2024 Nanaimo Reports

what type of rod/reel set up do you run been looking to get more into jiggying for salmon.

I'm using one of the red coloured okuma spinning rod and reel combos from the harbour chandler. It was $200 with line and I couldn't be happier with it. Spinning rod was a big improvement over bait cast IMO.

I'm using one of the red coloured okuma spinning rod and reel combos from the harbour chandler. It was $200 with line and I couldn't be happier with it. Spinning rod was a big improvement over bait cast IMO.
Agreed. I like to cast toward the direction the boat is drifting, jig it a bit while the lure sinks then retrieve it once you drift past it. You can’t really do that with a level wind.

Towing my boat up this weekend and will be set up at the marina for 10 days. Hoping to see the gang and hit the opener for retention!

Is the expectation there will be some sort of Chinook retention come July 15th or is it still up in the air?

For those you have been fishing lately, where would be a good place to start tomorrow? Near the bottom? Mid water? Or find bait?

One spring and lost a few springs (or coho large enough to take a few good runs). Released a bunch of un clipped coho as per usual lately. The chinook was full of sand lance. Green and white hootchie on the bottom. The 2 we lost were on a small skinny g.

One spring and lost a few springs (or coho large enough to take a few good runs). Released a bunch of un clipped coho as per usual lately. The chinook was full of sand lance. Green and white hootchie on the bottom. The 2 we lost were on a small skinny g.
Where at and how is the fishing at the five fingers and entrance

Back