Fished Sooke yesterday. Lot of nice size unclipped coho out there. Released 12-15 fish. No keepers today. A few of double headers. 65-75ft on riggers was best. Small green spoons. Caught fish from 200-400 ft of water.

Coho salmon (hatchery)2030cmBarbless Hook & Line4/8/-Open until Dec 31 (See Restrictions)
Coho salmon (wild)2030cmBarbless Hook & Line1/2/-Open until Dec 31 (See Restrictions)

Only 1 wild per day in each of area 19-3 and 20-5. Possession limit 2 wild.

Does this indicate that I can keep one wild I catch west of Race Rocks (20-5) and one I catch east of Race Rocks (19-3) all in the same day?

Only 1 wild per day in each of area 19-3 and 20-5. Possession limit 2 wild.

Does this indicate that I can keep one wild I catch west of Race Rocks (20-5) and one I catch east of Race Rocks (19-3) all in the same day?
How many would you have in your possession on the same day? 2.. Regs say 1 per day so my "guess" is DFO would give you a funny look and say nice try. But I've been wrong before.

How many would you have in your possession on the same day? 2.. Regs say 1 per day so my "guess" is DFO would give you a funny look and say nice try. But I've been wrong before.
Newf, that's not what the regs say. The regs say the possession limit is 2. That's exactly why I ask.

I called DFO today, and the agent on the line said that's a hard question and they would need to forward my call to a more specific department. I left a voicemail with that other department.

See screenshots below:

VICTORIA.png

SOOKE.png

Newf, that's not what the regs say. The regs say the possession limit is 2. That's exactly why I ask.

I called DFO today, and the agent on the line said that's a hard question and they would need to forward my call to a more specific department. I left a voicemail with that other department.

See screenshots below:

View attachment 111237

View attachment 111238

The regs have a possession limit which is double that of the daily limit. This is the number of fish that you can have in your possession when you are away from your place of permanent residence. So you can go on multi-day fishing trip and bring home your catch from 2 days.

You can't catch a keeper fish in every fishing area.

It is 4 per day in 20-5. The notice for this fishery went out several months ago. It is the same as every other year. The SFAB also has not been made aware of any changes. The only difference to fishery is to stay out of whale closure zone (yellow zone). That is new this year, and people should avoid being in there. Suggestion is to put it on your chart plotter.

Enjoy it. Will be out in next few days hopefully.....

1727809341951.png
1727809384295.png

Last edited:
Ok Kind of mental out there today, never seen as many boats out on a Tuesday!

Big group down by race rocks early on then masses of guys far offshore at the head. Looked way too busy way out there so went about halfway with no action and turned around and worked in about 300-400ft or so, closer to shore using cop car coho killers at about 50-60ft.

There were about 4 or 5 boats fishing around us and I saw most catch fish, even saw one guy in front of us pick up a double header. Around hi slack the bite came on for us and after landing our limit of good sized "wild" coho - a whole one each :D, figured the hatches were too few and far between to stick around so after a couple more released wilds, decided to head in and call it a day.

Way less action than last week in the fog!

Got out off Beechy this morning now that we can catch one wild per person. I only wish the controversy over how many hatchery we can keep was relevant :). Fished with the fleet out from 400 to 550 feet of water at depths of 20 to 100 feet on the ball and finally caught one nice wild at 49 feet on an anchovy that I put down in desparation. The 11;30 slack bite did not materialize for us. I think its time to put away the down riggers and think about some fall halibut. Have to say that August was the best in memory so I can't complain.

A much different report from Tsquared's.
We fished from 10-3:30 today Started at the Head and worked our way out to the fleet and back again, with some east west travel in between. We tried every lure in my tackle box, depths from 30 to 150 feet, fast, slow. Tried working the currents and tide lines when we could find them. The fish were far and few between. My daughter in law, who has proven herself to be a proficient fisher in the past, lost three in a row, one nice size fish close to the boat. We finished the day with three wilds from five to seven pounds, certainly not the quality or quantity of fish we saw last week. Most of the fish we caught were at 50 - 70 feet. 0 hatchery for us today.

Back