2024 Nanaimo Reports

What's anyone's experience on FOs getting worked up over transport regs? Given that pretty much every fishing resort I've been to completely ignores them and packages fish into 2-3 lb vacuum sealed bags that would be impossible to identify I can't imagine it's a high priority.
Lodges that have licenced processors have different rules for that. I'll tell you from talking to several fo's that simply chopping the tail off your catch at the cleaning station is a great way to lose your fish and get a hundred and something dollar ticket. Everyone does it but if the fish cops are there and see it ya your getting a fine.

Lodges that have licenced processors have different rules for that. I'll tell you from talking to several fo's that simply chopping the tail off your catch at the cleaning station is a great way to lose your fish and get a hundred and something dollar ticket. Everyone does it but if the fish cops are there and see it ya your getting a fine.
Thanks for the response. I wonder how fo's can prove that you haven't been home between fishing and cleaning; of course they can't unless they see you pull your boat out of the water and head straight to the cleaning station. Oh well.

If any of you have massive beef on this we do have an officer attend out sfac meeting in the fall. You can ask the question at the meeting directly.

It's been said many times that the tail should be left on etc. The reason being is that Nanaimo does have minimum length measurement so officer do have to verify.

Anything you can make simpler for them makes it easier for you.

It is good they are checking but I am bit disappointed to hear though tickets are being handed out. There are some stakeholders that would love to exploit that info to close our fishery. Just keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I wonder how fo's can prove that you haven't been home between fishing and cleaning; of course they can't unless they see you pull your boat out of the water and head straight to the cleaning station. Oh well.
While I agree the regs aren't perfect, that's why there's a possession limit and possession rules. I think possession must mean transporting new catch to place of residence which does unfortunately allow for grey questions like: "if I'm transporting a fresh fillet that was caught and processed last week from my fridge to my buddies house, am I getting a ticket if stopped by DFO and it doesn't have a tail? How do they know it wasn't bought at the supermarket and vaccum sealed separately? Wonder how much reasonable suspicion leeway officers get to use. Interesting stuff.

Fished Entrance yesterday pretty much from first light to 4pm or so. Pretty lumpy holdover waves from the night before when we first got out, but it calmed down after a couple hours and was downright pleasant after lunch. Tried one tack up the back side of Gabriola in about 120 FOW without a sniff, so stuck to Entrance reef the rest of the day. Lots of wild coho, some of them quite fat but not that much of a fight given their size. Did manage to find two hatch eventually, but they were much smaller than the wilds. As for chinook not much luck there, only shakers and two on the larger end of undersize to the boat and gaff released. Had one pin popper that took me on a good run for a couple minutes, felt like a good size chinook but alas it came off before making it to the surface, so can't say for sure. Depths and lures were all over the place, but white seemed to be the best colour with a white flasher/white hoochie setup getting the most consistent action. That said, we got hits and fish on plugs and spoons as well. 602 colours mostly. Didn't try bait. Fish anywhere from 133' to 44' on the rigger. We were hugging the reef and fishing just above the bait when we saw it, or out in front of the island bait was shallower so we were too. Never did try out in the deeper water east of the reef in the ferry lanes - but saw lots of other boats out there. Wonder how they did?

Well, I'm far from an expert on coho; despite fishing chinook hard around here for the last 20 years it's only been the last 2 that I was finding enough clipped to make it worth it to target them. That said, since you don't seem to be getting other responses, so I'll tell you what I know.

Fish fast and keep the leaders relatively short.
Keep moving; there are no 'honey holes' as you say. Fish can be tight to Hudson Rock or Neck Point one day and past the last Finger the next. Snake holds fish at times, despite almost nobody fishing there.
Clipped fish can be mixed in with unclipped or are sometimes in different locations or depths. If you want fish to bonk sometimes it's tricky to figure out how long to stay in one spot before you move away from good action with unclipped: for me usually 3-5 unclipped in succession.
Not sure if you have a sounder (I'd get one) but if you're seeing bait balls deeper than you can bucktail and not getting any, I'd move to plan B and try jigging.
Dawn, dusk, and tide changes are productive, though cohos through summer are less reliant on bite times. I'd suspect as they get closer to spawning in the fall this may change, but haven't tried enough to say for sure.
I have hit feeder chinook big enough to keep through Sep and Oct, so you may have a bit of good by-catch while you're out there.

