2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Good News!

The windows arrived, they look great and they fit. Robert has one installed and the rest will be going in tomorrow.

As previously discussed, due to a shortage of the chemical needed to anodize the window frames, the window frames were powder coated to match the rest of the power coated surfaces on the boat.

I will post up photos late tomorrow if possible.

Good News!

The windows arrived, they look great and they fit. Robert has one installed and the rest will be going in tomorrow.

As previously discussed, due to a shortage of the chemical needed to anodize the window frames, the window frames were powder coated to match the rest of the power coated surfaces on the boat.

Such great news bill, something we have all been long awaiting!

Good News!

I’m convinced there is not one thing in the world right now that isn’t in short supply. I’m a commercial glazier and we don’t have problems getting anodized material but PPG has a shortage of something required for their paint so painted orders are next to impossible to get for a bit.

nothing wrong with a powder coat. Still very durable for your boat

Great news, especially them fitting! I was sure your windows were on their way to Ottawa if you believe my friends on Facebook. What date are you thinking of cracking that champagne?

Well in the next few days the boat gets put on a Breakers Marine Trailer , pulled out of the shed. Then the tower goes on SeaComm pops by and checks out all the electronics outside of Robert's metal building.

Once everything checks out, and we pop over for a final inspection. This will include Robert showing us the battery to shore power switching process, We will film that and we get a run though on all the things on the boat, and the radar mast is lowered the boat and the Breakers Trailer heads over for the engines,

Then we go back over to Port Alberni for the Christening and Sea Trials. Non alcoholic Champers we don't drink.

Then the Surveyor does his thing, we wait for a good weather window, and then Breakers trailers the boat to Nanaimo, I hire a Captain and we bring the boat across to YVR.

Safety first.

Why hire a captain ?
Wouldn't you want to pilot the
maiden voyage?
Good questions

Well I am a lifetime fresh water boater so I thought my first crossing of the straight should not be a "hold my beer and watch this" event.

When I said I am going to hire a Captain, it doesn't mean I am not going to be at the wheel. I am going to be gleaning as much knowledge as possible all the way across. Think of it as a private lesson.

Since our moorage is at Reed Point we have to pass under both the Lions Gate and Second Narrows Bridge and enjoy the business end of the inner harbour with Sea Buses, Seaplanes and lots of other marine activity.

I hope that my reasons makes sense to you

Good questions

Well I am a lifetime fresh water boater so I thought my first crossing of the straight should not be a "hold my beer and watch this" event.

When I said I am going to hire a Captain, it doesn't mean I am not going to be at the wheel. I am going to be gleaning as much knowledge as possible all the way across. Think of it as a private lesson.

Since our moorage is at Reed Point we have to pass under both the Lions Gate and Second Narrows Bridge and enjoy the business end of the inner harbour with Sea Buses, Seaplanes and lots of other marine activity.

I hope that my reasons makes sense to you
Cautious and responsible, good on you. Give it time to feel 100% comfortable with everything going on in front of you.

The bow hatch (24 x24) has been installed and we had the great unveiling.

Veiled

View attachment 74395

Unveiled

View attachment 74396

I remember when we were discussing hatch sizes and I went to Staples and got some packing cardboard and cut different size hatch openings in them until I was able to find a hatch that gave me the room to make a quick exit.
I have really enjoyed this build thread and I am looking forward to seeing your boat on the water. Just wanted to mention that some times the bow hatch is mounted with the hinge mounted forward so if the hatch is not dogged down properly or forgotten the wind won't catch it and slam it into you cabin widow and on a nice day it also lets you leave it partial open under way if you wanted to.

I have really enjoyed this build thread and I am looking forward to seeing your boat on the water. Just wanted to mention that some times the bow hatch is mounted with the hinge mounted forward so if the hatch is not dogged down properly or forgotten the wind won't catch it and slam it into you cabin widow and on a nice day it also lets you leave it partial open under way if you wanted to.
We went through that discussion. Robert asked me If I was ever going to run the boat with the bow hatch open. I told him nope, never.

He said then we mount it like it is so if you have to get out fast you have a clear deck to exit onto and not be dealing with being jammed up by the windshield

We have the cabin roof hatch to run open as an air scoop.

Good question thanks

Last edited:
We went through that discussion. Robert asked me If I was ever going to run the boat with the bow hatch open. I told him nope, never.

He said then we mount it like it is so if you have to get out fast you have a clear deck to exit onto and not be dealing with being jammed up by the windshield

We have the cabin roof hatch to run open as an air scoop.

Good question thanks
Some of those hatches, Lewmar, have a double dog latch, so you can leave it open a crack very securely. It's like air conditioning on the hot stale days.

Some of those hatches, Lewmar, have a double dog latch, so you can leave it open a crack very securely. It's like air conditioning on the hot stale days.
That's what I do with mine. Hot days you open her all up just before sunset and go on a cooling run. Having the lock open position is key.

Do they not make marine hatches with variable fans? The ones in our work trucks can stay attached to the hatch and fold up with it or lock into place all controlled remotely or manually.

Build update.

Gavin from SeaComm needs to check things (Radar, Radio, etc. outside of Robert's shop) and the mast that holds all the electronic sensors (Radar Dome, Antennas, remote Spotlight, etc.) can swing up and down for travel.

This is where the island marine industry really pulled together. Breakers Marine is dropping off a trailer Monday and Robert will fit the boat to the trailer and get it all strapped down. Gavin and Robert will get the radar mast stepped and test the electronics.

Thursday, Mark Ralston from Vancouver Island Marine Surveyors will come by and do the boat and electrical part of the survey.

https://www.facebook.com/vimarinesurveyors/?modal=admin_todo_tour

That way if anything needs to be done it can be done before the boat goes to Breakers Marine and Mark can see when he does the final inspection at Breakers. Having the survey done is two parts will cost a bit more but it just makes sense to do it that way.

Later this week (Friday) Breakers will pick up the boat on their trailer and take it to Port Alberni to install the motors and when that is done we will head over for the christening and test ride, and I might add our first ride in a JaxonCraft, any JaxonCraft.

The powder coated window frames look great and match the rest of the powder coated pieces on the boat.

1643574066665.png

1643574095575.png

1643574150174.png

1643574228410.png

1643574288473.jpeg

So when the boat was being built I asked Robert to mount Yeti strap mounts in two places on the floor. Robert tapped into the floor and the Yeti loops fit flush and we can add a second 65 Litre Yeti cooler and have them both strapped down.

1643575893874.png

The Stern walkthrough is finished with inspection ports

1643576003717.png

A nice view looking up into the cabin

1643576076654.png

Note the coat hooks (2 per side) and you can see from the light the screened windows (Screens all around) Radar Dome waiting to be mounted when the boat is outside.

I was quite pleased to be able to find Rok Straps in a camel brown to use for the over cushion tie downs. (see black loops on seat box)

1643576193477.png

1643576466220.png

Angled Stern Shot of the boat showing boarding ladder in the run not climb position

1643579000081.png

Rear Seat looking back from the cabin door (note fold flat stainless steel cupholders one on each side)

1643577965576.png

White Aluminum fans (variable speed)

1643578091737.png

Cabin Hatch (hinged to the stern)

1643578225588.png

Inside Window Trim

1643578293421.png

Attachments

• 1643578408017.png
    1643578408017.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 1643578555100.png