2024 Nanaimo Reports

Roger. Just a note for all of you as an FYI.

It's hard for us at Sport Fishing Advisory 17 to help open up any of these areas if you don't turn the heads in. On top of the DNA data we collect through AVID angler program, the heads, and creel are just as important.

I often at Brechin see a bunch of coho heads at cleaning station not turned in. Real simple the freezer and tags are right there next to cleaning station, so no excuse.

At this stage of the game it's really important to do that. We all know there is politics preventing our area from opening when it should be open in springtime when it is our prime time fishing season. And be nice the creel surveyor. We need them to collect data.

Thanks guys will be out this week as well....
As a newbie, I was somewhat aware of the head recovery program but didn't really appreciate the importance. In the past we've kept heads for our crabbing but we'll make sure we participate going forward.

As a newbie, I was somewhat aware of the head recovery program but didn't really appreciate the importance. In the past we've kept heads for our crabbing but we'll make sure we participate going forward.
You could use the heads in the trap to bring in some dungees before turning them in. In my experience, one drop in the crab trap doesn't damage the head all that much. Just make sure you've filled out the info and know which head is which. I've only done this when I have one head to submit.

And that’s a wrap! Enjoyed Nanaimo and fished the last 3 days. Possession limits on nice springs and hatchery coho.

We got all our fish off the entrance island shelf. Whatever you want to call it. It was my first time fishing this area in over 10 years. Very solid!

Be safe out there fellas

Couple nice coho and springs 77, 74 from this morning. Had to wait a bit inbetween bite times but turned on around the morning tide change. Very small 2” spoon is out performing my trusty 3.5” spoon by at least 4 to one last number of days. Getting the coho a bit deeper these days 140-170 and springs 140-195. Interesting thing this year vs last couple is the lack of bait in the stomachs of the springs. Last couple years they’ve been stuffed with 6-7” herring. Not one spring I’ve bonked since opening day has had anything in its stomach. And yet most have been quite fat. So not sure what that’s about, haven’t seen the huge bait balls that were around last year and year before either. Also noticing a huge percentage of the chinook this year are clipped. IMG_4395.jpegIMG_4399.jpegIMG_4400.jpeg

Can see what you guys were going on about bait. Little different this year I see.

Fished for about 4 hours in morning to mid afternoon today started off fingers in the slop. Was tired of it so went around searching for bait super close in with structure.

Found some nice springs close in and shallow. Released one and lost another. Picked up hatchery coho good size. All the coho were 120-140ft, and were all over the place. Deep and shallow didn't matter. The springs were 35ft to 50ft in 100 feet water.

All on spoons.

Out this morning first thing till 10am. One hatchery keeper spring, one large wild coho, and few shakers. Few good hits and a lost decent fish to a broken leader. Fished 5 fingers to Pipers area. Tried all sorts of gear. Skinny gee got the keeper, white hootchie got couple hits then was lost.

Massive amounts of bait off Hudson Rocks. Boiling on the surface at times. Just seemed like the bite never really came on. Beautiful morning out thereIMG_3095.jpeg.

The launch was an absolute **** show. Extremely busy and low tide. Waited almost 30 min to be able to retrieve the boat. Very surprised I didn’t see a fight.

2 slot Springs in 30 mintutes at the Grande to Waterfall this afternoon. 165 feet of water, lines at 160 and 145. Tiny 3” Irish Creame was the ticket today.
Can I ask why some people call it "The Grande" and not just Grande? Not that it matters really. I'm just a crazy person, so it's bothering me.

Can I ask why some people call it "The Grande" and not just Grande? Not that it matters really. I'm just a crazy person, so it's bothering me.
Not Sure, I’ve Known it as The Grande for 30 years. A lot of strange smelling hippies on Gabriola, maybe that has something to do with it.

Out this morning first thing till 10am. One hatchery keeper spring, one large wild coho, and few shakers. Few good hits and a lost decent fish to a broken leader. Fished 5 fingers to Pipers area. Tried all sorts of gear. Skinny gee got the keeper, white hootchie got couple hits then was lost.

Massive amounts of bait off Hudson Rocks. Boiling on the surface at times. Just seemed like the bite never really came on. Beautiful morning out thereView attachment 108398.

The launch was an absolute **** show. Extremely busy and low tide. Waited almost 30 min to be able to retrieve the boat. Very surprised I didn’t see a fight.
What launch ?
McDonald beach in Richmond was a gong show yesterday as well . Add the low tide in and it sure gets messy . Some people should not be operating a water craft ….

I was under the assumption that Thrasher in 29- 3,4,5 was closed till august 1. Dog map says otherwise, I’m confused.

Attachments

• IMG_2790.png
    IMG_2790.png
    528.6 KB · Views: 42
Your assumption was correct; the white areas are as described in the Salmon section of the different management areas (29-2,3,4,5 around Thrasher)
29-2 is open as of July 15th but 29-3,4,5 aren't open until Aug 1st and then only west of the imaginary line that excludes the outside of Porlier Passage altogether until Sept 1st
Simple, right?

Last edited:
Back