2024 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Sorry not a report just a question.
See a lot of guys talking about a boundary by china creek. Unsure where this is and is it a no fish zone. We head up for the salmon derby and sometimes fish in the town site area. Is this open or will be open, also been looking at cameras and don’t see the commercial fleet there.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Try having a look at the salmon regs for area 23:

map: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/chq-co/23-chq-jul-dec-eng.pdf

Reactions: MRW
Buddy and I have just come back from China Creek. Monday to Friday. Horrible rain and winds. Almost ruined the tarp, it turned over one tent. Parasailers did well for a couple afternoons.
Fishing was very slow for almost all in the area. I was here the 2 previous years and did way better!
I tried a 5" glow plug by silver horde, loaded with scent, for 2 days and got nothing, buddy tried his flasherless anchovie tricks to no avail also. Then we switched to bright flashers with chovies and got 3 strikes over the last 3 days. Landed an 11 and 17.5 lb. bucks.
Never saw the cleaning table busy, until late in the afternoon or just before dark when some boats would come in from someplace called Pill Point, some 40 minute trip down the inlet.

How is the fishing for springs around China Creek right now?
Bad. Towed chovies, hootchies, and plug around on sunday. Not a single bite. I'm usually pounding them this time of year. Debated going out for morning bite this morning but didn't bother. Hope it gets better. Weird year.

Buddy went out the am and got his 2. Both smaller, 7 and 11 lbs. Both on anchovies at 50'. Said he saw 2 other nets out the entire morning. Was at lone tree....Maybe setting up for a great derby weekend if the fish actually roll in, maybe a massive miss call by the feds and a total bust... If it hasn't picked up by Friday, I can't see it happening this year.

Anybody know the catch statistics for the last gillnetters and then seiners? I know the gillnetters I talked to said it was pitiful like 15 fish total.

1724955616156.png
1724956571614.png
One big fish, just two shots for comparison. Both Stamp camera's are plugged with fish right now.
I don't know the dimensions of that tunnel but that first fish filled the screen.

So there must be some in the channel somewhere.

Last edited:
from what i heard there was good fishing for chinook on the west side of the north island this year later than typical, so they could be late,

but also late fish never show

Yup the good ole they are late theory 😂😂😂
Wasn't last year they were early?

Well looking at the Stamp river camera it certainly looks like there are massive numbers of fish going up river mostly silvers so not many staging, going straight up? Lots of big surges of fish.
Watching for about 5 minutes or so you could estimate about 100+ or 20+ fish per minute and these have been going on for a couple of weeks but really have picked up lately. Rains?
Some huge Chinooks but that pic that fish was so big it couldn't even move it's tail very much and only the smallest fish could pass it by, an estimate 40 to 50 pounds easy. The whole fish couldn't fit in the pic only half.

Derby weekend will be interesting to see sizes entered and hopefully they have daily reports.

Fished yesterday 6-10 in front of the campsite. First boat we saw had a double header and lanes both nice size springs. We only got a nice size coho. Heard all the fish caught were first light. Also went up to stamp falls and saw all the fish that got away. Sure seemed like a lot of fish going threw and a lot of good size fish too.

From yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_7174.jpeg
    IMG_7174.jpeg
    386 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7172.jpeg
    IMG_7172.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 109
Rarely they are more than 7-10 days late otherwise they ain't coming
Some times (especially with the rain) the fish come up very deep and very fast, most times those are the fish you see up at the stamp , you don't even get a shot at those when sport fishing .

Back