2024 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Forecast is wrong only explanation. I hope not what it is. I could see if was slow inlet . But it's not even good in sound. Looks like that's it for me this year out there. Knock em dead guys.

I had work and a family commitment keep me off the water for much of August this year, which was painful at the time, but turns out it spared me burning gas and being frustrated with the lack of fish. Had a fun but lackluster trip to the sound on August long, and one Saturday in the inlet getting the gear wet this past weekend, but that's it (a lot less than I typically get out). Have been reading the mixed reports and getting laments from several of my fishing buddies over the past couple weeks.

However, just to offer a bit of hope, I've been out the last two mornings before work, and basically have had trouble keeping the gear in the water. And while it isn't rivaling the best days I've had the past few years-seeing every other boat on a fish, nets and flasher waiving constantly, and the chorus of hoots and cheers from across the water-I have been seeing other boats playing fish fairly regularly. Small sample size, but echos what I've heard from some other people on the dock.

Normally I'd give a more thorough report, but given the derby starts tomorrow I'll leave the details alone. Suffice to say I'm certainly not the most talented/experienced fisherman on the water, and I'm not doing anything revolutionary or fishing some secret spot; in the canal, typical gear, typical strategy. I haven't found anything with substantial size (I've been on the clock to get in early, so not really being choosy, just trying to boat a couple for the freezer), but it does seem to me like there are fish out there finally and it's shaping up to be a decent derby weekend in terms of action. Obviously I share the same concerns with this season being a weird one, but better late than never. Tight lines folks, see you on the water.

Was out this morning, better day today for us. 2 nice size coho and 2 springs plus missed 2 other fish. All fish on white hooches and AP spoons. That’s probably my last fishing in the inlet this year. Heading to Port McNeil Tuesday to fish off the beach for a week.

What won the derby?

458280892_10162524352314066_5857765292433745471_n.jpg

There was a time when the Alberni winner was always over 45 #!!! Oh how I miss those days even if we never caught anything big at Alberni!

If DFO could do us one small favour, it would be to get some big late run Springs from another system and stock them at Alberni.

Drewski

I was kind of shocked at just how small the "winners" have been the last few years.
Fondly remember entering springs well over 40 pounds and the real winner sometimes topped 50.

Miss those days...
Fish are eating chips instead of steak last few years, summer (July) fish where bigger like always(for my area)seams like August fish feeding on small needlefish and small herring, use to be normal to pull 3-5 large herring or pilchards out of fish belly, now the normal is a hand full of 2” little things

Last edited:
Fish are eating chips instead of steak last few years, summer (July) fish where bigger like always(for my area)seams like August fish feeding on small needlefish and small herring, use to be normal to pull 3-5 large herring or pilchards out of fish belly, now the normal is a hand full of 2” little things
Not as many herring, around a million or so fewer killed in washing.

I watched the Stamp and Sproat river cameras off and on this season, maybe a total of 20 hours from April to date.

Every now and then there are gigantic fish.
The last two weeks there have been some that filled the camera shot longer than the pic and so fat they can barely move their tails, must be 50+ as I don't know the dimensions to the tunnel shown.

Only watched maybe an hour this week and have seen a dozen or more. They plug the tunnel. One only showed half the fish one end to the other.

From Carolyn J:

And that's a wrap of the 2024 Salmon festival Derby! . What a wild and rocking festival. 1st place and overall top fisherman and winner of the $15,000 went to Sean Falkenberg of Surrey for his 28lb 8oz chinook. Winners for Monday were Dwight Dockendorff 21lb10 oz $5000. John Crawford 20lb12oz $2000 and Bruce Leyland 3rd $1000 for the day for his 19lb40z. Tyee club wrap up is this weekend. One mote derby to go. Tyee Club updates and changes to the leader board will be updated soon.

You nailed it

I was talking to a fella that worked the scales for the derby and there was a 31 and a 35 weighed in without buying tickets 🤦‍♂️

Back