2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

ok so i read the new fisheries notice [ fn043 ] about coho hatchery - wild for 23 and 123 and i understand it .
i also read the reminder fishery notice [ fn0498 ] and i do not understand it , question is , is area 23 and 123 exempt from marking ling cod on their license ? or does one mark the cod they retain from areas 23 and 123 on their license ? we only fish Bamfield one trip per year so it is not a problem just to be safe and mark any cod we might catch on our license , i was hoping someone could reply with the correct answer .
Thank you for any response .

ok so i read the new fisheries notice [ fn043 ] about coho hatchery - wild for 23 and 123 and i understand it .
i also read the reminder fishery notice [ fn0498 ] and i do not understand it , question is , is area 23 and 123 exempt from marking ling cod on their license ? or does one mark the cod they retain from areas 23 and 123 on their license ? we only fish Bamfield one trip per year so it is not a problem just to be safe and mark any cod we might catch on our license , i was hoping someone could reply with the correct answer .
Thank you for any response .
You do not need to put ling cod on your license in Bamfield area

Anyone have a inshore Bam Salmon report from the last two days? She don't look nice for this week. Might go hide over at Kirby etc.

Just got back, fished 3 days. Tough salmon fishing for us at Swale, Cree, Whittlestone - absolutely nothing. Finally found a few random one-off fish in Newcombe Channel and out towards Ukee fishing the bottom. It was frustrating to say the least. Heard reports of some doing very good - very curious where/what/how since the ocean is closed for salmon. What depths are those who are catching fishing for these winter/Spring salmon? I saw the trollers fishing out in the middle of the channels.

Yeah was great when we were in Barkley Saturday. Some good fish showing up. Weather looks nasty next few days so I am glad we went out then.

I am back Monday next week until Thursday. Looking forward to it.

It was a productive weekend for us. Lost a nice one this morning at Kirby and headed for the barn. Wind was pretty bad.

View attachment 106827
Yeah, that wasn't a great weather day. Came over from Ukee to fish the protected back side of effingham as Great Bear was to sporty for the crew. 5 spring goes in a half hour before the tide, then it turned off. A dozen 2-4lb coho (first ones I've seen in 24) in the first half of the ebb but no more springs until heading out around lunch. Better fishery considering the weather then I expected today to be honest.

Yeah, that wasn't a great weather day. Came over from Ukee to fish the protected back side of effingham as Great Bear was to sporty for the crew. 5 spring goes in a half hour before the tide, then it turned off. A dozen 2-4lb coho (first ones I've seen in 24) in the first half of the ebb but no more springs until heading out around lunch. Better fishery considering the weather then I expected today to be honest.
Heading to Barkley sound tomorrow. There until Sunday. You did well.

How is the crabbing in Bamfield? Will be up there mid June and have the use of a small zodiac and hope to crab. Any safe easy jigging opportunities within the bay? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah good call, I should have started there this am .

If I am reading the regs correctly Hoochies can only be fished with a single barbless hook. I know a lot of folks run tandem single barbless.
The regs say two hooks can only be used if fishing bait. Would a small herring strip on the hooks constitute fishing bait and allow tandem?
I prefer the single barbless siwash for release reasons, but will admit that tandem do seem to keep them pinned better.

If I am reading the regs correctly Hoochies can only be fished with a single barbless hook. I know a lot of folks run tandem single barbless.
The regs say two hooks can only be used if fishing bait. Would a small herring strip on the hooks constitute fishing bait and allow tandem?
I prefer the single barbless siwash for release reasons, but will admit that tandem do seem to keep them pinned better.
you can use 2 hooks, the intent of the law is that a rig is set up to only catch one fish at a time. .. you can use 2 trebles if you want.. no barbs of course. this goes for any rig... bait, hootchie, jig, spreader bar, etc..

Back