2024 Nanaimo Reports

Does that include Clarke Rock? Where is the info on this? Looked on the gov. site and couldn't find. Me no understand.
Thanks
Our info for Area 17 is here, and the PDF maps are available for download. There should also be info at Brechin ramp posted up. If there isn't let me know.

1721868497205.png

Our info for Area 17 is here, and the PDF maps are available for download. There should also be info at Brechin ramp posted up. If there isn't let me know.

View attachment 108549
Thanks for posting this. I’ve always thought about giving Pylades and Stuart channel a try. Guess I better hurry up if I want to. Totally unaware of these Aug 1 closures. Thanks again

Thanks for posting this. I’ve always thought about giving Pylades and Stuart channel a try. Guess I better hurry up if I want to. Totally unaware of these Aug 1 closures. Thanks again
I was out in Stuart channel yesterday and today. Yesterday got 3 spring to the boat, biggest 60cm, today nothing, not a bite.

View attachment 108549

Nice to see that the DFO maps are as helpful has the BC hunting Reg maps. The area being discussed(Snake to Fingers to Green Can to Jack Point) says to see Map 2. You scroll down to Map 2 and it doesnt actually show the whole area....

Took Calgarian grandchildren out to Five Fingers for a couple hours late aft yesterday. Nice out there. No springs. Three wild coho so they got to experience catch and release and really enjoyed the outing 100-120' small herring aid. Quite a few boats but didn't see too many on their rods.

Good Morning All! Anybody out there in the Thrasher area that can report on the sea state? I see the Entrance winds at 17 at 6:00 am and 15 to 18 from 2:00 am so that almost always means pretty bumpy out there but forecast is for it to lay down…

Good Morning All! Anybody out there in the Thrasher area that can report on the sea state? I see the Entrance winds at 17 at 6:00 am and 15 to 18 from 2:00 am so that almost always means pretty bumpy out there but forecast is for it to lay down…
I would suggest downloading the WindAlert App, shows you the stations on land and water. Hasn’t completely laid down, still a bit of a chop.

I would suggest downloading the WindAlert App, shows you the stations on land and water. Hasn’t completely laid down, still a bit of a chop.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out. I have been using BigWaveDave which also shows the current wind reading at all of the land and sea wind stations. We did come across today from up the Fraser and it was as expected rough. Sandheads was rough and sloppy so we headed across to Thrasher but after about 2 nm we bailed and went back to Sandheads to try for coho there until the Strait laid down. We had lots of coho action almost immediately and mostly wilds but we did retain one hatch coho. We were fishing in 4 foot breaking waves at Sandheads which is typical so much of the time. No chinook at Sandheads which was surprising. So when the white horses stopped we headed across in my 18.5’ aluminum boat and pounded our way across. It did get a little better the closer we got to Thrasher and it did lay down nicely eventually. We got our 3 hatch coho right away even tho we were doing our best coho avoidance strategy. The coho we got today at Thrasher were bigger than the ones a few weeks ago - they are growing rapidly it seems. We then tried bouncing bottom at Grande area but only hooked into a few more wild coho. The ride back across was pretty good and fast. No chinook hook ups today at all. As others have mentioned , before July 15 it sure was easier to catch them!

Fished Fingers this afternoon and boated a coho and released a few wild then decided to head over and fish Snake Island for the first time. What a great spot to fish. I think it is my new favorite! Fished the 300-400 foot contour along the west side and had consistent action with a 4" Pink Sink spoon producing best at around 200'. Undersized springs, wild cohos, hatch cohos, cod. And very few boats compared to the gaggle at Fingers. Waters seemed productive moving from the deeper wall into the shallows at the north end. If I had more time I would have chucked out a few plugs to see what hogs were around down deep.

Fished Fingers this afternoon and boated a coho and released a few wild then decided to head over and fish Snake Island for the first time. What a great spot to fish. I think it is my new favorite! Fished the 300-400 foot contour along the west side and had consistent action with a 4" Pink Sink spoon producing best at around 200'. Undersized springs, wild cohos, hatch cohos, cod. And very few boats compared to the gaggle at Fingers. Waters seemed productive moving from the deeper wall into the shallows at the north end. If I had more time I would have chucked out a few plugs to see what hogs were around down deep.

Fought the winds yesterday from 7:00 til noon and no matter where we went, Thrasher area behind the flat tops, Entrance, the Grande, the waves were angled crossways to our tack. I normally wouldn't have bothered on a Saturday especially considering the forecast but my guests could only get out on a weekend. All that effort only managed to get several wild coho and a similar number of undersized chinook to the boat.
We decided to try a tack or two inside and immediately got a couple of undersized Chinook and one 62.5cm keeper that was a nice football.
We were going to turn around for another pass when the occupants of a small boat near us started waving their paddles. Their motor wouldn't start so we towed them back to the Cedar boat launch. That was it for fishing because we just had enough time left to retrieve the prawn traps before heading home for a previous commitment. At least we had a nice haul of jumbo spot prawns.

Unfortunately I haven’t been out as much as I would like since opening day and this report is a little late but better than nothing I suppose. Catered to some out of town guests on the 15th and 16th, fished horsewell to pipers on the 15th and managed 3 springs, tried jigging at snake and picked up 2 more before we wrapped it up.

IMG_5675.png
On the 16th we hit entrance and managed 2 nice springs and 7 hatchery Coho. Also lost several really nice chinook that day as the guests hadn’t fished before and the term “let the fish run” didn’t sink in whatsoever. Sorry no pic for that day.

Got out with MikePA on his sled Thursday evening. Decided to hit entrance, we hit two nice springs, a fat tank right on the nose at 80cm and another slim Jim at 79. We released a third spring in the mid 70s and decided to call it a night. That was a turn and burn, I think we only fished an hour and a half.

IMG_5662.jpeg

Friday afternoon hit entrance again. Fishing was absolutely lights out. We hit multiple double headers and released several over slot. Decided to drop a butterfly jig on the reef and bonked a beauty ling on the first drop, couldn’t seem to do anything wrong, what a great day on the water.

IMG_5671.jpeg

@chille51 and I fished sat evening and scratched up a barely legal spring off the grande, one hatchery coho and a couple wilds around thrasher.

I got my arse outta bed for first light this morning and straight away had a fat 77cm marble spring on board, green and white skinny g that was bent and peeling paint after one fish, just off the flat tops. Looked around for coho, and found a school of all wilds, stop counting at 6. Off to work for 8.

Went out to Thrasher last two days. Only a couple of boats around except us. We had three guys on board and we got our three slot size springs in about 2 hours both days. We lost count of the unclipped Coho and kept 4 clipped ones. Chinook were all between 70cm and 80cm.....we were pretty happy with the results. Fishing in 120 ft, DR's at 90 ft. Herring Aid skinny G's on both sides with 5-6 foot leaders.

Back