2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

you can use 2 hooks, the intent of the law is that a rig is set up to only catch one fish at a time. .. you can use 2 trebles if you want.. no barbs of course. this goes for any rig... bait, hootchie, jig, spreader bar, etc..
I hope you're right. but thats not the way it reads. Hooks on hoochies and jigs dont hold the bait. I've never heard of anyone fishing for salmon with a spreader bar. The below rule is for Salmon fishing only.

1717710552083.png

Heading up to port in a hour or so then running to bammy , heard its FINALLY calming down up there, and looks like timing is perfect for fishing,
Hope to see the usuall suspsects, searun ,derby etc if you see me say hi!!!

Heading up to port in a hour or so then running to bammy , heard its FINALLY calming down up there, and looks like timing is perfect for fishing,
Just missed you. We trolled swail yesterday and Wednesday and got 3 there over 10. Got one a Meer and one at the Harbour. Lots of fish being caught closer to Bamfield but we didn’t feel like it was worth the run from Barkley sound lodge with the time we had. SkinyG and Coho in golden nugget were the ticket but the stomachs had some nice size anchovies and herring in them so I would have tried bigger lures but I wasn’t on my boat.

Have fun boss!

I'll try bud we kept a nice one near Kirby 14 lb tossed back smaller. Small needle fish

Soon to be in Bamfield , what is the price of Anchovie bait and fuel ? appreciate some feedback , Thanks .

That's for sure ! being from the Kootenay's we are out of the loop for prices at the coast , curious for prices is all .

Wolf, I was on Danny Bishops boat when we talked to you outside of Bamfield. How did you make out?

Quick story;
Fishing off South West corner of Cree Island early this morning on a 2021 seadoo fish pro. Usually we would only go out with two skis, my wife took off camping so I went out solo. Low hour ski, freshly dealer serviced. It thru an "engine code" wouldn't start back up, this engine only has 70 hours on it. I paddled 1 nautical mile to where I know there is a safe anchorage behind Dicebox Island. Calm sea state & close to slack so minor current. Long story short I got to DiceBox set anchor, got into the engine compartment fixed it, rode home.

The reason I placed this in this section.... while paddling to Dice Box I had 4 boats drive close by me waking me out and not asking if I needed assistance. I have a cell phone, VHF, inReach etc was is no immediate danger hadn't called ch 16 or anything I had it under control. A check in or thumbs up would have been appreciated & not getting waked, thankfully I had the engine compartment closed/sealed up still.

We fish Renfrew to Quatsino, worked on the ocean year round towed lots of boats to a safe haven over the years and always check if folks are okay if I have any suspicion. We fish lots in our 19' alumn boat with a main & kicker will always stop to help and always will. I know being amped to fish the slack that's why I was there ha ha for the boats that passed me if I'm ever towing you in likely best not to bring this up ha ha, I'd get pretty grumpy but still tow you in.

I've fished the west coast off larger vessels we've owned down to paddle boards and Kayaks etc recognize the risk. I would have just texted a friend from Ukee or Bami to come grab me if I couldn't get it going again.

Quick story;
Fishing off South West corner of Cree Island early this morning on a 2021 seadoo fish pro. Usually we would only go out with two skis, my wife took off camping so I went out solo. Low hour ski, freshly dealer serviced. It thru an "engine code" wouldn't start back up, this engine only has 70 hours on it. I paddled 1 nautical mile to where I know there is a safe anchorage behind Dicebox Island. Calm sea state & close to slack so minor current. Long story short I got to DiceBox set anchor, got into the engine compartment fixed it, rode home.

The reason I placed this in this section.... while paddling to Dice Box I had 4 boats drive close by me waking me out and not asking if I needed assistance. I have a cell phone, VHF, inReach etc was is no immediate danger hadn't called ch 16 or anything I had it under control. A check in or thumbs up would have been appreciated & not getting waked, thankfully I had the engine compartment closed/sealed up still.

We fish Renfrew to Quatsino, worked on the ocean year round towed lots of boats to a safe haven over the years and always check if folks are okay if I have any suspicion. We fish lots in our 19' alumn boat with a main & kicker will always stop to help and always will. I know being amped to fish the slack that's why I was there ha ha for the boats that passed me if I'm ever towing you in likely best not to bring this up ha ha, I'd get pretty grumpy but still tow you in.

I've fished the west coast off larger vessels we've owned down to paddle boards and Kayaks etc recognize the risk. I would have just texted a friend from Ukee or Bami to come grab me if I couldn't get it going again.

Yeah but...

how was the fishing?

This would have made a good thread all on its own

Quick story;

Isn’t having a paddle “out” the international sign for distress 🤔

I think maybe I should try bamfeild this summer instead of Ucluelet
Seems from all I’ve read once out of the harbour drop balls and fish or am I dreaming
Any way lots of action close as weather permits
Typically wcf action
so for directions up past comox lake and how many klms to poet nook

I think maybe I should try bamfeild this summer instead of Ucluelet
Seems from all I’ve read once out of the harbour drop balls and fish or am I dreaming
Any way lots of action close as weather permits
Typically wcf action
so for directions up past comox lake and how many klms to poet nook
About 90 km from Port Alberni to Bamfield. 1.5 hours. Road is awesome. As for fishing, yes, you don't have to go very far from the entrance.

Poett Nook is 73 km from Port Alberni. Google maps is your friend.

what no one is telling you is it is hard to find camping or moorage in Bamfield , usually what is available is pretty much booked by now !! phone ahead for sure . also during the month of " Fogust" you will probably not loose a fishing day leave the harbour , drop some lines stay left or right
About 90 km from Port Alberni to Bamfield. 1.5 hours. Road is awesome. As for fishing, yes, you don't have to go very far from the entrance.

Poett Nook is 73 km from Port Alberni. Google maps is your friend.

Came up yesterday with the wife and her breast friend. Got the boat set up and hit ohuat for a pre
S C final fish. Couple small springs released and a legal ling on the troll which was a nice surprise.
This morning left grappler inlet and decided to do a bait check at the Wall. Hit my first spring 13lbs within 5 minutes. Had a double header of 5lb fish and another about 8 lbs released. Then hit a 15 lb fish and was done in under an hour.
@Loghauler . Your not dreaming. When there around you can definitely hit fish 5 minutes from your dock. Troll west to whittlestone or east down the wall. The beauty of bamfield is you can pick up and fish another spot inside of a 10 min run( Kirby, Sanford) if the wall doesnt produce.
All fish on white glo ogl55 hootchies
All hatchery and all stomachs empty
Capt. Mo

Back