2024 Nanaimo Reports

We fished Grande this evening for a few hours. 2 wild coho gaff released and one approx 16 pound chinook gaff released. Lost one and no idea what it was, I’m guessing a wild coho. On a white flash fly and a white hootchie at 70 feet in 200 feet of water. Weeds were in the shallower water. Absolutely beautiful evening. We will be on the hunt for the elusive hatch coho tomorrow morning!

Got out yesterday via Ladysmith launch. Headed over to Porliier where it was vey calm. No coho to the boat but two springs, both easily released next to the boat. One was in the 15-18 pound range.

Got our limit of hatch in 2 Hours this morning. Released 4 wilds and long line released several others. Was pretty rough out there so fishing south was much better. No chinook that we identified, we could have lost one or two chinook but I’m guessing the ones we lost were also coho. One double header which was pretty chaotic in the swells. Great fun!

Fished around thrasher last night, windy but manageable, marked an obscene amount of bait and fish were very active. Came home with 2 hatchery after about 1.5hrs.

Attachments

• 0551ED5C-0720-477E-9435-98AB3736F3D2.jpeg
    0551ED5C-0720-477E-9435-98AB3736F3D2.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 83
Fished the Fingers from 1-3 pm.

Was pretty much non stop coho action.

Thanks to Unreel for the depths

Fished plugs for the last 45 minutes but no Chinook action
What seemed to be the best depths?

Went out this evening for a couple hours and it seemed quite slow. Fished Out deep off the fingers with the crazy amount of other boats.

What seemed to be the best depths?

Went out this evening for a couple hours and it seemed quite slow. Fished Out deep off the fingers with the crazy amount of other boats.
120-150. Glow needlefish hootchie with a Mylar insert and a 4 inch chrome/chartreuse stripe coyote spoon for the better quality cohos. In the deeper water where the boats were.
Maybe fishing the low slack tide helped

120-150. Glow needlefish hootchie with a Mylar insert and a 4 inch chrome/chartreuse stripe coyote spoon for the better quality cohos. In the deeper water where the boats were.
Maybe fishing the low slack tide helped
Thanks for that. I was trying shallower in the rigger.

Was a beautiful evening for dinner on the boat.

Hit a couple nice springs today at the fingers. I was using plugs. Hits on a green herring style plug and a white plug.
Managed to lose my favourite plug trying to release one without taking it out of the water. Hit my dummy flasher on the cannon ball and cut my leader.

Went out jigging in the Nanaimo area last night. Pretty spectacular fishing with a dozen fish to the boat in a little over an hour. Small jigs worked best. Pretty even split between cohos and chinooks. The biggest spring was 85cm.
what type of rod/reel set up do you run been looking to get more into jiggying for salmon.

Two hatchery coho today let some small springs go and couple wild coho. Home security and Irish cream. Also a few on the white ghost.

First time out with downriggers serviced at HC. One side counter not working. Other side the break was to loose. $50 down the drain, I guess.
Counters seem to be crappy on the newer riggers.

Hard to fish properly when you aren't sure what depth you are at.

Back