Status
Not open for further replies.
Too windy for the cruise ship, too windy to row.
20230925_081201.jpg

Saturday morning was good.

I was out Saturday as well and saw you rowing! I got out about 8am and fished until about 1. Caught my first coho by 8:30 and to my surprise it was clipped! Kept fishing but it was slow until around 10:30 when I started hitting them every 10 mins including 2 double headers. Only landed 1 of the 4 however which was about a 10-12lb wild coho. I measured it to be 70cm. By the time I quit I had 1 60cm clipped in the boat and released 5 wild. Most were around 5-7lbs.

Saturday. on Oak Bay flats. lots of boat out but not many fish caught. we fished from 10 to 1 and landed one 5 lb hatchery coho.

Bit of a weird day on the waterfront. Went out for the afternoon today with a buddy who hasn’t been out yet this year. Kind of looking to just shoot the sh%^ and maybe grab a couple coho. Launched out of Esquimalt dropped a couple crab traps near Saxe and had lines down about 12:40. Within about 10 minutes we had a fish on. My friend reeled it in and I grabbed the line to look at it in the water. It was a clipped coho about 50 cm but we decided it was pretty small so we let it go. Worked our way toward Brotchie fishing out a bit deep in 180’ of water. Got to Brotchie with no bites and started doing some loops south of the lighthouse. Nothing happening so I steered the boat out to deeper water toward Port Angeles. At about 200’ right rod gets a hard hit and my buddy points at it. It’s off the clip in the air and the freaking reel is just spinning like crazy and the line is bird nesting off the reel!! WTF!! I grabbed the rod and tightened the drag and started reeling in with a mess of line on the reel. I got the fish in pretty quick and my buddy netted it. It was about a 6-7 lb wild so we kept it. Apparently when I took one of my Amundsen reels apart yesterday for maintenance I may have screwed up the drag washer order so the drag was obviously not working right. Put that rod away and pulled out my spare. Trolled near Brotchie and out further for a couple more hours with no bites. Decided to grab a big spoon and my spinning rod and throw it out the back just outside the prop wash. Trolled back toward Mcauley with nothing happening. Almost about to pack it in at 4 when BOOM, the center rod starts screaming line. I grabbed the rod and tightened the drag and gave it to my buddy. It took a few minutes but he got it in and I netted it. Turned out to be a 10lb wild coho. Was pretty shocked to get that nice fish on the center rod on the surface! What a rush! Pulled all the gear in and went to check the traps. Unfortunately out of 2 traps we only had 1 keeper red rock so we threw that back and headed back to the launch.
Overall a pretty slow day but beautiful out there!

Attachments

• IMG_4256.jpeg
    IMG_4256.jpeg
    361.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_4255.jpeg
    IMG_4255.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 152
Thought I'd give bottom fish one last crack in Oak Bay. Three greenling and two legal lings. kept one 17 lb. Two greenlings liberated, one too worse for ware to release. Sure was nice out there.
That’s a dandy and tasty looking ling!
Congrats!!

On the water at 7:20, off by 10 with a two coho. 1 hatchery, 1 wild. 3" spoon about 30' deep between 120' and 140' in front of Macaulay point. Weaving in and out of the loose kelp on the tide-line.

On the water at 7:20, off by 10 with a two coho. 1 hatchery, 1 wild. 3" spoon about 30' deep between 120' and 140' in front of Macaulay point. Weaving in and out of the loose kelp on the tide-line.
Nice work! What is your weight/ flasher setup there? Thinking it could be a better setup than just a banana weight and herring for the “whisky rod” out the center when trolling Downriggers.

Nice work! What is your weight/ flasher setup there? Thinking it could be a better setup than just a banana weight and herring for the “whisky rod” out the center when trolling Downriggers.
Today I was using 8 oz sliders at 90' of line. 4 to 5 kph.
20231004_195021.jpg

They're still out there. Same, a little deeper due to sunlight. A little trickier when you forget your net.
Screenshot_20231005_134211_Boating.jpg

Sitting at home watching football this am and the sun was out so it got me thinkin about going out for a boat ride. Couldn’t muster up a mate so packed a lunch and headed to Esq. Dropped a trap in my honey hole and headed away from all the kelp close to shore. Went out solo by the lone freighter and got a few shakers but was slow. About 2pm the port rod came off the clip but when I got to it it was off but the other side was bouncing and that was a feeder spring which may have been legal but I was looking for one a bit bigger. A few more shakers then at 3pm it was double headers and non stop action with some decent fighting fish.lots of fish on the sounder and I think I got one of those hehe. That top 40ft is jellyfish. Tubbed a 65 cm and got another a bit smaller but its belly was huge. I wished I got a pic as I’ve not seen such a disproportionate fish. Well over 15 fish to the boat so it was a great afternoo. I was happy with my aft of fishing but my crab trap was a lunch box let down.

Attachments

• D114E239-D458-4CC6-A4D2-A9D4ECD1B8E9.jpeg
    D114E239-D458-4CC6-A4D2-A9D4ECD1B8E9.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 165
  • D5B5AD59-7D68-4B7C-A6FB-2832D9A6FCCF.jpeg
    D5B5AD59-7D68-4B7C-A6FB-2832D9A6FCCF.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 170
  • A95783AA-7AF6-4237-8BF3-610EB19C5CC6.jpeg
    A95783AA-7AF6-4237-8BF3-610EB19C5CC6.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Status