Best of luck
Thanks a lot for the info.
Much appreciated :)

Fished Entrance yesterday pretty much from first light to 4pm or so. Pretty lumpy holdover waves from the night before when we first got out, but it calmed down after a couple hours and was downright pleasant after lunch. Tried one tack up the back side of Gabriola in about 120 FOW without a sniff, so stuck to Entrance reef the rest of the day. Lots of wild coho, some of them quite fat but not that much of a fight given their size. Did manage to find two hatch eventually, but they were much smaller than the wilds. As for chinook not much luck there, only shakers and two on the larger end of undersize to the boat and gaff released. Had one pin popper that took me on a good run for a couple minutes, felt like a good size chinook but alas it came off before making it to the surface, so can't say for sure. Depths and lures were all over the place, but white seemed to be the best colour with a white flasher/white hoochie setup getting the most consistent action. That said, we got hits and fish on plugs and spoons as well. 602 colours mostly. Didn't try bait. Fish anywhere from 133' to 44' on the rigger. We were hugging the reef and fishing just above the bait when we saw it, or out in front of the island bait was shallower so we were too. Never did try out in the deeper water east of the reef in the ferry lanes - but saw lots of other boats out there. Wonder how they did?

I fished Entrance yesterday on the high slack. Lines in the water for about an hour and a half. Got a few coho similar mix as you reported. We got into a few good-sized springs. They were all caught on anchovies fished in about 200-220 of water with 220-250 on the riggers. There is much less bait on the bottom than in past weeks. I heard French Creek was amazing this weekend. More fish should be coming.

I fished Entrance yesterday on the high slack. Lines in the water for about an hour and a half. Got a few coho similar mix as you reported. We got into a few good-sized springs. They were all caught on anchovies fished in about 200-220 of water with 220-250 on the riggers. There is much less bait on the bottom than in past weeks. I heard French Creek was amazing this weekend. More fish should be coming.
Thanks for that intel. Might have to give it a try in deeper water next time... don't think I've fished deeper than 180' on the riggers ever - I only have 1106's.

Thanks for that intel. Might have to give it a try in deeper water next time... don't think I've fished deeper than 180' on the riggers ever - I only have 1106's.
Same as me. Never had any issues running 15s that deep. The key as always it to find the bait, mark it on your chart and work it. Harder at 200ft deep but pays off.

Was out at Thrasher last week and kept throwing aggressive shakers back at all depths to 150 feet. Decided to go to 220 to 250 in depths from 300 to 600. 15 lb. marble spring, and 3 hatchery coho (including one at > 8 lbs.) in very short order. If you're getting nothing but shaker spring and coho go deep in deep water and use white hoochies with the flashing LED plug inside.

Some good springs in front of Nanaimo yesterday on bait. After all the guests and kids and visitors and first-timers over the summer, it sure is nice to go back out with experienced buds. Half the work and twice the productivity- just pure efficiency. I could not be a charter captain.

Some good springs in front of Nanaimo yesterday on bait. After all the guests and kids and visitors and first-timers over the summer, it sure is nice to go back out with experienced buds. Half the work and twice the productivity- just pure efficiency. I could not be a charter captain.
Yes they are liking the anchovies now

I tried to go fishing at Neck Point yesterday aft and the wind had come up so after a quick loop I headed back. Today was beautiful out there. I didn't see anyone bringing in any fish however I had non-stop action. I was fishing deep with anchovies. Holy smokes - I haven't fished bait for a few years and it took me a few minutes to get over the sticker price shock of anchovies. I was pretty busy. I did catch and release two wild cohos. One was huge and I thought it was a legal Spring because of its size until I got a closer look at it. White gums, etc. Lousy pic but I was trying to quickly get it back in the water. The other coho was much smaller.Coho.jpg

Great fishing out front today. It was about a solid two hour full-on bite from when I got out there at 7:45 to about 10. There are a lot of feeders off Neck Point right now in the 6-8lb range and still a lot of coho, many of which are wild. Released about a dozen good sized wild coho of which three were big hook nosed northerns. 125'-150' with 5" chartreuse spoons seemed to be the ticket today for us. Hootchies were not producing consistently and no big fish today, but man oh man days like today really bring on the fishing fever!

Quick fish this morning 7-8.30 in front of The Grande, hit a 10lb right away and then caught a nice green and striped Chum. First time ever catching a Chum around Gabriola waters
That spot may become the next Brown’s Bay! Chum show up in good numbers in our area but usually don’t bite and need to be gill netted. Good for you and thanks for sharing the excitement.

Great fishing out front today. It was about a solid two hour full-on bite from when I got out there at 7:45 to about 10. There are a lot of feeders off Neck Point right now in the 6-8lb range and still a lot of coho, many of which are wild. Released about a dozen good sized wild coho of which three were big hook nosed northerns. 125'-150' with 5" chartreuse spoons seemed to be the ticket today for us. Hootchies were not producing consistently and no big fish today, but man oh man days like today really bring on the fishing fever!
Somewhere in this book, Gaunt mentions research showing a hoochie with a bit of herring or anchovy strip impaled on the hook performs better for cohoes late in the season.

Back