2024 Nanaimo Reports

Wind was to high this weekend for the rubber green machine.
What are the chances that next Saturday will be worth us heading out in front of shack rock or neck point? Are they still around?
I've hit them there in past years into the first week of September. Most of my success has been shallower and fish are often darkening up; I'd guess some Nanaimo River fish in there.

a little while back I saw a post of someone looking for some salmon roe, but alas I cannot find his number, anybody remember that post.

I have fresh roe.

Nobody has been getting out with all the rain this week? Thinking of giving it a shot tomorrow morning but no idea what this early rain will have done to the fishing.

I think this season is making me feel we really need a decent opportunity when the majority fish are here in our season in late spring. Last year was a lot better later. This year not so much.We didn't have this rain though. 😑

I haven't been out locally myself in a couple weeks - I guess since my last report here on Aug 8th. Last year I had good days until the 3rd week of September - all be it mostly Coho. Like you said though, last year the rains held off much longer. This current weather pattern sure is odd for August. No idea what it will mean for the rest of the season. Guess I'll just have to launch and find out.

Answered my own question from few posts back today. Got out for the morning through to about an hour after high tide. Fairly slow for us, at least in terms of fish boated. Every coho we brought in was a wild, couldn't buy a hatch. Only one confirmed chinook. Nice one that may or may not have challenged the upper limit of the slot. Lost it near the boat unfortunately so will never know for sure. A couple other good hits and long line releases that could have been chinook but didn't put eyes on them. At least I don't have any blood to scrub off the deck I guess?

Went out and fished the hook at thrasher yesterday. It was a quick run out, only had the rods in from about 1:30 till 3:00.. Got two nice chinook to the boat but fumbled the solo net job by myself both times. Just after drying my tears I was able to net a nice clipped coho.

All fish caught in 120-160 at 90 on the riggers. Skinny G Herring Aids with long 6 foot leaders.

Fish are still out there for sure.

Finished work early today, went out and fished in the rain. 74cm white and 2 hatchery coho in short order off Gabriola. 131’ for the spring, 69’ for the second coho and the first hit on tue first drop, somewhere around 30’. A bent, paint peeling skinny g for the spring and one coho, small green flash fly got the other.

Finished work early today, went out and fished in the rain. 74cm white and 2 hatchery coho in short order off Gabriola. 131’ for the spring, 69’ for the second coho and the first hit on tue first drop, somewhere around 30’. A bent, paint peeling skinny g for the spring and one coho, small green flash fly got the other.
I need some of your luck

I need some of your luck
I share your pain!
This year, I have stopped counting the number of unclipped coho I released as I’m well over 30. I boated only 2 clipped one so far. Last year, I caught mostly clipped fish, so over the years, it will all balance out…Keep fishing to even the odds!

Hi guys - on Friday we'll be heading out from Ladysmith and making our first ever trip out to the SE side of Gabriola / Northern tip of Valdes. I won't ask for specific hotspots but was curious if the NE side of Valdes is particularly productive or if our time is better spent around the smaller islands immediately east of Gabriola. TIA

I share your pain!
This year, I have stopped counting the number of unclipped coho I released as I’m well over 30. I boated only 2 clipped one so far. Last year, I caught mostly clipped fish, so over the years, it will all balance out…Keep fishing to even the odds!
Did you know Washington state by as shut down the salmon fishery off the Columbia because they have caught their coho quota? At least we can still fish. Small blessing indeed

Managed to get out front tonight with a little break in the wind and got our 2 mid-slot springs near Hudson Rocks. Threw back an 85 cm to go make more babies, a few other small springs, and an unclipped coho. All 3 mature chinooks were starting to darken up; not much longer to go, but we've had a productive season, so can't complain.

Lots of coho off the flat top islands.
Anyone finding any chinook around?
Went out for a couple of hours again near Hudson Rocks and Fingers last night. First skunk in ages for me (just as the regs loosen up). Did get into a bunch of unclipped coho, so had a pleasant and busy night though.
Entrance is usually worth a go in the first week of Sep, so might get out there later in the week.

Got out yesterday and today for the derby. Yesterday morning fished off Nanaimo near Horswell channel. Crazy amount off coho. Must have caught 10 hatchery to 4 wild. Kept our 4. Biggest almost 7lbs. They hit anything and any depth, could not get a spring. Went to Entrance to for a couple hours to try and find springs but no luck.

Today went to Thrasher to be closer to the derby. Lots of coho again. One 12 lb spring and one smaller which we released. Some big wild coho. Probably pushing 10lbs.

First light bite both days was crazy. Hard to keep lines down.

The tack from Clark Rock to Neck Point in about 120ft of water found us two springs this morning, 75cm and 77cm. Both close to bottom, 111 to 123 on the rigger. Two other confirmed chinook long line released, and a few good hits that we didn't get a look at. 2 hatch coho bonked as well. This was all before 9:30am. Bite slowed right down after that. All chinooks and 1 of the coho were picked up on a tooth marked old plug. The other coho was on a Pal Diamond Lance spoon. Dummy flasher under the plug, the spoon was naked.
We got skunked last week on flashers with spoons and hoochies, so decided to switch up the tactics today.

1000002239.jpg

Back