fellow peeled the stickers off his to run straight chrome, so don't expect the fish care too much!
Wait until you have landed your 30th fish with one and must replace the hook. What a joke! ;)

Fished from the head out to 400+ feet of water. Got fish everywhere, especially the hour around 0900. Brought about 12 to the boat, lost a bunch and not one was clipped. Most were in the 5-7 lb range but one particular coho was no doubt pushing 15. 30 -45' seemed the ticket today.

Frustrating to think that the odds are a few of those probably won't make it. So much for reducing harvest. I guess these ratio's these are 'covid' fish. I'm speculating that letting us keep a unclipped fish earlier would have actually reduced mortality. Water under the bridge now.

Fished from the head out to 400+ feet of water. Got fish everywhere, especially the hour around 0900. Brought about 12 to the boat, lost a bunch and not one was clipped. Most were in the 5-7 lb range but one particular coho was no doubt pushing 15. 30 -45' seemed the ticket today.

Frustrating to think that the odds are a few of those probably won't make it. So much for reducing harvest. I guess these ratio's these are 'covid' fish. I'm speculating that letting us keep a unclipped fish earlier would have actually reduced mortality. Water under the bridge now.
I hope somebody from DFO reads this. Let 10 go to try to find one to keep. Kill 2-3? Common sense, people.

Back