2024 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

You never not buy a derby ticket if you’re going out……I listened to that once back in 1995 when my guest’s car broke down en route on the Hump and it sure paid off for me.
I’m all for buying tickets, they usually go to a good cause. My kid gets a ticket (who barely fishes) for our local derby each year, also. And both years she’s walked away with a random draw pick, with her choice from the prize table.

You never not buy a derby ticket if you’re going out……I listened to that once back in 1995 when my guest’s car broke down en route on the Hump and it sure paid off for me.
My first year in the derby I was with some buddies and I caught what is still today the biggest chinook I have caught, 39lb 8oz but my bud's thought it was smaller than that so weighed it in at Bamfield, turns out it would have been 2nd biggest that day but because weighed in there it didn't qualify. :(😭But I did get a $125 hidden prize🫠

My first year in the derby I was with some buddies and I caught what is still today the biggest chinook I have caught, 39lb 8oz but my bud's thought it was smaller than that so weighed it in at Bamfield, turns out it would have been 2nd biggest that day but because weighed in there it didn't qualify. :(😭But I did get a $125 hidden prize🫠
Many years ago I had a contender and had to run in from Bamfield to the “Official” weigh station. Wasted about 4 hours and burnt too much fuel just to find out later I was no longer a contender. I can never understand why the derby committee doesn’t trust the other weigh in stations. I stopped fishing the derby because most winners come from Barkley Sound and the run in and back to PA is way too long and gets more expensive every year.
My 2 cents
Stosh

Many years ago I had a contender and had to run in from Bamfield to the “Official” weigh station. Wasted about 4 hours and burnt too much fuel just to find out later I was no longer a contender. I can never understand why the derby committee doesn’t trust the other weigh in stations. I stopped fishing the derby because most winners come from Barkley Sound and the run in and back to PA is way too long and gets more expensive every year.
My 2 cents
Stosh
I have wondered if it is okay to hold the fish until the next day.

What runs are there now?
There still appears to be a huge number of various fish going past the Stamp River cameras. Looks like Chinook, Pinks, Coho and maybe even some Sockeye yet. Some are very dark but some are bright silver.
Only watch for a few minutes to see a hundred or so flash by.

What runs are there now?
There still appears to be a huge number of various fish going past the Stamp River cameras. Looks like Chinook, Pinks, Coho and maybe even some Sockeye yet. Some are very dark but some are bright silver.
Only watch for a few minutes to see a hundred or so flash by.
Late sockeye, coho, and chinook. Was by harbor quay marina on Friday and lots of sockeye were jumping still. Snorkeled the river on the 4th and saw lots of chinook and sockeye with some coho in the mix and a single pink. Pinks are strays and not seen often in the somass. Would be interested to see what you're calling a pink on the camera.

Late sockeye, coho, and chinook. Was by harbor quay marina on Friday and lots of sockeye were jumping still. Snorkeled the river on the 4th and saw lots of chinook and sockeye with some coho in the mix and a single pink. Pinks are strays and not seen often in the somass. Would be interested to see what you're calling a pink on the camera.
Was on the Great Central cams today. Piles and piles of sockeye, coho silver as ever, but no Chinook. Quite entertaining.

Back