Just got back from 5 days at Port Eliza Lodge fishing Esperanza. As always it was a great few days of friends laughter and fun fishing.
Got salmon mostly in the teens but a couple in the 20's as well. The gap was the best spot for us but also caught at inner Black when the wind was blowing hard (which was too often). Pin Rock was also productive when we could get there. Lings were around as well at both spots. We got offshore for Hali one day only and the group did well that day as well. Great time and as always Jim and Sue were the perfect hosts. See you in September.

Hi All, heading to Nootka for the first time. Super excited about the trip. Be there July 15-19. I know it might be a bit early but any advice on what spots might be the most productive at that time?
Will the inside spots be holding fish or will we have to go out?
TIA

Hi All, heading to Nootka for the first time. Super excited about the trip. Be there July 15-19. I know it might be a bit early but any advice on what spots might be the most productive at that time?
Will the inside spots be holding fish or will we have to go out?
TIA
Perfect timing for inside fish. We used to go in around the 10th. San Carlo, Camel, Beer can bay.
Gotta get Back there one day.

We left Critter Cove on Wednesday after 10 days of fishing. Off the start fish were found at Maquinna Rock, Wash Rock and Discovery. 40-60' feet on the downrigger using anchovy, white cuddlefish with a glow strip and blue/silver skinny g. Fish full of tiny herring and squid, if they had anything in the stomach. Mostly in the low to mid teen size. Skunked at Beano, Escalante, Burdwood and Camel Rock.

As the trip progressed it seemed the size of the new wave of fish did as well. The wind came up late in the morning most days and Wash Rock was our go to place with 3 fish over 20 lbs on the last days. Springs were showing up at Hoise and Coopte Points on the inside.

There used to be a color coded map for chinook like I’m finding for coho! Am I missing something. Trying to find out what happens July 14 as far as size and retention 1 mile out. Does it change again in August like before?

There used to be a color coded map for chinook like I’m finding for coho! Am I missing something. Trying to find out what happens July 14 as far as size and retention 1 mile out. Does it change again in August like before?
Yes -- the coho maps were posted later than usual, and DFO says the chinook ones will be posted - not sure when.

We’re in Esperanza, staying at Flynn’s Cove again, and Jim and Sue at Port Eliza have been very accommodating by flash freezing our fish for us. Ran in to Jeff from West Coast Fishing Tackle and he gave us a flasher to try. He’s such a solid guy! The flasher killed it so we bought a couple more, and his small spoons, at the Esperanza gas bar store. It made all the difference. The Chrome Zone and Chartreuse flashers with the Sex-E Sixty Nine and Herring Aid spoons. Buy them if you are coming here. You won’t be disappointed. That’s all we used today trolling and caught 8 chinook, 2 coho, a ling, rock fish and an under Hali at high rock. The chinook were all in the teens with the biggest at 21lbs. We were back at the dock by 130pm. The bigger fish are just starting to roll in.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpeg
    IMG_0978.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 77
Back