2024 Nanaimo Reports

Gave it a shot today, 5 wilds to get a hatch for supper 120-155 down in Horswell channel - coho killer and needle fish hootchie. One under spring. Was a little lumpy and the niece was not feeling very well so didn’t spend too much time. My boy was in the cuddy reading his book just like a regular day lol.
Crabs were all just barely under. Was nice to get out and enough action to keep the kids entertained.
Hope to give it a go first thing tomorrow morning - windy or what’s the best weather app for current conditions?
PredictWind app rarely lets me down. Very accurate.

Hmmm....headed out to Five Fingers yesterday aft and immediately caught a nice, wild coho that was released and unfortunately kept catching really small shakers which don't always announce their arrival. Something weird happened to me in the parking lot at Brechin. When I first hooked up my "new to me" boat trailer at home I wasn't sure that the trailer hitch had gone all the way down onto the ball. It kinda looked like it was. I gave it a good pull up and seemed to be on so locked the hitch down, put the safety chains on and hooked up the lights and drove to Brechin, launched and parked the truck and trailer. I also checked that the trailer hitch was still on the ball when I pulled out a bit of slack on the trailer winch strap. All looked good. When I came back in, my trailer tongue was sitting down on the pavement. Hmmm....nothing else looked out of place...the safety chains and trailer lights were still hooked up. Anyhow I undid the hitch lock and lifted the trailer hitch onto the ball making sure it went all the way down. Don't know how the trailer hitch got down onto to ground. Could someone have noticed it wasn't seated properly and set it down on the ground so I would notice it and put it back on properly? Dunno.

Ditched the kids with the cousins and took the wife out for an early morning hookup on Weds. Flat water, little whale show and double hatch on the first pass at entrance - unbeatable morning. Got our 4 hatch and a 90cm spring (released) to spice it up. 150-200’ on the rigger - coho killer and grand slam bucktail (took the spring). Didn’t find any slot springs but that was okay.

Attachments

• IMG_6025.jpeg
    IMG_6025.jpeg
    380.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9767.jpeg
    IMG_9767.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 145
I certainly wouldn’t recommend Environment Canada or Windfinder after today🤬🤬🤬🤬
Waited til early afternoon to run out to the North side of Gabriola with the wife based on winds that were supposed to die down from 5-15 SE to light for the afternoon/evening then turning to 5-15 NW later in the evening.
We fished two passes from the Grande to Whalebone with the wind and managed to boat four hatch out of six coho total - best ratio of the season!
With that done and the forecast being favourable we popped out to Entrance to find some springs ‘knowing’ even if it was a bit rugged it would only get better. Well, it didn’t …but after a couple of cohos and some missed hits we did get into one spring just as we were going to pack it in.
We’re only eating coho though because it ended up being a fat 86 cm scrapper that had to go back.
Use “Windy” it’s an app. There’s also a buoy off halibut bank that’ll show real-time wind (NOAA)

Hopefully it is calm on sunday. Going to take my son out again. Any recommendations on how to try for Coho with our little dingy? Looking for ideas.

Snuck out with a buddy after work tonight, 430-730. Started off fingers and hit a hatch coho (kept) on the green flasher and WCFT herring aid seconds after putting it down. Was still getting the second line down when it hit. Thought that was a good sign for some hot Coho action, but that turned out to be it for about an hour or so. One more wild coho in that time. Decided to troll in closer to shore and it paid off. A slot Chinook for each of us, off Piper's in about 120' of water with riggers at about the same number. Bracketed the slot... his was a 78 cm, and mine was a 63 cm. Broke his chinook cherry on the bigger one. That one came in on a black flasher with cop car hoochie and twinkle skirt. Mine was on the same green flasher and herring aid spoon as the coho earlier. Once we were limited on the springs tried trolling back over to fingers to pick up one more coho, but only found one small wild and a few shakers. Glad to get a buddy his first Chinook and he was grinning all the way home. We parked the boat at my place and he fileted while I cleaned up and flushed the motors, but he kept that 78 cm chinook whole to take it home and show off to his lady.

Attachments

• 20240808_170006.jpg
    20240808_170006.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20240808_185422.jpg
    20240808_185422.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 20240808_181346.jpg
    20240808_181346.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
3 hatch coho and 1 barely legal spring last night at thrasher between 6 and 9pm. Couldn’t find the bigger fish unfortunately but plenty of bait

tons of boats at thrasher
Few at entrance
Saw orcas between the 2 spots with the whale watching boat right over top of them.
Wonder if people are catching ?
Viewed from the ferry

tons of boats at thrasher
Few at entrance
Saw orcas between the 2 spots with the whale watching boat right over top of them.
Wonder if people are catching ?
Viewed from the ferry
In the morning at least the wind at Thrasher was laid down more than Entrance today.

Thrasher produced an insane bite at last light Fri night. Produced an absolute unit of a 78cm chinook on white hoochie at 90ft.

Definitely some good springs out front at the moment. Came back with an 'L' shaped hook after I already got my keeper spring and was fishing shallow for coho just after sunset. Saw a few pushing 80 cm at the ramp as well.

Released a 84cm spring off Entrance last night. Caught a few unders and a few coho shook off at the boat before I could ID them. I wouldn't say it was hot fishing though. Came in empty handed but it was a beautiful early evening for a fish.

Out today 10-2:30. Couldn't find the springs, but some nice Coho. Partner was using green glo flasher with 3" Irish Cream. I was using a green glo flasher with 3" no bananas. Brought home 3 hatch and let go 6 nice wilds. The wilds are a nice size and seem to fight so much better. Down deep for Coho 177 ft.

Beautiful day out there. Not many days you get to fish around Nanaimo on a nice sunny hot day after 11:00.

I'm starting to think there are still some good numbers of chinook out there, but they're getting a little more picky. Most of our fish are coming right on a tide change or dusk. Anyone try chovies locally? That's usually my go-to under those late season conditions.

I'm starting to think there are still some good numbers of chinook out there, but they're getting a little more picky. Most of our fish are coming right on a tide change or dusk. Anyone try chovies locally? That's usually my go-to under those late season conditions.
Boxed 6 springs in 2 short trips to Thrahser area this week. Tue & Fri am, both times right around the morning low slack tide.
All on herring, and all had 5-6” herring in their bellies.

Wind was to high this weekend for the rubber green machine.
What are the chances that next Saturday will be worth us heading out in front of shack rock or neck point? Are they still around?

Back