2024 Nanaimo Reports

Yeah, fishing the ditch can be especially entertaining in the crowd. In just one day I had a boat cut me off on the right because he was going faster than me while I had a boat coming at me on my left so I couldn't move over, another boat stopped right in my path and four guys all start jigging, and a guide from the lml pulled up right in front of me and dropped his lines and started on the same tack about three boat lengths in front of me. I hauled everything in and f**ked off after the third straw.
Fishing isn't supposed to be a stressful competition so I'm a weekday only guy out there now. Wednesday was great out there with our springs bonked in the first tack and not a single conflict lol.

Put in a pretty good shift on Fri eve at Entrance. No keeper springs, but a fair few unders as well as coho, 2 of which were clipped. Ran into several guys at the ramp with much the same results.
I'm joining the chorus of reports that couldn't seem to keep the big chinooks off when we couldn't keep them, but now that we can, fishing seems a little spotty. I'm sure it'll turn around soon.

Finally got out to Fingers yesterday evening after weeks off the water and fished a few hours up the high. Only one clipped coho, released half a dozen wild and one just-under spring and a few jacks. I too thought there would be a bit more chinook action given the past reports. I didn't see much consistent action on the other boats out there. Lots of small fish released and a few bonked here and there. May try a run up to Entrance this week if I get a chance. What's with the bad drivers out there? When I see a pack now I want to just go elsewhere because of the randomness of the circuit.

Put in a pretty good shift on Fri eve at Entrance. No keeper springs, but a fair few unders as well as coho, 2 of which were clipped. Ran into several guys at the ramp with much the same results.
I'm joining the chorus of reports that couldn't seem to keep the big chinooks off when we couldn't keep them, but now that we can, fishing seems a little spotty. I'm sure it'll turn around soon.
The DFO shell game is working

In the years before we got shut down I found the best chinook fishing locally was May and June. I don't believe that has changed; in fact the numbers out there in the early season were massive this year.
June at the hump was always an epic fishery. But no more unfortunately.

We were out Saturday from noon to dark. Jigged around Snake. There was a fair bit of bait around and marking fish but could not get anything to bite. Took some time off and went and jigged up a couple nice lings. Had dinner on the boat and started trolling around 6pm.
The bite hit for us around 7 and was total chaos till dark . I had a tough time keeping the gear down! We had 5 double headers.
I had my daughter, niece and nephew on the rods so it was pretty special!
Landed 2 out of 5 keeper chinooks and released around 12 more.

We were out Saturday from noon to dark. Jigged around Snake. There was a fair bit of bait around and marking fish but could not get anything to bite. Took some time off and went and jigged up a couple nice lings. Had dinner on the boat and started trolling around 6pm.
The bite hit for us around 7 and was total chaos till dark . I had a tough time keeping the gear down! We had 5 double headers.
My daughter had to work early on Sunday so we left at around 7, so it looks like we missed the bite! 😥

Thanks for the report. My buddy and I managed our 2 springs there in a couple of hours last night along with some other good action. I'm surprised more people don't try Snake, especially when Fingers/ Neck are spotty.

I was up last week and fished 7/15 to 7/17

Personally did very well on the strong ebb's, time of day didn't matter as long as it was ebbing. Maybe just got lucky but we nailed possession on nice springs and clipped Coho.

Fishing pretty deep off entrance
Ladysmith harbour and an RCA off of Gabriola??? are you sure about these areas, or was a mistake made here?

Thanks for the report. My buddy and I managed our 2 springs there in a couple of hours last night along with some other good action. I'm surprised more people don't try Snake, especially when Fingers/ Neck are spotty.
I have never tried Snake but have seen the boats out there. I would presume a troll along the west side drop-off outside the RCA? Maybe some jigging off the north end where it shallows up...

I have never tried Snake but have seen the boats out there. I would presume a troll along the west side drop-off outside the RCA? Maybe some jigging off the north end where it shallows up...
Just a reminder that area 17-13 including the waters west of snake to the fingers closes for chinook retention Aug 1st. But gtg until then.

Fished last night around Gabriola. Very slow. Picked a nice hatchery coho right in front the grande, and couple way under chinook.

Back